Thread: PASLEY surname

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default PASLEY surname

Is anyone researching the PASLEY family in the 19th century?
    I have a Sadie Jane Tuson who married a Gilbert Kennedy Pasley in 1894. His parents were Edward William and Frances Letitia (nee Huddleston)
    I have lots of information on Sadie, her parents and descendants, but I would like to find out about Gilbert's ancestors.

Since it's not an extremely common name, and you have the names of his parents, your best option would be to use the census to track his family backwards. The marriage certificate of his parents should also give you enough info to identify them, although I have to admit that I can't find a marriage between Edward & Frances in England & Wales (on FreeBMD).

More info would be useful. How old was Gilbert when he married? Where were they living? Where have you looked?

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Since it's not an extremely common name, and you have the names of his parents, your best option would be to use the census to track his family backwards. The marriage certificate of his parents should also give you enough info to identify them, although I have to admit that I can't find a marriage between Edward & Frances in England & Wales (on FreeBMD).

More info would be useful. How old was Gilbert when he married? Where were they living? Where have you looked?
    Sorry Lesley, Edward married Frances in New Zealand in 1858 - that is why you couldn't find their marriage.

I have downloaded most of the Pasley births, marriages and deaths from the NZ BMD web site and I am wondering if Edward was related to any of the other Pasley persons who married in New Zealand around the same period (1850 - 1870).

I have found a possible Edward W (born 1836) in both the 1841 and 1851 census returns for Macaulay Buildings, Lyncombe & Widcombe, Bath - HO107/931/13/46/19 and HO107/1942/143/14 for 1841 and 1851 respectively. I cannot find a migration record for Edward.

The Pasley family is simply a twig in the main TUSON tree that I am researching, so my post was just out of curiosity.

David

Have you checked New Zealand Papers on line?
    paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgl-bin/paperspast

The Nelson Examiner 27 Dec 1851 has a report of a Pasley arriving from London 25 Dec 1851 - sadly no initials/given name.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Have you checked New Zealand Papers on line?
    paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgl-bin/paperspast

The Nelson Examiner 27 Dec 1851 has a report of a Pasley arriving from London 25 Dec 1851 - sadly no initials/given name.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look at that site in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by David Tuson View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look at that site in a few minutes.
    Just had a quick look at Papers Past and even though there are no initials, as you mentioned, for the arrival of the "Maori" in 1851, I found a reference to an E W Pasley attending a meeting at the Wairau Hotel in 1857. I'll go back to the site later today and look at ALL the newspapers which contain the surname PASLEY.
    Many thanks for pointing me in this direction.
    David

Before posting, I had had a very quick spot check around this site (1839 - 1860) using search key "pasley". The 1851 item looked "promising". Would endorse your checking every reference of this name.

The 1894 marriage can be readily found.

re

I am slowly but surely going through the 8,000+ occurrences of the Pasley surname on Papers Past and a few minutes ago came across an item confirming that Edward did indeed arrive in New Zealand in 1851 on board the Maori. The item also gave details of his father and place of birth, partially confirming the 1841 and 1851 census transcriptions.
    This exercise started as a "curiosity" of the twig on the TUSON tree but has become much more interesting than idle curiosity and my findings so far and in the remaining newspaper articles will add some more colour and substance to my research. Guess the TUSONs will have to go on the back-burner for a wee while.

Certainly beats my "spot check"!