Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jane Skidmore

Exclamation how do i locate my birth mother

i was born in Shropshire in 1950, i was adopted, no, contact from birth mother, her name is MAY CURRY.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Skidmore
    i was born in Shropshire in 1950, i was adopted, no, contact from birth mother, her name is MAY CURRY.
    Hello
    First place to look for information is the GRO (General Register Office) web-site. This includes specific advice on how to apply for a copy of your birth certificate
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/adoptions/
    I understand from a friend that the procedure is quite lengthy.

With the birth certificate, you can find if a father's name is recorded and proceed to try and trace the family from there.

continued......

Geoffers

part 2........

Let's assume that you just have a mother's name, birthplace and name and residence of informant and nowt else. Does the adoption agency have any records to help?

Check a directory to see who was shown as living at the address of the informant. Does this person also have the name CURRY? Is it Mary's husband or father?

Try to see if you can find a marriage for Mary CURRY in the GRO marriage index.
    If you can obtain a marriage certificate for her, it should hopefully record her father's name and occupation, also Mary Curry's age. With this you can trace her birth certificate and so her parents' marriage certificate. I know that this is taking you back in time and not what you want, but bear with me.

continued....

Geoffers

part 3.......

If you have a marriage certificate for Mary's parents, it will include the parents' ages which you can use to make a rough initial guess as to when they may have died; e.g. if Mary was born about 1932 and her parents married in 1930 aged 20 - one or both may still be alive, or have died recently. If Mary's parents were married in 1910 aged 30, they may well have died in the 1950's.

Using your best guess and the names you possess, now check the index to wills (this has been copied onto microfilm and can be seen at many local studies libraries and reocrd offices - 'phone your nearest to see what they hold).

continued.......

Geoffers

part 4.......

Wills - even just the index - can be a goldmine of information. Naming family (inlcuing married names), relationships and addresses. If you have a grandfather who died in the 1980's, you have an address for him which is only 20 years out of date. Check electoral rolls, directories, phone books for any names in the will. Does anyone living at the address, or in the area, know of the people who used to live there?

It's a process which takes time and which may involve having to take a step sideways in order to move forward. I believe though that the initiages which you can use to make a rough initial guess as to when they may have died; e.g. if Mary was born about 1932 and her parents married in 1930 aged 20 - one or both may still be alive, or have died recently. If Mary's parents were married in 1910 aged 30, they may well have died in the 1950's.

I hope that makes sense, but if not please ask
    Good luck
    Geoffers

Jane Skidmore

Question Geoffers

Thank you for the information. I, will deal with it shortly.
    I, think, I have got it wrong. Mothers' married name is Skidmore, her maiden name was Curry. thank you..Jane

Jane Skidmore

Exclamation Skidmore-nee Curry

Mother was employed at The Sandford Hotel, Church Stretton, Shropshire as
    a cook/chamber maid., that was the address put on the birth certificate.
    thank you. Jane

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hello Jane

I have no idea of what it may be like for you trying to trace your birth mother and i wish you a huge amount of luck in finding her. I am sure you have looked on the web for sites but i did find this as it rung a bell from a tv programme https://www.ukbirth-adoptionregister.com/ I think even the missing persons help line puts people in touch who have been adopted ( though not 100 % sure but no harm in asking )https://www.missingpersons.org/looking.asp.
    Hope i havent offended by putting these web addresses on

I sincerely hope you find her and all works out

Tracey

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Jane,
    I was going to recommend that you use Traceline, part of the GRO, but it seems that they can't help in adoption cases. But, they might be willing to tell you the basic information of whether your birth mother is still alive or has, sadly, died.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/re...ne/whofind.asp
    If you click on 'how do I start a search' on the right-hand side of the page, there's a phone number and they'll be able to say whether that basic info would be released to you.
    And, as always, Geoffers has given solid advice to how to get a head start by finding information for yourself, though you sound as if you already have your original birth certificate. If your mother's surname says 'Skidmore formerly Curry' then it should mean that she was married. It might be worth having a read of
    https://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certif...irths.htm#COL4
    regarding the inclusion or omission of a father's name.
    Remember when looking for a marriage certificate to look in the same quarter as your birth was registered.

Good luck.

Pam Downes

Geoffers

Mothers' married name is Skidmore, her maiden name was Curry
    Hello again Jane.
    Am I correct in assuming that both these names appear in your birth certificate - thus implying that your mum was married when you were born?

If so, it will take a couple of hours to do so, but try working through the GRO births index to see if any other SKIDMOREs are recorded with a mother's maiden name of CURRY - this may show if you have any siblings, or even a twin?! I'd suggest searching the period 1940-1960.

Is the Sandford Hotel at Church Stretton still in business? It's unlikely, but do they have any records from this period?

Geoffers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast