Loves to help with queries

Default Navy ranks 1909-1923

My grandfather enlisted in the Royal Navy in March 1909 for what looks like a twelve-year stint. Family tradition has it that he was a stoker, but his records, which I just obtained, indicate that from the time he enlisted his 'rating' was as a 'yeo stores' -- presumably yeoman stores. Does anyone known what that
    job actually entailed? Stoking doesn't sound likely.

pippycat

This might help explain the 'stoker' connection:

https://www.pbenyon.plus.com/LondonGazette/Stokers.html

Rebecca

Pippycat -- many thanks for this, which indeed clears up the matter, albeit in hi-fallutin' language.

pippycat

Sorry Pat,

The best I could find connecting the Yeoman to a Stoker (even if it was only their pay levels)

Rebecca

Michael Duke

Default yeo stores

it would be his job was to help control all ordering and issue of tools, parts and everything else relating to the engine room and boiler rooms. This would also include all machinery on deck and elsewhere, winches, generators, etc. It was a big job.

Best regards

Default 'yeo stores'

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Duke View Post
    it would be his job was to help control all ordering and issue of tools, parts and everything else relating to the engine room and boiler rooms. This would also include all machinery on deck and elsewhere, winches, generators, etc. It was a big job.
    Thanks, Michael. [My laptop had to be repaired otherwise I'd have answered earlier.] The situation with my grandfather was that the in the 1911 census his status was that of stoker, but in his actual military records his status was, from the beginning, that of 'yeo stores'. This is the source of my puzzlement, and also the family tradition of his being a stoker.

I'm wondering when stoking -- viz. the actual business of shoveling coal into the fireboxes of boilers -- became obsolete in the Royal Navy. My grandfather enlisted in 1909. Were there still coal-fired ships in the Navy then, or had they switched to something more 'modern'. My knowledge of these matters is practically non-existent.
    Last edited by patk; 14-08-2014 at 4:36 PM. Reason: cosmetic

Michael Duke

When I joined the Navy inthe early 1950s there were still old coal burners chugging around so there would certainly be some around in 1909.
    I cannot say when the official designation of 'stoker' ended but it was probably after the 2nd WW, I think they renamed them Engineer Mechanics but they were always called Stokers...and it is possible they still are.
    The only thing really that always changes is the way to power the ship, from wind to steam and from coal to oil. these things evolve over time so it is possible to have all systems going at the same time.
    It is possible your Grandfather was first and formost a member of the engineering department with the rank of Stoker (eqivalent to a Army private) and his job in the department was to look after the engineers stores. (Store yeoman)
    From being a stoker he would have advanced to stoker 1st class to leading stoker and then to Petty Officer Stoker and in time Chief Petty Officer Stoker.
    I hope that this throws a little light on your problem, if I can be of further help just ask, best regards Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Duke View Post
    When I joined the Navy inthe early 1950s there were still old coal burners chugging around so there would certainly be some around in 1909.
    I cannot say when the official designation of 'stoker' ended but it was probably after the 2nd WW, I think they renamed them Engineer Mechanics but they were always called Stokers...and it is possible they still are.
    The only thing really that always changes is the way to power the ship, from wind to steam and from coal to oil. these things evolve over time so it is possible to have all systems going at the same time.
    It is possible your Grandfather was first and formost a member of the engineering department with the rank of Stoker (eqivalent to a Army private) and his job in the department was to look after the engineers stores. (Store yeoman)
    From being a stoker he would have advanced to stoker 1st class to leading stoker and then to Petty Officer Stoker and in time Chief Petty Officer Stoker.
    I hope that this throws a little light on your problem, if I can be of further help just ask, best regards Michael
    Michael, thanks for this most interesting reply which is very helpful.