Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    S Williamson

Angry Charge of the Light Brigade member?

This has probably been posted a million times but...

My 3X great grandfather James Hiram Williamson was born ~1819 or 1838--have conflicting information...his death record states his birthdate as 1819-filled out by his wife.
    Minwhile his US Natrualzation index card states his birthdate as 25 March 1838 in England.

But i know he was in Waltham, MA, USA in atleast 1865 because its when he got married. And he died in Waltham on 22 Nov 1903.

I Googled "James Williamson death Waltham Massachusetts 1903" and found a snippet of a book, American Primary Teacher, Vol 27, published 1903, where the author says "We have been reminded recently of the poem the charge of the light brigade....the other day Hiram Williamson died in Waltham, Massachusetts. As far as is known he is the only man in America who was in that battle." It also says in another snippet that he went to fight in the Civil War in 15 battles.

I also came across a newspaper article that said:
    Member of the Light Brigade
    WALTHAM, Ma--nov 23- james Hiram Wilkinson, said to be the last survivor in the United States of the famous charge of the light brigade at baklava died in his home in this city last night at age 84. Wilkinson was a possessor of a Victorian metal given to him personally and by Queen Victoria."

So what do i do now?

Have found him in any census?

Do you know the names of his parents or siblings? There's a James H Williamson age 7 in the 1841 census for Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England. Parents James & Isabella. Sibs Isabella, Alexander & Alfred. In the 1951, Isabella, Alfred & James are with father James and a different wife, Mary Louisa in Southampton. Dad's a mariner.

Possibly you have details for two different chaps.

The 1880 census for Massachusetts has:
    Hiram Williamson born 1827, wife Mary E, living - Leicester, Worcester, Massachusetts.
    Hiram Williamson born 1837, wife Jenny E, living - Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by S Williamson View Post
    This has probably been posted a million times but...

My 3X great grandfather James Hiram Williamson was born ~1819 or 1838--have conflicting information...his death record states his birthdate as 1819-filled out by his wife.
    Minwhile his US Natrualzation index card states his birthdate as 25 March 1838 in England.
    The difference in years could mean a different generation, or almost certainly a different person with the same name. You can have what you think is a very unique name and are then shocked when you find that it isn't. (Got the T-shirt for that one.)
    But i know he was in Waltham, MA, USA in atleast 1865 because its when he got married. And he died in Waltham on 22 Nov 1903.
    Do you have, or can you get, a copy of his marriage certificate? I don't know if a certificate from those days would give ages, names of parents, etc
    I Googled "James Williamson death Waltham Massachusetts 1903" and found a snippet of a book, American Primary Teacher, Vol 27, published 1903, where the author says "We have been reminded recently of the poem the charge of the light brigade....the other day Hiram Williamson died in Waltham, Massachusetts. As far as is known he is the only man in America who was in that battle." It also says in another snippet that he went to fight in the Civil War in 15 battles.

I also came across a newspaper article that said:
    Member of the Light Brigade
    WALTHAM, Ma--nov 23- james Hiram Wilkinson, said to be the last survivor in the United States of the famous charge of the light brigade at baklava died in his home in this city last night at age 84. Wilkinson was a possessor of a Victorian metal given to him personally and by Queen Victoria."

So what do i do now?
    I presume that the newspaper article was dated 1903, which would make James born c1819.
    Meaning he would be 35 at the time of the charge of the Light Brigade, and 42 at the start of the Civil War. I would have thought 42+ perhaps a little old for a soldier, though as a 'veteran' his fighting knowledge would have been useful.

Certainly conflicting information.

Pam

Do you have, or can you get, a copy of his marriage certificate? I don't know if a certificate from those days would give ages, names of parents, etc
    If I've found the right marriage, these are the details:
    Hiram Williamson born abt 1837, England, Married 20 Sep 1865, at Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
    Age 28, Father Hiram, Mother Elisabeth[sic]
    Spouse Jennie E Holbrook, age 18, born Waltham, Father Solemen[sic], Mother Mary

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

You really need his service number, which would be on the medal.
    Goggling his name and charge of the light brigade did bring up a few newspaper articles as you have above.
    Looking on the medal rolls on Ancestry for the Crimean War, there are 7 James Wilkinson's (no Hiram) , none have middle names and none are in the right regiment, it has to be one of these mentioned here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_..._Light_Brigade
    There is however this chap-

Name:
    James Walkinson

Campaign or Service:
    Crimean War

Service Date:
    1854-1855

Service Location:
    Crimea

Regiment or Unit Name:
    13th Light Dragoons

Regimental Number:

Could be a mis-spelling in the original record?
    I am not sure about the personal awarding of the medal by Queen Victoria either.

regards

Robert

There was a Hiram and Elizabeth having children christened in Manchester, but I don't see a son James Hiram.

James William, 8 April 1827, Sarah Ann, 20 March 1825.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi Sorry start again, I misread the last name, or is it right?
    What is correct, Wilkinson or Williamson?
    Only James Williamson's in the medal rolls and none in the right regiments.
    Still need the medal to confirm things.

regards

Robert

What is correct, Wilkinson or Williamson?
    That confused me too. I went with Williamson as the name most mentioned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast