knbkms

Default Electoral check up help please

Henry Richardson, born 1840, Mucking, Essex??

Has anyone got the means of checking for me the electoral rolls for the years 1903-1907 for an address, 39 Blakeleys Building, Deptford and see when Henry stopped living here. I have him right up to 1902, and then I made a note that he was here till 1907.... where I got that from I don't know, because I now cant find any proof that he was there till then... any help would be very much appreciated

Thank you
    Kim

Reputation beyond repute

Can you provide a fuller address, please? I can't find Blakeleys (or Blakeley's) Building on any of my street lists.

London Electoral Registers are online on Ancestry if you want to have a look. bear in mind it's OCR indexing not a transcription.

If you want to pop up to London Metropolitan Archives, there should be a fuller set of registers available and finding aids.

Naturally, he'll only be included if he had the vote. I only mention it because some people here have tended to forget that in those days we didn't have democracy in the sense of one person one vote.

knbkms

Dear Peter,
    Thanks for your speedy reply. The address is actually that, 39 Blakeleys Buildings. This could be where Ive misdirected you, could be under East Greenwich I suppose, it was definitely a place, because I have him at this address on the electoral rolls up till 1902. I could kick myself, I seem to have lost the proof that he is registered here with his wife Harriett in 1905, 1906 and 1907.... why would I have made notes in my collection without seeing this??? Maybe this is a bit clearer, and I do thank you for your help

Reputation beyond repute

Yes I see it now. North Greenwich rather than Deptford.

Henry Robinson was at 39 Blakeley Buidings in the 1907 register.

But in the 1908 register only Thomas Robinson is listed at number 39.

knbkms

Thanks Peter, so "Henry Richardson" was NOT here in 1907? Could I be a complete pain and ask you to check 1905 and 6, You see I have been searching for a death of this man for 18 months now, and am trying to pinpoint as near as I can as to when I actually have him. The only death I can find is one registered in June 1902 in Camberwell, 1d 454, or another in St Pancras in July 1906 which seems a bit of a distance away...... definitely a brick wall here.... He was definitely deceased by 1911 when Harriett died in the workhouse........

Reputation beyond repute

He was listed at No. 39 in the 1905, 1906 and 1907 registers but not 1908.

Somewhere I've got a list of qualifying dates - I'll have a look.

By the way, if anyone isn't familiar with the district, it's now mainly the O2 Arena (formerly the Millennium Dome)

Reputation beyond repute

I've found the table of qualifying dates. It isn't totally explicit for that period but I think it means that the qualifying date was 31 July.

In other words, the 1907 electoral register should be correct as at the 31 July 1906.

knbkms

So that rules him out of my 1902 death in Camberwell. The only other death that comes up is the one at St Pancras, July 1906.... but if he was at Blakeleys buildings in 1907, that rules that one out too. Have absolutely no idea now where to continue looking. Oh dear!!!!

knbkms

Although, the period is July/Aug/Sept 1906 so there is a possibility I suppose. But why on earth would his death be registered here??? I suppose the only way to clear this up is to buy the certificate, at least I would know for sure.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Be aware deaths were recorded largely where people died, be it a street accident, a Hospital or visiting some-one somewhere. If he died at home, that's where his death would be registered.
    You've sorted your own query with the electoral register, his death may have been very close to that time, & registered within the compulsory time limit.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.