Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1851 census and Wm McCarthy to be found

Earlier today I followed a link from the getting started section of the forums and found a website that had surnames from different census fragments all listed together alphabetically (it had a light green background I think - set up in a huge grid.) this evening I went to the same link, but somehow cannot find my way back to the index - anyone know what the direct website is? Thanks!!

Christina

ps - I'm now on my computer and the gadget I used to access the website earlier is not here with me at the moment

Hello Christina

I have no idea which link/website you found but if it is a look up of the 1851 census you need you could always give us the names, year and place born and one of us will look it up for you.
    When you say you followed a link from the getting started section of the forums do you mean the Brit-Gen Forum page was your starting point or as happens with some people they come to Brit-Gen from the website of our sponsors Forces War Records.

A more experienced Mod or a member will be along to help you (and me)

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi there Christina!

I was just on my way to pop over here and say I finally found it when my husband returned with the iPad I used earlier to access it -
    but I was so excited to get the data I'd found off of it I had to do that part first.

can the link be posted or not?
    it was something I found via a different link posted here on the forums.

I'm preparing a detailed post with all the name/date/place info for questions I have but I want to make a phone call tomorrow (ok, it's nearly 2am - later today) before I post it.

Thanks!
    Christina

Hi

So glad you found it! Please do post the link. If for some reason it isn't allowed one of us mods can fix it.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

https://nifhs.org/census.htm

it gives a list of Irish-born living in England, which was not at all where I expected to find my family, but I think that's just what I did. I'll write up a research post later this evening if I get a chance - see if anyone else thinks it's a possibility. I called the cemetery today where I think this person is buried but the woman I spoke to couldn't get access to records far enough back. She said she will leave a note for the historian who comes in once a week on Saturdays and I should call her (the historian) then because they have great big books of the information from the earlier burials. We'll see. If I am right, it's going to open up all kinds of things I had no idea happened.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello & welcome
    which was not at all where I expected to find my family
    You linked into a Family History Society for a description of these.....www.ffhs.org.uk/

Sorted, the link you picked up was connected to the Northern Ireland Family History Society.

The spreadsheet you found was the Society's way of recording what is commonly known as 'STRAYS'

These are persons found out of the area in which they were born. For e.g

1881 census
    reference RG11/472 folio 58
    Address 225 Commercial Road, Tower Hamlets, London
    ADAMS Lewis John
    described in his relationship to the head of the hold as a Servant
    He was Unmarried & aged 21
    employed as a Drapers assistant
    born Navin, W Donegal

You would need to refer to the 1881 England census to see the entry for him

The 1851 & 1881 census are free to use and both can be found on familysearch.org or you can register with a subscription site, however remember to cancel your card details if you so not think you wish to remain with the site

Another site that will assist www.freebmd,org.uk

Certificates are purchased via www.gro.gov.uk cost £9.25

Thank You!

By 1881 this ancestor had crossed the pond and passed away (before 1870 actually) which was why I went back to the 1851 to start with.

I tried the freebmd website with not much luck on any of the names I have on my list so far, but I have bookmarked it for future reference just in case.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Try us with a name / year of birth etc and let's see how we can help you ( well those who are on the day shift now!!!)

jx

Ok, I'm working on dinner now will try to put it together after that

I have loads of questions unanswered as I start to dive in on different lines of Irish ancestry.

I want to start with one of my McCarthy lines (I have three! so far none connected) as that is one of two family lines I have the most information on.

I do not know if this post should be here, in County Cork, or in Brick Walls - but here goes.

I have a William H McCarthy. born around 1833 in Ireland. Family lore says he was from/born in Cork (my dad's 83yr old cousin says he thinks City of Cork, but I believe "a grain of salt" until I have this confirmed). He married Letitia Bulfin - I'm not exactly sure where or when, but likely just prior to the 1860 US Census. The same cousin of my dad's believes that the family spent time in Canada first before coming to the US. I have been unable to find any trace of him in Canada. I have not been able to find travel documents for him, nor any possible Naturalizations, though I believe I know the whyfore wherefore of that one. The ONLY “confirmed” record of him I have been able to find, he appears in Detroit Michigan in the 1860 census, age 27, Born Ireland with wife Letitia, age 25, born Ireland and a servant, Anna Dawson, age 16, b. Canada. No children. Letitia shows up in the 1870 census as head of household/widow, I believe having taken over his job to support the 4 children who are brn since the previous census. She never remarried. I recently found her burial via Find-a-Grave - I contacted the cemetery this morning to find out of William is also buried there but they were unable to confirm either of them being there. They want me to call back on Saturday when the historian will be there who can check other sources. I think he is there as I have reason to believe she died in Nebraska and was taken back to Detroit, guessing to be buried with him. I have located a Detroit death record of a William H McCarthy in 1868 via familysearch which the dates make sense, the only part that is off is place of birth given is New York rather than Ireland. if the dates match up with the burial in the cemetery, I think it would confirm that the death record is the one we’re looking for, but again, have to wait for the cemetery historian on Saturday. In the meantime in the above referenced link, I found a family with the mother Margaret head of household, widowed, living with 4 sons, one of them being a William, age 17. The death information I found on familysearch had parents listed as John and Margaret, so I’m wondering if this could be my William. The brothers listed are John, Thomas and Martin. I know in later generations, John and William are both used over and over and over again, and Thomas suddenly becomes a favorite for middle names.

I have loads of information on the family moving forward from there - I know where each of the 4 children wound up, etc - but here are my missing pieces:

WHEN did William immigrate to the US?
    Did he indeed come through Canada?
    Did the whole family come together? because of John’s death (if these records are ours?)

When and where did he marry Letitia? Canada or US?

I have an immigration record that COULD be Letitia, coming in via Philadelphia with a younger sister (or maybe a cousin?) so I believe the marriage to have been in either Canada or the US. I found one of the sons marriage took place in Windsor Ontario, which is just across the river from Detroit Michigan. William (Jr) on some records lists birthplace as Windsor Ontario, and sometimes he gives Detroit Michigan, but since William and Letitia lived in Michigan in 1860 with no children listed, and also appear in Detroit during the 1870 census, I'm guessing they were all born in Detroit (I have not been able to find birth records either place so far). I do have a picture of a house labeled as”family birth house” but no other info given on it.

Any ideas where to look or search would be helpful - but please know that I am currently a "stay at home mom" with zero budget for paying for documents at the moment. So any paid site ideas will have to wait a few years till I go back to work

Thanks so much for reading! Let me know any questions, but I think I have included all the information I currently have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast