Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Pat

I clicked on Peter's link then googled 'translate this site in to English' and got this
    In Peter's link I then clicked on Status of records and research tools, records available on-line (in french)' and copied and pasted its URL (address thingy) in to the box on google's translate page and followed their instructions. Then my eyes started to glaze over! If you have google chrome it has a translate this page button in the top RH corner from memory. I haven't got it now 'cos it was playing up for me a while back.

Cyndi's List also has links to French sites (some of which are in English!) but I couldn't see any military references so you are stuck with the site Peter linked to.

Just taken a look at the marriage registration of Sarah Ann Arnold and Charles and he is recorded as Jacob Garlist Dubray, just to clarify things a little. Oh and he was a herbalist in 1903 in Dover?
    Also, Charles Jacob was born 1819 and married Sarah in 1903 at the age of 84? Do you have this certificate? Charles was married previously? None of this appears to be relevant to finding Crimean war records but you never know. Children's and wife's names from a first marriage may help.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

thewideeyedowl

Default Geneanet

This may not move things forward, but have you tried Geneanet? Geneanat is an international genealogical database, originally started in 1996 by two French genealogy/computer enthusiasts who could see the potential of the then emerging internet.

I believe that the site operates in several languages - have just been on the English one but have noted a French description in a search engine listing. It carries some advertising so you will have to work out the address from here: en.geneanet.org/first-step/search-your-french-ancestors. Copy and paste that into the address bar, remembering to put https:// at the front. Fingers crossed it will work. When I got there, I checked out French Genealogical Databases and entered the name "Charles DuBray", which prodiced about five hits all from the 1700s, so not your man.

Worth taking a look?

There are also French forums, of course, and I know that a BG member uses them quite a bit but that person is not around at the moment. Possibly run a search for French family history forums (in French, of course!).

One last thought, have you tried the IGI? It won't give you service info, of course, but could help confirm (or disprove) some details. There is a forum here on IGI, so you can find out about it there.

Let us know if you get any leads.

Owl

Hi there, I also went on Geneanet (I use it a lot for my French half) and there is someone researching your man (P Turner) and has much the same info as you. I posted a question on the forum to ask about researching French soldiers in the Crimea - they were on the same side for once! - so some one may come up with an answer for further research. I can help with translation, etc.
    Have a look at Geneanet and under Search - general search - input Dubray for the surname and Jacob for the first name (there are 1000s of Dubrays) and you will find her. Suggest you contact if you don't know her and pool resources. Many of the Dubrays are from the Paris area. I notice he seems to have had several daughters, Minnie, Rosa, Matilda (from Ancestry) and was perhaps younger than indicated in his death notice.
    Can I ask, where did you get the information from about the Crimea? Do you have him in censuses in England, if so, which ones?
    I find this quite fascinating and happy to help if I can.

patmoore

Thanks ever one for you efforts appreciated.on 1891 english census he is down as Guardes .1911 jacob. and newspaper article re his death Charles Jacob ,Ancestry .com Charles Guardeo .and marriage as previous mention...so who knows.a lotta searching..,I hopefully might get somewhere....

patmoore

The info re him and the Crimean war ,was from a family member,and also there was a newspaper article re his death the Dover Express 6th March 1925.Stating His age was verified by the French consul who came from Folkstone with two visitors from France who were interested in the survival to such a great age of a fellow countryman.In view of the fact that he was a French Crimean War veteran it is possible that there will be some official recognition of the funeral.....H'm having read this article again I wonder if anything is recorded anywhere !!!!! that may help,.P

Valued member of Brit-Gen

There is a member of the British Medals Forum (user name Djedj) who lives in France and has a wealth of knowledge about researching French recipients of the Crimea Medal. You might care to register with the BMF and then send him a PM.

Martin

thewideeyedowl

Default French army of the Crimean War

Have just found this interesting English-language site about the French Crimean army (La Garde Imperiale (1854)): https://sites.google.com/site/frenchcrimeanarmy/home.

Might help with background if we manage to locate DuBray?

Owl

patmoore

Thanks everyone for info P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12