Starting to feel at home

Default William Davies, LLangollen & Oswestry

Trying to trace birth/siblings for William Davies apparently born 1883, Llanrhaeadr (assume ym Mochnant). Married 10/9/1908 in Oswestry to Priscilla Davies (I have her siblings and parents and they are not blood related so far as I know!). He was a Police Constable in 1908 stationed at Vroncycyltte and confirmed as such in 1911 Census living in the Police Station in Pontcycyltte, nr Llangollen. His marriage cert gives his father as John Davies, deceased, a Carrier

William made Police Sergeant, is recorded variously in Newspaper Court reports and joined the Welsh Guards 5/2/1916 aged 33 yr 1 &1/2 mths. His latter years were in Norwood Avenue, Oswestry.

Given the large number of possible birth records for a William Davies my hope is to contact someone else seeking the same family, hence the above detail.

That is unless you know better . . . .

The 1911 Census entry for William has place of birth as "Denbighshire, Llanrhaiadr". Wondered of this might be "Llanrhaiadr yng Cinmeirch" rather than "ym Mochnant". Yng Cinmeirch" comes under Denbighshire and "ym Mochnant" comes under both Montgomeryshire and Denbighshire (Genuki Reg Districts England and Wales).

North Wales BMD's
    https://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/cgi/...hwales#surname

Checked for a William Davies, b 1893, Denbighshire South and there is a "William J Davies, born 1893, Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch". North Wales BMDs identify Parish within Registration Districta

Have also been checking out the 1891 census reference RG12 4622 19 2. Puzzling over the PoB for William Davies, age 8. It has been transcribed as "Llanefydd" but why am I seeing an attempt to capture "Llanrhyadr" (dangerous territory this, seeing what you want to see!!).
    Found the family in 1901 (and trying to find it again) where William's PoB is "Ruthin" (as is all the children's this time).

Also drawn to Head of Household - John Davies, Coachman Domestic (1891) and Coachman (non Domestic) 1901.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

1901 reference = RG13 5236 174 28

Starting to feel at home

Many thanks Helechau

Yes indeed, which Llanrhaeadr? Appreciate your thoughts which I hope to look at properly over the weekend. The middle 'J' makes me hesitant as it's not mentioned in any other source, however . . . !

Will write again, cheers

Starting to feel at home

Just replied but site made me refresh and log in again so not sure if you will get 2 replies!!

Anyway thanks and apologies for delayed response.

Unfortunately your suggestion won't work as same family including father John appear in 1911 census at same address and William's marriage cert 10 Sept 1908 says father deceased.

William's Army records suggest he was born/reg Dec 1882/Jan 1883 so will keep searching.

Are you aware of Denbighshire Constabulary records for 1901 - 1911 or is that on a seperate forum?

many thanks

https://www.archiveswales.org.uk/anw/...d=2428&expand=

Ufortunately, it's the wrong end of Wales for me to pop along and check the Archives!!