Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen family

Janet M

Default Kitchen family

My husband is trying to find out more about his paternal family. He knows his father was Joseph William Kitchen who married Dorothy Mary Dove in 1926 . They both lived at Swinethorpe, Newark Nottinghamshire.
    Joseph's father was Edward Kitchen an engine driver
    We have not been able to find out more about the family, any help would be appreciated.
    Many thanks Janet M

Do you have the marriage certificate?
    If he was old enough to marry in 1926, he was alive when they made the 1911 census - and probably living with his parents, so that might be a useful place to start.

Janet M

Thank you Lesley, I will try and get a marriage certificate.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

If you do not have the marriage certificate you may order one from www.gro.gov.uk at a cost of £9.25

You will need this information 1926 Oct - Dec ( q4) Newark 7b 995

see freebmd.org.uk

For reference DOVE family info
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/thr...ily?highlight=

pippycat

Couple of possibles for you:

1911 census: Chapel Lane, Branston, Lincs

Edward Kitchin 1852 Rand, Lincs. Engine Driver
    wife: Ellen 1863 Kirkby Green
    son: William 1905 Branston.
    Married 25 years/4 children.

Possible marriage: John Edward Kitchen married Ellen Chilton Sept q 1883 Sleaford, Lincs.

- Edward didn't use his John name, so maybe not a great problem for William to have lost the name Joseph??

1911 census: Burton, nr Lincoln

Henry Dove 1880 Hackthorne, Lincs. Shepherd
    wife: Selena Ann 1878 Gayton le Wold
    son: Charles William 1902 Spridlington
    dau: Gladys May 1905 Hykeham
    dau: Dorothy Mary 1907 Grayingham

Married 10 years/3 children.

Henry Dove married Selena Ann Shepherd Dec q 1900 Lincoln.

Birth reg: Dorothy Mary Dove Sept q 1906 Gainsborough, Lincs.

Some place names were a bit hard to read so may be suspect!

Swinethorpe seems to be on the Notts/Lincs border - so these 2 familiies could well be worth considering.

Rebecca

Nicolina

the 1911 Census shows one Joseph William KITCHEN in Nottinghamshire.
    Wentworth St., Ilkeston Junction, Cossall (RG14PN20424 RG78PN1222 RD429 SD2 ED33 SN67)
    Joseph Rowland KITCHEN b. abt. 1863 in Winthorpe, Lincs. Occupation: Railway Train Examiner
    Sarah Elizabeth KITCHEN b. abt. 1862 in Longthorpe, Gloucs.
    John Rowland KITCHEN b. abt. 1887 in Ilkeston, Derbys. Occupation: Electric Power Engine Driver, Above Ground
    Alfred James KITCHEN b. abt. 1893 in Ilkeston, Derbys. Occupation: Coal Miner Trammer Below
    Joseph William KITCHEN b. abt. 1896 in Ilkeston Junction, Cossall. Occupation: Coal Miner Trammer Below
    Arthur KITCHEN b. abt. 1898 in Ilkeston Junction, Cossall. Occupation: Coal Miner Trammer
    Robert Chilton KITCHEN b. abt. 1901 in Ilkeston Junction, Cossall.
    Albert KITCHEN b. abt. 1904 in Ilkeston Junction, Cossall.
    Frank KITCHEN b. abt. 1907 in Ilkeston Junction, Cossall.

Joseph Rowland & Sarah Elizabeth had been married for 27 years and had had 8 kids, all still living.,
    a marriage:
    March qtr. 1885, Shardlow Dist. Joseph Rowland KITCHEN & on same page Sarah Elizabeth BAILEY

Nicolina

Births.
    December qtr. 1895, Basford Dist. Joseph William KITCHEN

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Nicolina, that's the one I keep coming back to however remember the surname can be spelt kitchIn

I know cos I am a seasoned KITCHIN / EN researcher in Cumberland...back to 1616!!!!!

Nite jx

Nicolina

the marriage certificate of Joseph William and Dorothy Mary is definitely the way to go. Hopefully it will give his age and not just "of full age". Of course certificates are not always correct as I've just found out. Even though my great grandfather is entered in the GRO Index as HARRISON (correct) his marriage certificate has his name as HARRINSON

Janet M

Thank you all for your speedy replies. The information I have found for Joseph William Kitchen says he was 22 years old when he married so that would mean he was born in 1904. My husband seems to remember two aunts called Florence and Elizabeth who would have been the sisters of Joseph. His father was known as Bill in later life and was a traction engine driver he had his own business.
    Many thanks
    Janet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast