Very quick off the mark.

Default Radio Times 1923 - 2009 Show TV Channels

The BBC has launched its Genome Projects which Lists the information printed in Radio Times between 1923 and 2009. You can search the site for BBC programmes, people, dates and Radio Times editions.

I found it interesting to see that on the day I was born in 1947 BBC televisions started broadcasting at 3.00 p.m. and closed down at about 10.00 p.m. - after the news which was in sound only.

How very different from today with its multiplicity of channels and 24 hour broadcasting.

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/

Another little bit of background to help to add context to peoples' lives, maybe.

Maggie

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Also at that time you would not have been able to view it unless you lived within range of the Alexandra Palace transmitter in London. The first broadcasts outside that area were in 1949 from Sutton Coldfield

Quote Originally Posted by margarita View Post

I found it interesting to see that on the day I was born in 1947 BBC televisions started broadcasting at 3.00 p.m. and closed down at about 10.00 p.m. - after the news which was in sound only.

How very different from today with its multiplicity of channels and 24 hour broadcasting.
    Ha! On the day I was born everything stopped for Wimbledon coverage. Plus ca change......
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids