Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    43rdrecce

Default 43rd Recce Regiment, MV Derrycunihy 1944

Hello all,

I have a long term research project looking at the history of the 43rd Reconnaissance Regiment in WW2.
    In particular I am researching the loss of the troopship MV Derrycunihy off the Normandy coast on Saturday, 24th of June 1944.
    189 men of 43rd Recce were lost, along with 25 of the Merchant Navy crew and gunners aboard.

If you have an ancestor who was killed in action whilst serving with the Regiment or if you have someone that served in 43rd Recce or was aboard the Derrycunihy, I would be very pleased to hear from you.

Paul

Clydesmag

Default 43rd

Hello sir,
    I have been researching this for sometime. My uncle was part of the 43 rd recon that was aboard the ship that morning and was killed. His name was a William Chidley.

Clydesmag

Trooper William James Chidley 43rd (2/5th Bn. Gloucestershire Regt.) Regt.. His name appears on the Bayeux war memorial in France

Cemetery: Bayeux Memorial

Area: Calvados

Official Number: 10601573

Unit: 43rd (2/5th Bn. Gloucestershire Regt.) Regt. Reconnaissance Corps R.A.C..

Force: Army

Nationality: British

43rdrecce

Hi Clydesmag,

I'm delighted to hear from you. I have sent a pm.

Best wishes

Paul

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello, my great uncle was on the the derrycunihy. Trooper Stanley O. Hughes. Would you happen to have any information about him. Thank you.

Clydesmag

Trooper STANLEY OWEN HUGHES 4196556
    "A" Sqn Who died age 25 on 24 June 1944 At Sea Derry Cunihy hit mine Son of Robert William and Ellen Myfanwy Hughes, of Brynsiencyn, Anglesey. BAYEUX MEMORIAL Panel 6.

esoxlucius

Hi Paul, I have a newspaper photo of my father Frank Briant just back from the Middle East. He is with a number of other sgts, here are the names:- Sgts Brookes. Kenchington, Scarth, Nelson, Cresswell, Lorryman, Lance, Harding, Stratton, Briant, Pny, Hancock, Morris, Masterman, Barrison and Cole. Others in the photo are:- SQMS Stride nd SSM Dennis. These guys were in the Hampshire Regt and went into the 1Bn Recce Corp (Later the Regt). I hope this will help you in some way.

Beale11

Hello, my great-granddad was Albert Wintle who used to drive an armoured car for the 43rd Recce Gloucestershire Regiment. He used to tell stories about being aboard a sinking ship in Normandy and left in 1946 when it was disbanded. He died in 2007

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Derrycunihy 1944

My grandfather John Robert Hogg
    Also lost his life on 24/6/1944
    43rd Gloucestshire regiment reconnaissance corps
    Age 27
    And his name is on panel 6 at the Bayeux memorial

I would love to hear from others who's loved ones served with him and anyone with
    Any photos
    Respect to all gone but never will be forgotten

As the "Introduce yourself" forum is just intended for new members to introduce themselves, and this is rapidly turning into a successful research thread, I've moved it to the WW2 forum where more people with relevant interests may see it in the long term.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast