Thread: Gillies wanted!

BruceW

Default Gillies wanted!

There has been a request in General Scottish Family History about 3 years ago for information on 'John Gillies b Abt 1810'. We now know more, but want more too! Surprise.

My family tree begins with John Gillies, born in the parish of Duirinish, Isle of Skye about 1810. He was living in Cladach Ileray, North Uist in 1841 census, married with a family in Glasgow in 1851 census, and in 1858 emigrated to New Zealand. I am descended from his son Murdoch.

Recently, we have found a photograph album which indicates that a nephew, John Finlayson Gillies (b. Isle of Skye 1848 from his obituary), a doctor, also came to New Zealand but seems to have died early with no children. We have also a photograph which is said to be that of another nephew, named "Red" Murdoch Gillies, who lived in Australia (Melbourne?) and appears to have had 4 sons and 2 daughters.

Any information which could link these nephews to John Gillies or provide a contact with descendants of "Red" Murdoch Gillies would be most appreciated.

Thank you, Bruce

You probably have this info but just for the record for those searching.
    The Otago Times on Papers past has the obituary of John Finlayson Gillies. No parents or siblings mentioned but it does say he married Miss Carnegie the dau of an old settler family in 1879. It also gives a detailed run down of his career and he evidently practiced in Wiltshire for a while then to London then Edinburgh and to Dunedin in 1874.
    The marriage is on NZ BMD's bride's full name is Constance Harriet Carnegie. The certificate should have John F's father's name.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Constance Harriet Gillies, the relic of J F Gillies, married John Copland MD on 12 March 1892. Her father the late John de la Condamine Carnegie.

Christina
    William Burroughs

There is a tree on ancestry that has Murdoch Gillies birth 1841 in Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire, and his death 1882 in Woolsthorpe, Victoria. His parents are given as ♂
    Donald Gillies 1799 Bacneanacy, Isle Of Rassay, Scotland died Bunnel Flats, Victoria – 1864 and Christina McLean 1799 Portree, Invernessshire, died – 1860 in Scotland. I haven't tried to work out how, if she died in 1860, they have her on the 1861/1871/1881 Scottish censuses!!

Christina
    William Burroughs

Where have you looked?
    The 1851 census has 10 John Gillies of roughty the right age in Inverness-shire, and the 1861 6. There's one born Duirinish with parents Archy and Flora - you'd have to check the various families.

Incidentally, I can't find your previous thread in Gen Scot. Was it under a different name? There's one from someone called Maxine that seems to refer to the same family - if it's yours, why not just add to it so that people can see the collection of responses you had before?

BruceW

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    There is a tree on ancestry that has Murdoch Gillies birth 1841 in Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire, and his death 1882 in Woolsthorpe, Victoria. His parents are given as ♂
    Donald Gillies 1799 Bacneanacy, Isle Of Rassay, Scotland died Bunnel Flats, Victoria – 1864 and Christina McLean 1799 Portree, Invernessshire, died – 1860 in Scotland. I haven't tried to work out how, if she died in 1860, they have her on the 1861/1871/1881 Scottish censuses!!

Christina
    Thanks for that info Christina, I'll look out for that when I have some time to follow it up!
    Bruce

BruceW

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Where have you looked?
    The 1851 census has 10 John Gillies of roughty the right age in Inverness-shire, and the 1861 6. There's one born Duirinish with parents Archy and Flora - you'd have to check the various families.

Incidentally, I can't find your previous thread in Gen Scot. Was it under a different name? There's one from someone called Maxine that seems to refer to the same family - if it's yours, why not just add to it so that people can see the collection of responses you had before?
    Thanks Lesley, yes there's some checking to do. And yes, I found my cousin because of that thread - we have the same gg grandfather.
    Bruce

Maxine's older thread is HERE if anyone wants to see what help has already been offered on this family.