Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    S Williamson

When researching Fred his fathers birthplace switched back and forth between England and Massachusetts in the 1900 and 1920? Census. Or 1910 and 1930? One of those. I remember because it confused me haha...

S Williamson

HA! Try figuring this one!

It lists a Mary Holbrook born about 1818
    Jenny's mother Mary i have was born abt 1817 in MA
    It lists a Hellen Holbrook-Jenny had a sister Helen i have born abt 1851 in MA
    At one point shes in the city directory as living at the same house as Hiram and Jenny

& i looked at the house number-185. If you look at the previous page it says Chestnut Street.
    But why it would say widowed and single i have no idea...

S Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by S Williamson View Post
    HA! Try figuring this one!

It lists a Mary Holbrook born about 1818
    Jenny's mother Mary i have was born abt 1817 in MA
    It lists a Hellen Holbrook-Jenny had a sister Helen i have born abt 1851 in MA ..
    I forgot!!!!! Jenny also had a sister Lewella born abot 1861 in MA.
    Lewella married. Earnest Adams on Dec. 4 1888 at the age of ~ 27 and he was ~33 which goes with the 1930 us cencus of Lewella and Earnest Adams saying he was 33 and she was 28.

And the date for Edward would fit give a year....

Something to definately think on...
    Thank you almach!

Have to go out soon, here's a quick post.

In 1865 census Hiram was working in a Cotton Factory, living Waltham.
    1870 census he's a Baker living Waltham
    1880 census he's a Machinist in Watertown

It's going to take some figuring out!

S Williamson

Yes, thats what have also seen.

S Williamson

Looking through Newspapers.com i found some articles published in April 1889 about Hiram Williamson.
    In the Fort Scott Daily of Fort Scott, Kansas it states " A Balaklava Veteran--Hiram Williamson who has just been appointed chief porter at the Boston post office was one of the immortal 600 who rode into the valley of death at Balaklava on the morning of October 25 1856. He possesses one of the clasp medals presented by Queen Victoria at Hyde Park to the returned Crimean soliders with her likeness in bas relief on one side, and the words "Victoria" below, and "Crimean" above while on the four bars that in part form the cover are the historic siege and battle names Alma, Inkermann, Balaklava abd Sebastopol.
    In 1859 in company with a solider comrade Mr. Williamson came to this country and on the breaking out of the civil war both enlisted in the First Regiment of Massachusetts volunteers. His companion was killed at the battle of Glendale. Mr.Williamson remained in service until mustered out, a period of three years and three months.
    In point of valor displayed and loss sustained he places the charge at Balaklava below that witnessed in many engagments of the civil war. In all his army perils he speaks of being conscious of greater personal danger at a short fierce fight at Yorktown, which resulted in the capture of a rebel battery, then at any other time during his ten years' service on two continents. Mr. Williamson is now 70 years of age."

Another article dated Nov 23 1903 concerning his death reads:
    "BALAKLAVA SURVIVOR DIES AT WALTHAM--Nov 22--Hiram Williamson, an old solider died at his home in this city today. He was born at Manchester, England 84 years ago and was one of the survivors of the famous charge of the gallant 600 at Balaklava during the Crimean War.
    Before the outbreak of the Crimean war he has seen cconsiderable service in the British Army, especially as a cavalryman, and was a member of the Seventeenth Lancers, which made the noted charge. After the Crimean war Mr Williamson came to this country. At the outbreak of the civil war he enlisted in a Boston regiment, serving through the war and having a record of 15 battles. He was on the firing line at Spottsylvania when General Stonewall Jackson was killed. Until a short time ago the was a clerk at the Boston postoffice."

How would i begin researching his British miltary career?
    Medal rolls?
    Rosters?

Does anyone know of any free searchable databases i could try first?

Brick wall demolition expert!

I had a look on the National Archives site to see what that has about the Charge of the Light Brigade, it does not have anything searchable on line - simply of list of known holdings and where they are:
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...+light+brigade

Findmypast is not free, but it does have various data sets, which can search for free, but which you would have to buy credits to see.

This forum's sponsor "Forces War Records" may hold records that would help, but again it is not free.

thewideeyedowl

This is a site all about Victorian wars: https://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/intro.html. The link should take you to the Home page, then investigate the various lists. I did a very quick search for WILIAMSON in the Crimea casualty rolls - which include wounded - and the name came up several times (though probably not your man!). Anyway, it is always worth taking a look at the site.

Owl

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123