John Mitchell

Default Cornwall tin miner

Although born in Hatherleigh, Devon, my grandfather was a tin miner in Cornwall
    Born Hatherleigh 6th April 1899.
    I can confirm before he departed for New Zealand in 1929 he lived at 6 Albert St, Camborne, with his wife and two and possibly three male infants; from 1927-1929.
    I believe he married Ida Clemence Rowe, registered at Redruth in 1926
    I am looking for any mining details for William John Mitchell-Harris, Mitchell or Harris as the family name changed during this period.
    In NZ he was known as Jack Mitchell, but to his wife he was known as Willie.
    Any help or leads would be appreciated

Growing old Disgracefully

have you found him in the census yet

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    have you found him in the census yet
    Sandyhall - from reading post #17 in this thread, I would assume that John has his family tree sorted back to 1838, and is asking only (as per his post #1 in this thread)
    . . . for any mining details for William John Mitchell-Harris, Mitchell or Harris as the family name changed during this period.
    Pam

Growing old Disgracefully

He married as a Mitchell

Marriages Dec 1926
    Mitchell William J H Redruth 5c 431
    Rowe Ida C Redruth 5c 431

thewideeyedowl

Default Mining archives

Hi John

This website is devoted to the Cornish Mining Heritage and provides a lot of background info: https://www.cornish-mining.org.uk/delving-deeper. It also traces the spread of Cornish miners and mining skills worldwide, so have a good click-around.

Archives relating to mining are held at the Cornwall Record Office: https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/community...ng/?page=14590. There is an online catalogue of the holdings but I do not think anything can be viewed online.

If he emigrated, there might have been a small report in the local newspaper(s) so you could check out the British Newspaper Archive - a subscription site - to see if you can find anything. (Incidentally, if you have a sub to FMP, you will be able to see most (all?) of the BNA holdings there. The sites are owned by the same company.)

Sorry that there is nothing specific here but it might give a few pointers.

Owl