Richard Miller

Default Robert Jones M D born abt 1735 died aft 1794

Hi

I am seeking some advice about how to locate a list of medical practitioners in 1700s and where they may have trained. This may help me identify for certain where he was born and died, and when he married my 5th great grandmother Mary Williams.

Newspaper Archives indicate the he was living in Salisbury in Wiltshire in 1788. His wife my 5th great grandmother Mary Jones died age 55 in 1794 in Salisbury and is described as the wife of Robert Jones M D and not the late Robert Jones, so he may have lived into the 1800's.

The Newspaper articles indicate he was a member of the Royal Society of Antiquarians of Edinburgh (the Royal Society in Edinburgh I believe), and the Society for the encouragement of the Arts, Manufactures and Commerce, Adelphi, London (Royal Society of Arts I believe).

The following book / article published in Edinburgh is availalbe to view online and may indicate he was well respected in his profession if he was writing about the illness of the king

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/ecco/004...;view=fulltext

Also in Edinburgh he had another book published entitled An inquiry into the state of medicine on the principles of inductive philosophy. With an appendix; ... By Robert Jones, M.D.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Richard

Valued member of Brit-Gen

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...Medical_School , the Edinburgh Medical School was founded in 1826, so he may well have stufied there as he has associations with the town. Just speculation though

Have a look at the catalogue of the National Archives of Scotland, they have a lot of unexpected goodies.
    There's other possible sources listed in the messages stuck at the top of the General Scottish Forum (I don't have the URLs on my phone).

The Old Parochial Registers of the Church of Scotland show one Robert Jones born 1730-1740. He was b. 23 Jan 1735 in South Leith, Midlothian. His parents were Francis Jones and Margaret Johnston.

Of course, the fact that it's the only one in the surviving OPR doesn't guarantee that it's him. Some records are missing or illegible, some people of other denominations weren't entered in the OPR. However, it's worth checking, especially if one of his sons was called Francis or Frank. You can buy a copy of the baptism entry from Scotlands People - remember that the amount of info recorded was at the whim of the Minister, and can be minimal.

Richard Miller

Thanks Mikejee and Lesley for your replies and advice.

I have emailed the National Archives of Scotland to see if they can find a record of a Robert Jones qualifying at the University of Edinburgh Medical School at some point in the mid 1700's.

Regards

Richard