Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I am following this thread because I am descended from the Hannah Mendes that married Samuel Nathan at the Great Synagogue in 1808.
    I am amazed and delighted by all the information you have all gathered and my head is reeling. Don't stop!
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Ladkyis, I am am descended from Abraham Mendes (Hannah's brother). So we are cousins. If you are on Ancestry you should check out my pages on these people. I have yet to post my write up on David's financial woes. Another researcher on Ancestry who runs a tree called MENDES has comprehensive details on the bankruptcy from the London Gazette. My tree is called SMITH PARRETT FAMILY TREE. If I recall rightly Hannah and Samuel lived in Southwark. I think Hannah's father David may have spent his remaining years checking in and out of the Southwark workhouse. I am uncertain as to his death. There are two registered deaths of David Mendes one in 1850 and one in 1854. The 1850. The last check in at the Southwark workhouse was 1846 and I don't see a discharge record.

In an attempt to narrow the focus on David Mendes/Mendez here is a newspaper account of a David MENDEZ ( is he the husband of Sarah Mendes see #5 with the huge number of children, grandchildren, great grandchildren?). This David who appears as a prisoner - Surrey Sessions-September 15,1834
    "David Mendez , a Jew, upwards of 70 years of age was indicted for stealing a truck, the property of James Read in the parish of St George the Martyr. The prisoner is the father,grandfather, and great grandfather of no less than 173 males and females... Sentenced to three months imprisonment and hard labour at Brixton."
    Jackson's Oxford Journal Sat Sept 20, 1834.
    This article gives a dob for this David of circa 1764.
    Phillip

Yes Phillip, I think that is our tragic David. I think his family may have to some degree started to disown him, hence the in and out of the work house. I too saw that criminal record and thought that was David Mendez whose dob I have as 1769. The same one with the bankruptcy woes.

I just want to update my post on Sara Simhon and whether she could indeed be a wife of David (let's call him financial woes David). I miss recalled my research when I first posted. There is a suggested daughter of David and Sarah named Ann (Yenta) Mendes (born in Aldgate 1804) who married Elias Levi. She in fact was the one who had the addresses in Chelsea in the 1851 census. However I actually do not know where Sarah was born or raised. All we know is that marriage took place at the Great Synagogue (Jewishgen is source for that) I do not have a date and that would be awesome if someone had access to Great Synagogue records and could provide a date. I suspect it is around 1803. Ann was born in 1804. Ann and Elias DID start their life together south of the river as census information shows that their first child was born in Southwark and another child in Lambeth. This does put them in geographical proximity of the Portsaken/Southwark Mendes family. I am wondering if Sarah is a second wife of David Mendes. Like I said before people on Ancestry say that David Mendez married a "Rebecca" and she is the mother of Hannah, Abraham and Joseph. There certainly could be more children and more wives!!! Elias and Ann must have done well as they moved to the North side of the river! Even in 1850 Chelsea would have been a more swish address than Southwark! To get to the number of children these articles are suggesting we need to find more children and possibly more wives of David!!!

Here is data on Great Synagogue Marriages for MENDES from 1791 see Synagogue Scribes website Marriages. I will post on any other relevant data:
    GSM 145/31
    Sarah MENDES 19 August 1812 father Shmuel Rodrigue Mendes Sephardi spouse Alexander HARRIS
    GSM 055/5 Sarah MENDES 2 March 1800 father Benjamin spouse Joseph MYERS
    GSM 113/08 Hannah Mendes 6 Jan 1808 father DAVID MENDES Sephardi spouse Samuel NATHAN
    GSM 240/49 Ann Mendes 7 Sept 1826 father DAVID MENDES spouse Elias LEVI
    GSM146/10 Esther Mendes 23 Dec 1812 father DAVID MENDES Sephardi spouse Mark MARKS
    There is another record which I have missed and will post.
    You now have a date when Ann Mendes who married Elias Levi.
    Phillip

For clarity and to help other researchers here are Ann and Elias with family in the 1841 British Census:
    HO107 733 8 134 1 22 (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    Davis Street St. George Hanover Square Westminster
    Elias LEVI 35 Glass Cutter Y
    Ann Levi 25 Y
    Lewis Levi 14 N
    David Levi 9 N
    Sarah Levi 8 N
    Maria Levi 6 N
    John Levi 5 Y
    Louisa Levi 3 Y
    Nathaniel Levi 9 mths Y

Y indicates born in county; N Not born in county

Phillip

To prevent repetition researchers should read the thread Levi and Hirsh London posted first 06.07.2014- these posts provide a range of data on Elias Levi.
    Phillip

Quote Originally Posted by jparrettsmith View Post
    Ladkyis, I am am descended from Abraham Mendes (Hannah's brother). So we are cousins. If you are on Ancestry you should check out my pages on these people. I have yet to post my write up on David's financial woes. Another researcher on Ancestry who runs a tree called MENDES has comprehensive details on the bankruptcy from the London Gazette. My tree is called SMITH PARRETT FAMILY TREE. If I recall rightly Hannah and Samuel lived in Southwark. I think Hannah's father David may have spent his remaining years checking in and out of the Southwark workhouse. I am uncertain as to his death. There are two registered deaths of David Mendes one in 1850 and one in 1854. The 1850. The last check in at the Southwark workhouse was 1846 and I don't see a discharge record.
    I took a look at the tree on Ancestry and now I have questions. There are two John NATHANs one born 1818 which you say died in 1821 and the next born 1819 and died 1906. How can this be right? Did you check records? and find this? or is is just copied from the Kath Baines family tree which has the same errors - or did they copy from you?
    I am asking because I have tried my best to assimilate all the information and now my head hurts. I have printed this thread and I will check with all my sources as I go through it.

OH and where are David and Aaron Nathan, elder brothers of John NATHAN? - One of them was mentioned in the newspaper report of the "Felonious Killing and Slaying" of Samuel NATHAN in 1842
    Last edited by Ladkyis; 20-04-2017 at 11:55 AM. Reason: added some stuff
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

I just copied that from another tree as that is not my family line but I am trying to fill in realtionships. If you have a correction can you point me to the correct tree and I will fix.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast