Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Loves to help with queries

Stevi, the pre 1851 database is good very good but not everything is there just as not everything is in the BM records. The records for the 1700s are not perfect for the sephardim and are even less perfect for the Ashkenazi community. Please please do not copy trees without checking.. when copying a mistake becomes fact... not good

Zoe Archer

Just an update on the dna front. I have tested and have matches to descendants of John/Jacob and Abraham!

Zoe

Starting to feel at home

I have received a pdf death certificate from GRO that supports the theory that David Mendes, that operated in Harrow Alley and later, Borough Road, as (amongst other things) an Army accoutrement maker, married Sarah de Jacob Simhon. According to Bevis Marks records, after the marriage of David Mendes and Sarah de Jacob Simhon in 1792, a number of children were recorded as born to a David Mendes and Sarah from 1792 to the 1800s. One of these children, also David Mendes, was recorded as circumcised in November 1810.

In the proceedings of the Old Bailey, 6 Jan 1831, a 20 year old David Mendes was indicted for breaking and entering the dwelling house of John Bentley, on the 13th of December 1830. He was described as a general dealer, and an accoutrement-maker. His working place was in the Borough-road and he had lived at No. 31, Bond-street, Borough-road, within twelve months. See also “the England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892” on Ancestry and on Findmypast re acquittal. The offence was “stealing 80 handkerchiefs, value 25l., his property”. The verdict was not guilty. The "London, England, Newgate Calendar of Prisoners, 1785-1853" on Ancestry for the session commencing Thursday the 6th of January, 1831 states at entry no 4 "David Mendes, Age 20, Dealer, charged with stealing 21 handkerchiefs, value £4. 10s., the property of John Bentley". See also the UK, Prison Commission Records, 1770-1951. It appears that there is a father and son both named David Mendes operating in the Borough Road area.

A likely candidate for David Mendes the younger is to be found in census records as David Mendes, a broker and general dealer, born in Southwark, appearing with his wife Amelia in census records, aged 25 in 1841 (Class: HO107; Piece: 1087; Book: 12; Civil Parish: St Olave; County: Surrey; Enumeration District: 6; Folio: 9; Page: 9) in St Olave, Surrey and aged 40 in 1851 in Lambeth (Class: HO107; Piece: 1570; Folio: 339; Page: 8). David the younger could not be traced in the 1861 census, but Amelia Mendis is at 5 Robert Street, Lambeth (Class: RG 9; Piece: 350; Folio: 54; Page: 23; Schedule 138. The death certificate I received was for David Mendes, born about 1811, his death being registered under GRO Reference: 1861 M Quarter in LAMBETH Volume 01D Page 205. This David Mendes died at 5 Robert Street, Lower Marsh, Lambeth 31 December 1860, so must be Amelia's husband. He was 50 years old, which fits with the November 1810 birth, and he is shown as a dealer in leather and sponge. The informant was Isaac Perez of 6 Tenter Street, Spitalfields. I have done some research on Isaac - he married Sarah Cohen and had several children, but I can't find an obvious connection to David Mendes. However Tenter Street does come up in connection with Guershon, son of Jacob Mendes and Charlotte de Joseph Habilho, who is at 9 Tenter Street in 1851.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456