Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Derrycunihy survivor

Quote Originally Posted by 43rdrecce View Post
    I have a long term research project looking at the history of the 43rd Reconnaissance Regiment in WW2.
    In particular I am researching the loss of the troopship MV Derrycunihy off the Normandy coast on Saturday, 24th of June 1944.
    189 men of 43rd Recce were lost, along with 25 of the Merchant Navy crew and gunners aboard.

If you have an ancestor who was killed in action whilst serving with the Regiment or if you have someone that served in 43rd Recce or was aboard the Derrycunihy, I would be very pleased to hear from you.

Paul
    [QUOTE=43rdrecce;596447]Hello all, I'm doing a little research on the MV Derrycunihy. My father was one of the survivors of I believe the 43rd Recce regiment. He was Donald Macpherson born in 1920 in Strontian, Scotland. He had been below deck for several nights but was asked to switch to above deck and felt that this had saved his life. When the ship hit the mine, he was thrown overboard. Thankfully, he was wearing his life vest and was rescued and I believe he was taken back to Eastbourne to rest up before rejoining the regiment for the next go around. Years after the war, he ended up moving to the town of Gourock in Scotland where he unexpectedly ran into his Sergeant Walter Jamieson who also survived the Derrycunihy wreck and the two remained faithful friends for the rest of their lives. We are so proud of these two and their service during WW2.
    Marion MacP

Default 43rd Recce Regiment, MV Derrycunihy 1944

[QUOTE=43rdrecce;596447]Hello all, I'm doing a little research on the MV Derrycunihy. My father was one of the survivors of I believe the 43rd Recce regiment. He was Donald Macpherson born in 1920 in Strontian, Scotland. He had been below deck for several nights but was asked to switch to above deck and felt that this had saved his life. When the ship hit the mine, he was thrown overboard. Thankfully, he was wearing his life vest and was rescued and I believe he was taken back to Eastbourne to rest up before rejoining the regiment for the next go around. Years after the war, he ended up moving to the town of Gourock in Scotland where he unexpectedly ran into his Sergeant Walter Jamieson who also survived the Derrycunihy wreck and the two remained faithful friends for the rest of their lives. We are so proud of these two and their service during WW2.
    Marion MacP

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My Grandfather was Quartermaster Serjeant Alfred Morris, he died on the MV Derrycunihy.

I have a couple of photos including one from shortly before showing several of them relaxing.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Just wondering whether this research is still ongoing... my Dad's cousin was John Robert ASHWORTH who was a trooper with 43rd Recce and who was one of those lost on the Derrycunihy. Unfortunately, other than knowing when he was lost, we have very little other information about his service with 43rd Recce.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12