PhairMason

Default Appleby Hospital 1875

Hello. I am new to your forum.

Would Appleby Hospital be a different place than St. Anne's Hospital in 1875?

My 3rd great-grandmother, Annie MacKintosh was born in Dufton, Westmoreland about 1791. She spent some time at St. Anne's Hospital in Appleby per the 1861 census, was living with my great-grandmother in 1871, and died at Appleby Hospital in 1875.

I have done basic research and understand that St. Anne's is a charity house. I could not find time-appropriate references to an Appleby Hospital.

Thank you. Ruthie

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Welcome to the Forum Ruthie
    See here , photos come with.:

https://www. visitcumbria.com/evnp/ap...nnes-hospital/

(space inserted after www- they have adverts etc.)
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

PhairMason

Thank you Waitabit. It really looks like a nice place actually. When I told my mother that her grandmother's grandmother was in a charity house, she, of course, thought poorhouse. I've read that the inhabitants received coal annually and a stipend quarterly. No wonder they dubbed it "St." Anne's as the benefactress was just that.

I've just been reading more on this site. Wow! What a Woman was Lady Anne. If you scroll to the page bottom where it says 'go to menu' click on Lady Anne Clifford, then at the bottom- again go to menu- check out buildings- many photos again of various buildings -hospitals, churches etc.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

PhairMason

Yes, she was! My Anne, whom I affectionately call Nannie as she was listed as such in one census, has a notation of some sort at St. Lawrence Church (shown via the link you mentioned) per https://www. northofthesands.org.uk/westmoreland/surname/1047/mackintosh, which is my only source for Appleby Hospital.
    Last edited by PhairMason; 28-08-2014 at 1:27 AM. Reason: space inserted into url

I did see that when looking for the Hospital site but didn't click that's who you were looking for.
    Happy Families
    Wendy