Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Hi
    So according to the Canada 1861 census there are two children born in Brampton, Ann E and Margaret J who's birth was registered March 1/4 1852 Brampton vol 10 page 334. I see where the 1901 Canada census says immigrated 1854 but memories of the participants can get a little hazy over time so it may be an idea to widen the search a little on either side of that date.

There is a tree on ancestry which has Jane's parents as Jane Drape and John Nixon of Wigtown. I would say this has to be suspect and does not tie in with the 1851 census where young Ann Elizabeth is with her grandparents John and Ann. Never take other people's trees as gospel until proven correct.

I think this is your Jane in the 1841 census in Brampton. HO107 piece 167 book 10 folio 13 page 21
    She is a servant with the Willbourne family who's head is an ironmonger.

If you look on familysearch.org you will see 3 or 4 baptism entries for Jane in Brampton with parents John and Anne. One of the entries says birth place Burns and the others baptismal place Brampton. Burns is about 40 miles SW of Brampton.

From familysearch.org a possible marriage for Jane's parents
    John Nixon
    Spouse - Ann Moses
    Married 17 Mar 1810
    At Brampton, Cumberland, England

To be absolutely sure you are on the right track you need John Martin and Jane Nixon's marriage certificate.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Valued member of Brit-Gen SandraL's Avatar

Never take other people's trees as gospel until proven correct.

That is so true as I had found an article online about Anne's youngest brother and it states in this article there were 7 children from John and Jane but this person had 9 children on their tree list. And I would be more inclined to believe the article I found since that info came directly from Anne's sibling Joseph Martin 1866-1970. And Joe was very on the ball till the day he died at age 104.

And thanks everyone for your input.

Growing old Disgracefully

It has got confusing as there are 2 Brampton towns in England (that I've found so there may be more)

Both taken from Wikipedia

1 in Cambridgeshire - Brampton is a village near Godmanchester south west of Huntingdon, in the Huntingdonshire non-metropolitan district of Cambridgeshire. Brampton has a long history and is mentioned in the Domesday Book: there was a church and priest at Brampton in 1086.

1 in Cumbria - Brampton is a small market town and civil parish within the City of Carlisle district of Cumbria, England. The town was founded in the 7th century as an Anglian settlement.

janbooth

There is only 1 Jane NIXON on the Cambs FHS Baptismal Index 1801-37 and that is at Wisbech St Peter in 1802, daughter of John & Mary NIXON, so perhaps you can rule out Cambridgeshire as a place of birth for your Jane.

Janet

Hi
    I have just taken a look at the 1841 and 1851 censuses and I can't see a Jane Nixon in Cambridge. Also the marriage did take place in Brampton Cumberland and the daughter Ann Elizabeth was born there in 1849.
    Maybe in the past a rellie was told Jane was born Brampton and they just assumed it was Brampton Cambridge?

Christina

Added: thanks for the confirmation Janet
    William Burroughs

John's father was Elisha Martin 1800-?

Where did you get this information from ?

Where was John Martin born as we should be able to find him on the 1851 census possibly as a gardener and maybe with a bit of luck still on her fathers estate if they where gentry (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    I have just taken a look at the 1841 and 1851 censuses and I can't see a Jane Nixon in Cambridge. Also the marriage did take place in Brampton Cumberland and the daughter Ann Elizabeth was born there in 1849.
    Maybe in the past a rellie was told Jane was born Brampton and they just assumed it was Brampton Cambridge?

Christina

Added: thanks for the confirmation Janet
    Christina and Janet I couldn't find anything either.

But I did find "House of Names.com"

Nixon Name History

First found in Cumberland where they held a family seat from early times and there first record appear on the early Census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of Taxation of their subjects

Just having a look at all the other Family Trees for John Martin on Ancestry funny how none of them have any census records for him they only have Canadian records saved for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Just having a look at all the other Family Trees for John Martin on Ancestry funny how none of them have any census records for him they only have Canadian records saved for him.
    I think this should be purchased

Marriages Sept 1/4 1851
    John Martin
    Jane Nixon
    Brampton vol 25 page 27
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Here is Ann Elizabeth with her grandparents in 1851
    1851 HO107 Piece 2427 Folio 190 Page 9
    Back street Brampton
    John Nixon 67 ag lab Bewcastle, Cumberland
    Ann Nixon 62 Farlam, Cumberland
    Elizabeth Nixon 32 dau dressmaker Farlam, Cumberland
    Jacob Nixon 15 apprentice clogger Brampton, Cumberland
    Ann E Nixon 1 granddaughter Brampton, Cumberland
    Robert Smith 13 nephew Brampton, Cumberland

Hi Sandyhall
    So do you think we are on the right track?

Yes. I think this is the right family as I just other children janes siblings on IGI.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast