Default Army of Reserve, 1805, John Baker

John Baker married Elizabeth Petrey in 1800 in Durham. Their third child was baptized in the same church, St Oswald's, in 1805, when John Baker is " a soldier in the Army of Reserve, native of North America". Other baptisms give his place of birth as New York and his occupation as "carpet weaver".
    Can anyone tell me what this Army of Reserve was?

Reputation beyond repute

Can anyone tell me what this Army of Reserve was?
    A reserve force during the Napoleonic Wars. Findmypast has a category called "Napoleonic War Records 1775 - 1817" which includes a listing of members of the Army of Reserve which appears to have been extracted mainly from WO12. The listing isn't necessarily very informative and you're looking for a common name.

Findmypast has a description and explanation of the record set which you should be able to read without subscribing.

Reputation beyond repute

I could have added see Wikipedia under "British anti-invasion preparations of 1803–1805"

Once again, thank you, Peter. I have had a good look at the Wikipedia and findmypast information and now all is much clearer. I am interested in the Napoleonic era, particularly the French POWs, and ours in France, but had never come across this Army of Reserve before. And I found him, John Baker, 1803, Durham, with a reference number. So, brilliant! Thanks a lot, you are a mine of information.

Reputation beyond repute

I found him, John Baker, 1803, Durham, with a reference number
    It that the one with a reference of E182/283(pt2)? FMP says this relates to "Deserter Bounty Certificates"

The National Archives catalogue says E182/283 is "Particulars of Account of Land and Assessed Taxes. DURHAM AND NORTHUMBERLAND" so perhaps it doesn't refer to TNA.

I'm confused. Has any got information to clarify this?