Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

North Hermitage, Shrewsbury still exists - put it into Googlemaps - it looks quite prosperous.

You might be able to find who lived there either from a local directory of from electoral roll. For those I would contact the local archive office: https://www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives/

custard_pot

I have found birth registration for him Name: Leonard G Hawke
    Mother's Maiden Surname: Hawkes
    Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1916
    Registration district: Atcham
    Inferred County: Shropshire
    Volume Number: 6a
    Page Number: 978

Christine

custard_pot

I have found this 1911 census

Name: Leonard James Hawkes
    Age in 1911: 11
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1900
    Relation to Head: Nephew
    Birth Place: Lowestoft, Suffolk, England
    Civil Parish: Oulton Broad
    County/Island: Suffolk
    Street address: 2 Garfield Cottages, Hall Road, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft
    Registration district: Mutford
    Registration District Number: 218
    Sub registration district: Oulton Broad
    ED, institution, or vessel: 10
    Household schedule number: 137
    Piece: 11033
    Household Members:
    Name Age
    George Hawkes 56
    Martha Maria Hawkes 50
    Leonard James Hawkes 11

1901 census

Name: Leonard Hawkes
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1899
    Relation to Head: Son
    Father: Henry Hawkes
    Mother: Eliza Hawkes
    Birth Place: Oulton, Suffolk, England
    Civil Parish: Oulton
    Ecclesiastical parish: Oulton St Michael
    County/Island: Suffolk
    Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View image
    Registration district: Mutford
    Sub-registration district: Lowestoft
    ED, institution, or vessel: 23
    Neighbors: View others on page
    Piece: 1807
    Folio: 9
    Page Number: 9
    Household schedule number: 56
    Household Members:
    Name Age
    Henry Hawkes 41
    Eliza Hawkes 36
    William Hawkes 15
    George Hawkes 14
    Albert Hawkes 13
    Leonard Hawkes 2

Christine

Wilkes_ml

It doesn't look as though the 1901 & 1911 census are related, as that Leonard James HAWKES would have only been 15 at the time of Leonard Gilbert's birth...though not impossible I know.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

#13 I too had discounted this HAWKES.

Your starting point seems to be the address at North Hermitage Shrewsbury. These look substantial houses & a quick look at the 1911 census suggests professional occupants.Insurance managers / Architect / Civil Servant

Whilst you have no 2 and most of the houses have been given names you may need to check the registers on either side of the birth date. What was known as no 2 in 1915 may not be that number now!

My Gran's house in 1918 was no 5 ( 1,2,3,4,5,)sometime years later it became and still is no 10 (2,4,6,8,10)

Wilkes_ml

looking on the 1911 census there is a "2 Mona Villas" at North Hermitage Street, Shrewsbury with a Beatrice Parker or Barker? as a servant, which makes me wonder if this Beatrice may have been Leonard Gilbert's mother. Maybe she did marry, so it may be worth looking to see if there is a Barker/Parker/Hawkes marriage after 1911 in this area.

custard_pot

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    looking on the 1911 census there is a "2 Mona Villas" at North Hermitage Street, Shrewsbury with a Beatrice Parker or Barker? as a servant, which makes me wonder if this Beatrice may have been Leonard Gilbert's mother. Maybe she did marry, so it may be worth looking to see if there is a Barker/Parker/Hawkes marriage after 1911 in this area.
    Please can you give me some details on the 1911 census as I cannot find it. Where was Beatrice born? birth year, Name of head

Thank you
    Christine

Wilkes_ml

Sure, she is in the household of Arthur William EATON, aged 44, an Insurance clerk born Kildare Currugh? , his wife Mariann EATON, aged 47 born Dudley, Worcestershire, and their child Arthur Clemant EATON aged 10 born Shrewsbury.. Beatrice (indexed as BARKER) is aged 23 born Wolverhampton, Staffordshire (Ref: RG14; Piece: 16078; Schedule Number: 327)

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by custard_pot View Post
    I have found birth registration for him Name: Leonard G Hawke
    Mother's Maiden Surname: Hawkes Christine
    Just noticed this, and this usually is a clear sign of illegitimacy, though there is a small chance she married a cousin/uncle etc, even smaller chance that she finds someone with same name as her unless there are a lot of Hawkes in the area.

edited to say...I'd already seen that he had a birth certificate...I'm having a bad memory day toda

I've also been "walking" down the North Hermitage Street via the census pages, and these houses do appear to show wealth, as they all have 8-9 rooms, usually have a name rather than a number, and the heads of households do seem to have good jobs, which is why I would suspect it would be unlikely for a family member living at the address to give a baby up. I would have guessed at just a speedy marriage, unless the father was really low class and a quiet adoption was deemed more appropriate.

It would be interesting to take a look at North Hermitage Street 10 years earlier in the 1901 census to see if these occupants were stable or mobile...were there any other servants around with the surname Hawkes etc.

Wilkes_ml

I've found North Hermitage Street in 1901 RG13/2537 folios 132 pg 17 to folio 133 pg 20. What I find interesting is that some of the inhabitants are in fact teachers, but none with the surname Hawkes, so maybe Leonard Gilbert's mother was a teacher's assistant or a servant in a neighbouring house.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast