Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

51st (Highland) Division.
    This was a first-line Territorial Army Division composed of T.A Battalions of the Highland Regiments. It joined the B.E.F. in France on Jan, 1940 as part of the 3 Corps, moving up to the Belgian Frontier in March.
    He Division was detached from the British zone in April and moved to the Saar front, and took over a sector of defences of the Maginot line in the Ligne de Contact. The 51st were in the Saar when the Germans attacked the Netherlands and Belgium, the Division saw hard fighting and sustained heavy casualties as they tried to stem the German advance. The Division saw one Brigade move to defence in Le Havre, while the two remaining Brigades (152nd and 153rd) were cut off and trapped at the cliffs of St. Valery-en-Caux and suffered many casualties against the German forces. The remains of the Division were forced to capitulate.
    The Division was reformed in England and moved overseas in 1942 to the Middle East and went to action at El Alamein with the Eight Army, pushing on into Cyrenaica. Then on into Tripolitania through the Mareth Line, the pipes of the 51st were heard in Tunisia as the 51st forced the Germans and Italian Allies to defeat.
    The Division took part in the invasion of Sicily in July, 1943 and the landings in Italy in August. The formation was then withdrawn from the Mediterranean later that year and returned to England to join the 21st Army Group in the invasion of Europe in June 1944. The Division fought from Normandy beachhead to Falasise and in the dash across France to the Seine and on to the liberation of Belgium. The 51st drove the enemy back across the Rhine and final advance through Germany to the Elbe.

(Sources - Heraldry in War, Gale and Palden & IWM)

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaheldd View Post
    Here's everything I received. Hope the link works:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7m8y0mxht...p_O-lMLua?dl=0

Sorry, some of the images are not the right way round.

Sorry if this is a daft question ....... I thought my Dad was regular army - why would he have TA paperwork?
    As you have such a wonderful collection of photos you might want to see the Facebook page 'WW2 Colourised Photos' as they can do amazing work at bringing old Black and Whites into life with colour. see: https://www.facebook.com/pages/WW2-C...813107?fref=ts

Starting to feel at home

Thank you WhiteFWR for the Facebook link which I'll check out later, and for the information on the emblem patches. Would you presume that my dad had these patches because he was attached to these units? Example, I can't see a mention of the 51st Highland division in the list on page 1 that Tom 'translated' for me....unless I'm missing it!

TomBen

Jackie,

51st Highland Division are the 51st Infantry Division, that's my bad I didn't make it clear enough.

I think it should actually be written 51st (Highland) Infantry Division.

Regards,

Tom

Starting to feel at home

I've spent a fair few hours going over the information on page 1 and reading it in conjunction with dads Service and Casualty form (found in the link also on page 1), which obviously gives a bit more detail - although not easy to read.

In summary, does this seem close to being correct?

Enlisted 5 November 1942
    Was in C Coy No. 6 training battalion in Warley 16 Dec 1942
    Was assigned to the RASC 16 December 42 (still at No. 6 training battalion?)
    Passed his Drivers 1C course in Sheffield 22 Jan 43
    Posted to 917 AA TPT Coy 17 Feb 43
    Reclassified from Class II to Class I something 15 June 43 (can't read location)
    Posted to 299 Gen TPT Coy Feb 1944
    Attended water duites course at (can't read location) School of Hygene.
    [in the location column of the form, it says 'field'?)
    Appointed U/L/Cpl 11 May 44
    Granted pay of appoint of L/Cpl 11 May 44
    Embarked 31 May 44
    Transferred to 127 Company 5 September 1945
    Transferred to 458 Company 8 January 46
    Posted to 'F' Independent Transport platoon 12 Jan 46
    Posted to 1837 Independent Transport company 21 Jan 1946
    There is more details for 1946, but I can't read the writing

To now find out where he was during these postings, what’s the best way of proceeding? I’ve Googled some of the units and I can find some information, but I’m not 100% sure I’m looking at the right stuff.

For example, can I presume I need to look for 299 Coy from Feb 44 – Sept 45? I know in January 1945 he was in D Platoon (I’ve got a couple of letters that were sent to him at this time and they are addressed to D Platoon, 299 Coy RASC (GT) BLA (what does the BLA stand for?))

And then 127 company from September 45 – January 46

When we come to January 1946, he seems to have moved around a lot, not staying with any unit for very long. Why would this be?

The emblem badges (contained within his photos) have also raised questions for me. For example, 30 Corps – where does this fit into the information above? Same with the XXX Corps/Alamein medal I’ve got. Where does that fit in as well? From what I’ve read the 30 Corps and XXX Corps were made up from lots of units, but I’m struggling to tie it all together!

I’m sorry if some of these questions seem ignorant or daft, but trying to piece this all together has been tougher than I imagined.

Thank you
    Jackie

TomBen

Hi Jackie,

My apologies I was unable to carry out any further research on Friday last week.

I've been looking at the documents again today translating the second sheet of postings as you have done above:

Enlisted 5 November 1942
    Sent to No.1 Infantry Training Centre, Warley as a Private
    On 16.11.42 Transferred from General Service Launch (GSL) to RASC and posted to No.6 Training Battalion
    19.12.42 Transferred to 'C' Company No. 6 Training Battalion from No. 51 Primary Training Wing and T.O.R.S. With effect from 17th

(Regrettably I can't find a meaning for TORS).

On 25.1.43 Passed drive 1C Qualification at No.6 Training Battalion
    On 17.02.43 Posted to 91 Anti-Aircraft Company RASC
    On 5.6.43 Reclassified from Class II to Class I Infantry Not 100% sure on the translation
    On 2.5.43 Attended Water Duties Course at (Unreadable Location)
    On 11-21.4.43 School of Hygiene
    On 11.5.44 Appointed Unpaid Lance Corporal
    On 11.5.44 Granted Pay of Lance Corporal
    On 31.5.44 EMBARKED - Ready for the D-Day invasion

I'm having trouble reading the last few entries though it looks like postings between different units...

299 Company to 127 Company and 127 Company to 458 Battery (Looks more like By than Coy)

-----------------

I don't think you will find any diaries for the companies or platoons, the units are just too small, don't get me wrong they may exist but from experience you're far more likely to find Regimental or Battalion diaries. With this in mind I think it would be a better idea to try and identify which units these various RASC companies and platoons were attached too.

Throughout late '45 and early '46 the British Armed Forces were very busy de-mobilising and organising what equipment and personnel they would need for the occupation of Germany, what troops they would be sending back to Britain and/or the rest of the Empire and then how to get demobbed soldiers back home. Logistics units like the RASC and their drivers would obviously be very important in ferrying such personnel and equipment and as units were de-mobilised or amalgamated transfers would obviously happen.

I can't find a good Order of Battle for 30 Corps, I know we have Orders of Battle books somewhere but I can't seem to find them! Never around when you need them...

The only reason I know of to wear the badge of a corps is if your unit is listed under it, so one of the units Driver Green was in must have been in 30 Corps at some point.

Corps are made up of multiple divisions.
    Divisions are made up of multiple brigades.
    Brigades are made up of multiple Battalions.
    Battalions make up Regiments.

Certain support units like the RASC, RE, RLC and such can even have small units such as companies or platoons attached to larger units outside of this normal "chain of command". It can make tracking them down very difficult I'm afraid.

Regards,

Tom

Starting to feel at home

Please don't apologise Tom, you have been more than helpful & I'm very grateful

Nothing was ever straight forward with my dad, so I should have known this wouldn't be easy!! haha

Jackie

Starting to feel at home

Had to share - I've got an appointment to see the archivist at the Royal Logistic Corp museum on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaheldd View Post
    Had to share - I've got an appointment to see the archivist at the Royal Logistic Corp museum on Monday
    I hope that you have a great time learning more and we would love to hear your findings.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Could TORS be Taken On Regimental Strength? If such an expression exists?

regards

Robert

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast