Clarinetguy

Default What does it say?

Help, please, with one word on this image taken from a burial plot map. Most of it is OK:
    Pepperday '????' against Sth? door of church 2.6.
    What is it (in single inverted commas) after Pepperday? I would think Rails if the i were dotted but it may not be an i. Five Pepperdays are listed in the burial records; none of the names give a clue.

Could he have been the church organist?

No, I think you are right about 'against Sth door of church'.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

pippycat

This link has mention of Rails in connection with burials - unsure if its relevant though.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=K...burial&f=false

Call me crazy, but I did wonder if it could mean this Pepperday might have been placed near those rails?

Rebecca

Clarinetguy

Sue - as an organist myself (not just clarinet!) that was my first thought but 'against' is what it says; we agree.

Pippycat - Rails is possible but there are none there now anywhere. The trouble is I cannot see why anyone would be buried within 2ft 6in of the church door! This is what the numbers mean because it is specified elsewhere on the plot map.

I just wondered if there was an obvious word I had not thought of.

Thanks both.

Famous for offering help & advice

Sometimes there's a kind of iron fenced enclosure round a grave or group of graves - I wonder if it might refer to something like that?

Whereabouts is this burial? These fences/enclosures tend to last quite well, so they might still be there to see.

Arthur

Edit: just seen your comment about nothing to see.

pippycat

Not the same handwriting so somebody else added "against S door of Church"

Are there any Sexton Books/Records to be found for the Church? Well worth trying to find them, they can sometimes hold real gems of info.

Rebecca

Clarinetguy

Not the same handwriting so somebody else added "against S door of Church"
    The burial map is annotated a great deal and has been over the years.

Are there any Sexton Books/Records to be found for the Church? Well worth trying to find them, they can sometimes hold real gems of info.
    A local chap (ex grave digger) helped me look in the church records; The Pepperdays were buried between 1853 and 1861.

janbooth

The grave could be outside the church by the South door so perhaps there is a railed tomb close to the south door. I have several of my more well to do lot who are shown as buried against the south chancel wall of the church and the graves are outside very close to the exterior south chancel wall.

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    Whereabouts is this burial? These fences/enclosures tend to last quite well, so they might still be there to see.
    I actually meant by this "which parish/church is it?" rather than "what is its location in the churchyard?"

Arthur