Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WW1 LAKE TANGANYIKA

HI anyone know any information about George Sydney Tasker.Rank -Signalman, born 5th Feb 1893.i have little information and would like to know more his was my grandfather .thanks: flo

Welcome to British-Genealogy

The National Archives has a file for a George Sydney Tasker born 5 Feb 1893, able seaman Here You can download it for a small payment.

This is another one Here

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Of course it would be easier to help you if you provided more info. For a start, did he survive the war? Do you know his number? And what has Lake Tanganyika to do with your search?

Hi thanks Christanel and Lesley for your reply,Lesley it was called battle of lake Tanganyika (i think?)The only information that i have is his service Number London3/2502
    Rank-signal man ,but i try archive records which i did not find much information about him.May be there is something am doing wrong.Yes he surived the war and died in Africa.i have a book mimi and toutou go forth by Giles Foden which has a mention about him but not much. Please let me know if there is a web site i can may be try. Thanks

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Having had a quick read about the Battle of Lake Tanganyika, it would seem that George was in the navy as opposed to the army (which signalman might imply).
    From what I read in the Royal Navy section here any records about George are likely to be at The National Archives at Kew.
    The files which Christina found will probably list the ships he was on and the dates. If they're like my grandfather's they will also tell you where he was born - an important factor if you want to trace his parents, siblings, grandparents, etc. Doubly important given that there is no birth registration in England and Wales for a George Sydney/Sidney Tasker in 1893. Though there is one in 1894.

Pam

George Sydney Tasker was born 5/2/1893 - his father was Ernest Tasker and lived at 47 Hessel Rd, West Ealing. He was mobilised on 6th August 1914 and served on OTARANTO which was an armed merchant cruiser.

A signalman is also a Naval rating. He was awarded the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Regards
    Hugh

SueNSW

The two records at the NA are for the Royal Naval Division - and the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve - this explains why his number is not in the normal RN type (A letter - designating the branch followed by a 5 digit number)

He enlisted in the RND on 10th August 1911

The records will hopefully make interesting reading

Quote Originally Posted by SueNSW View Post
    He enlisted in the RND on 10th August 1911
    Sue, I would suggest he enlisted in the RNVR in 1911 as the RND was only formed in 1914 due to the surplus of Naval personnel at the beginning of the war who were unable to find positions at sea.

Regards
    Hugh

flojon,
    A very warm welcome to Brit-gen. First, are you only seeking information about his war years?

Else, looking at the "Africa" connection" -

a George S Tasker married at Brentford, Jun Qtr, 1920, 3a 492 - on the same page a Winifred Vera Emery. In June 1945 the Essex Newsman reported that a Vera Winifred Tasker had been granted a decree nisi against a George Sydney Tasker. Grounds were desertion and that he had gone back to Africa and could not be traced. The couple had previously lived in Africa.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Hi Thanks for the information was very useful, am new to this type of reseach, i would like to know more about his navy records and family.i know he spent most of his adult life in Africa Zambia but was buried in UK. i would like to locate and visit his grave.regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast