Smile Ebenezer Clark, Publican, Malmesbury

I have been trying to find any info on my great great great grandfather Ebenezer Clark, who was a publican in the Malmesbury area. His wife's name was Elizabeth (Maiden name Owen). They were married in 1802 at nearby Grittleton according to my research. Also, their son William (my great great grandfather) b abt 1805, was living in London at the time and married Eliza Cope in 1839. On the marriage certificate it did list William's father as Ebenezer, publican as well. A geneaologist friend of mine has the Robson's Directory of Wiltshire 1839 and took a look for me and found a bit of info as well. Ebenezer was listed but Elizabeth WAS listed in Malmesbury in the section for Inns, Hotels, and Public Houses. The address listed was Westport. The directory lists the name of the public house as "CASTLE".

I am trying to build a detailed "picture", if you will, of Ebenezer, Elizabeth, my great great grandfather William as well as any other children that they may have had. I have made extensive use of ancestry.ca, familysearch etc. as well as obtaining as many birth, marriage and death certificates as I can. However as I have gone back the proverbial brick wall has manifested itself as I got back prior to 1839. Any help, insight, tips etc. would be eternally appreciated! Thanks guys!!

Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

Just an update - I was able to locate the Castle Inn at 82, Triangle in Malmesbury and Brett was able to find pictures of the building which still has the Castle reference on the front door!

Hoping someone here can help him with other children of Ebenezer and Elizabeth (other than his direct ancestor William!), and with the death date for both Ebenezer and Elizabeth. As Ebenezer was not mentioned in the 1839 Robson's (only his wife's name was given) I suspect he died prior to that date...

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Confirming your research

Groom's Name Ebenezer Clark
    Bride's Name Elizabeth Owen
    Date 29th April 1802
    Parish Grittleton
    County Wiltshire
    Event Marriage

NB the spelling of CLARK....I also look for it as CLERK ( being a name I research in Cheshire)

Could the lack of records on familysearch be due to

a) the record you require has not been placed on line

and/or

b) the family were non conformist in which case a) will also apply?

Have a look at genuki.orgt.uk

Growing old Disgracefully

Death for Ebenezer Clark

Ebenezer Clark
    Qrt Jan-Feb-Mar
    Malmesbury
    Wiltshire
    Volume: 8
    Page: 327

Knowledgeable and helpful DebbieAnn's Avatar

Sandy, I saw that also, but didn't know if it was the infant Ebenezer Clark born in Malmesbury the year before (1847), since I couldn't find the infant in the later census record...

Thanks for the help everybody! FYI, I did post a query a while back in rootschat as well, just to help with reducing redundancy.
    https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=358655.0

There was a gentleman there who had accessed some records from Malmesbury Abbey and I just noticed a couple items from his search that indicate that indeed Ebenezer and Elizabeth Clark had two daughters besides my great great grandfather William!

Clark, Ann d,of Ebenezer & Elizabeth 12Apr1807

Clark, Elizabeth, d,of Ebenezer & Elizabeth 28Oct1810

Clarke, Mary, d,of Ebenezer & Elizabeth of Westport, publican. 18Jun1815

Unfortunately no hits on a record of William though, but I am thinking Deborah may be right that Ebenezer and Elizabeth may have been gone by 1839 and that a daughter (Elizabeth) may have taken over the pub? Still digging here.....

I also copied and pasted my query into the Wiltshire County forum.

I'm sorry, we don't allow duplicate messages in different places as it divides and duplicates help effort. I've deleted the other one since this one already has replies.

Thanks for the heads up