Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ley family

eli555

Hi Ryan,
    Ive not been on this site for very long but I do appreciate all the help I have received.

My problem/query is as follows:

Im trying to trace the right 3 x great grandfather of mine, so Il give you the info' I have in the hope that you may be able to help me.

My grandmother was Alice Maud Ley b1872 in Swansea & married to Hiram Morgan b1879.

My g/grandfather was James Ley b1842 in Berrynarbour, Devon & married to Elizabeth Ann Slade b1851.

My 2 x g/grandfather was John Ley b1813! Baptism 1816! & married to Grace Ley b1811.

My 3 x g/grandfather was either William Ley b1788 in Berrynarbour & married to Mary Allen b1785 or
    John Ley?

I would also like to find the siblings of my 3 x g/grandfather, whichever one it may be.

Im relatively new to family research & I find anything before 1837 when data was recorded difficult to find & put together so any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for the offer of help you posted & I hope you can be oof help to me.
    Kind regards,
    Elaine.

Wilkes_ml

Hi Elaine..as others have said, it is probably best to start a new thread with the surname in the title as we are all here to help if and when we can. It is always a good idea to provide as much info as you can about what research you have done so far, and what documentation you have (with reference numbers if possible) as many of us have our little "tricks" of searching, or just have different ways of looking for information in the records.

I am assuming the marriage between John Ley & Grace Ley was prior to 1837, but where did they marry? Who were the witnesses? Have you seen a copy of the actual marriage entry? Was it by banns or licence?

I am assuming you have located John & Grace LEY in the census...were they consistant about their place of birth? Have you checked the actual baptism registers? Most indexes such as familysearch & freereg are very useful, but are not 100% completed and can be extremely patchy for some counties. Also some children were not baptised shortly after birth, so original registers need to be checked for several years after birth, in case of a late or adult baptism. Burials for the same time period & parish also need to be checked incase you find a baptism, but the child died soon after, as many did.

Wilkes_ml

After having a quick look through the Census, John LEY b. about 1804 Buckland Brewer, Devon should have married Grace about 1832 as their eldest son John (assumed from the 1841 census) was born about 1832, but I can not find a marriage of a John Ley to a Grace Ley on FamilySearch, so is LEY Grace's maiden name?

Freereg hasn't transcribed any of Buckland Brewer registers yet. A good place to look would be Devon Family History Society, as they have computerised Birth, Marriage & Death Indexes that can be searched for a small fee.

p.s. Do you have a copy of your great grandfather James LEY's birth certificate, as this will give you Grace's maiden name if it isn't LEY.

Wilkes_ml

I couldn't edit the above post, but the IGI (Family search) does have Buckland Brewer marriages and John LEY married Grace SHUTT 10th March 1832.

edited to add that I also noticed that John LEY consistantly gave his year of birth as 1803-1804, rather than 1813, but although Buckland Brewer baptisms also appear to be on Family Search, I could not find a baptism for him, so he may have been baptised elsewhere or later in life.

pippycat

Michelle

Grace Huxtable married John Ley 6 Sept 1834 Berrynarbor

Rebecca

Wilkes_ml

Thanks Pippycat...I have continued on Elaine's thread now. Sorry I hijacked this one.

eli555

Yes, I recently purchased James birth certificate & his mother's name is Grace Huxtable.

eli555

Thanks, that marriage is right.

eli555

Yes, I found the marriage entry for John Ley & Grace Huxtable in the Berrynarbour Marriage Register dated 9 sept 1834. The families seem to have lived in & around the Berrynarbour area of Devon.

eli555

oops! that should read 6 sept 1834.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast