Wilkes_ml

Default Scotland Catholic list of Conffesions?

On the Scotland People's website there are now Catholic "other" records, which appear to be a mixture of lists of Catholic people.

I have found one page but can not understand what the title says, or the explanation of the abbreviations used throughout the list of people. However I think I can make out "conffesions"

I am assuming the text is in latin, but maybe someone with knowledge of Catholicism may also be able to shed some light on what these lists are off.

click on image to enlarge

Thanks to anyone who can work this one out!

Famous for offering help & advice

I'm afraid I haven't time to work on a complete translation, but as far as I can see, it's headed up with the name of the church, then the gist of it is: Confessors and Communicants at the feasts of Pentecost, Trinity and Corpus Christi [= 26 May, 2 June & 6 June in 1833] in the period of indulgence from the eve of Pentecost until the 3rd Sunday after Pentecost, as declared by Pope Gregory XVI.

Then it's signed by James Kyle, Andrew Scott, Andrew Carruthers and James John Gordon - the first three being V.Ap. (Apostolic Vicars?) and Bishops, though I can't make out exactly where of, and JJG being an Apostolic Missioner. At the bottom is a note which I think extends the period covered until the feast of the Assumption 1833. (This is always 15 August.)

Arthur

Wilkes_ml

Thanks ever so much ... I'm really struggling with these Catholic documents. Many entries had a "m" after them whilst even more had "v" after them. James John Gordon is the one who performs the majority of the baptisms at The Incarnation Tombae (Glenlivet Inveravon), but in his absence someone else conducts the ceramony but James John Gordon still adds his signature to the entry (I guess at a later date)

Famous for offering help & advice

Re V and M - off the top of my head, could this refer to who heard the confession (Vicar or Missioner)? Or the time they attended mass (Vigil or Morning)?

Arthur