Default Taylor and McBryde Families of Wigtownshire

Is anybody here familiar with the Wigtownshire area of southwestern Scotland? I am tracing my grandparents William Taylor and Mary McBryde. The Taylor family lived and worked for several decades in the Glenluce area, Longforth farm to be exact. The farm still exists to this day as a dairy farm. William and Mary immigrated to Canada in the 1880's, settling in the Cannington Manor area south of Moosomin, Sask. William actually sold and moved twice more, his second two homesteads were in the Spring Creek district just outside Moosomin. Their three children were all born after they immigrated, one of which was my grandmother. William's wife Mary McBryde was born at KIRKMAIDEN BY DRUMMORE, Wigtownshire around 1852. William Taylor was born at Wigtownshire, old luce, more than likely at Longforth Farm.
    One of my aunts and cousins visited the area several decades ago and did mention that residents of the area knew of the Taylor name and it's connection to the area. I would be extremely interested if anybody.It would be interesting to find any further information on top of what I have discovered thus far. Any help would be totally appreciated! )

janbooth

Do you have William & Mary in the census records prior to their emigration to Canada? William TAYLOR looks to be a Longworth Farm House in the 1871 census of Old Luce, for example, along with his, presumably widowed as she is shown as Head of house, mother Susan and siblings.

If you can tell us what details you already have, it saves a lot of duplication of time and effort.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Do you have William & Mary in the census records prior to their emigration to Canada? William TAYLOR looks to be a Longworth Farm House in the 1871 census of Old Luce, for example, along with his, presumably widowed as she is shown as Head of house, mother Susan and siblings.

If you can tell us what details you already have, it saves a lot of duplication of time and effort.

Janet
    Thanks Janet, I do indeed have all the census documents except 1841. Susan's maiden name was Mcargo and yes she was widowed by 1871 as her husband, William Taylor SR had died in 1868. William Taylor SR's parents were John Taylor and Marion Weir. I do not have John Taylor's parents yet but did discover that Marion Weir's parents were Richard Weir and Margaret Murdoch. Now back to William Taylor JR and Mary McBryde....Mary was born around 1852 at Kirkmaiden by Drummore, Wigtownshire. Mary's parents were George McBryde and Helen Todd. George McBryde's father was James McBryde, do not know the name of George's mother yet. Helen Todd's parents were William Todd and Margaret Kerr. The only census I could find for the McBryde side of the family was 1851, a year before Mary was born. Cheers Brett

Finding people in Scotland after 1815 (census) and 1855 (BMD) online is pretty simple, but not free. You need Scotlands People.. It does get a bit harder before that as we become dependent on the records of the Churches and it was up to the Ministers what they recorded.
    If you look HERE, you'll find a collection of sticky messages about what scottish family history you can find where.

You may find this site of interest

https://freepages.history.rootsweb.an...wfp/intro.html
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by brettmclark View Post
    ...Mary was born around 1852 at Kirkmaiden by Drummore, Wigtownshire. Mary's parents were George McBryde and Helen Todd. George McBryde's father was James McBryde, do not know the name of George's mother yet. Helen Todd's parents were William Todd and Margaret Kerr. The only census I could find for the McBryde side of the family was 1851, a year before Mary was born. Cheers Brett
    Hi Brett

Scotland's people has a death of a George McBride(b 1802) in 1856 in Kirkmaiden which could be yours. If you are lucky it may give the names of both his parents. You need to register and buy a few credits to download the record.

Free cen has a George and Helen McBride at High Curghie in Kirkmaiden with children James and George in 1841 census.