Geoffers

Default John LOWE 157th NYSV

John Lowe, was born in Buxton, Norfolk in 1835. He emigrated with his widowed father and several siblings in 1850, settling in Madison County, New York.

During the American Civil War, John Lowe enlisted as a private in 'A' Company of the 157th New York State Volunteers. The regiment fought at Gettysburg 1st/2nd July 1863 and John Lowe was among 98 members of the regiment who were captured by the Confederate army. He was held at Dumfries, Belle Island, Morris Island and Richmond, Virginia; before being released on parole at City Point, Virginia on 29th September 1863. He rejoined his regiment and was discharged at Charleston, 10th July 1865. John Lowe died in 1919 and is buried at Pratt's Hollow.

I have been given a lot of information by descendents of John Lowe, but am looking for other relations of this emigrant family.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

A fountain of knowledge

Default John Lowe extended family

Are you looking for descendants of John's siblings? Have you or the US cousins been able to track the family on the US census from 1850 on? If they stayed in NY, there is also the State census, filmed by the LDS, taken in years ending in 5. The state census can be incredibly detailed. It was on the 1865 that I learned that a relative had been wounded at Gettysburg (120th NY), and also found out every crop that my farmer ancestor raised.

Geoffers

[Are you looking for descendants of John's siblings?]

Wotcha. Yes, the message was posted in the hope that someone someday may be so related. Several lines have been traced to the present day, but there are some who stubbornly remain hidden - ah well, such is life

[Have you or the US cousins been able to track the family on the US census from 1850 on? If they stayed in NY, there is also the State census, filmed by the LDS, taken in years ending in 5.]

Yes, thanks to some American cousins, the US census returns have been plundered - as well as those you mention, there was also an odd little census in (from memory) 1892 that we have details from.

[The state census can be incredibly detailed. It was on the 1865 that I learned that a relative had been wounded at Gettysburg (120th NY), and also found out every crop that my farmer ancestor raised]

Whereabouts in NY was your relative from? You should post a message with what you know. If nothing else, your message may give an idea to researchers on this side of the pond, what sort of information is available. Have you been able to locate his pension record? I was surprised at the detail given when it (eventually) arrvied.

Geoffers
    in a gloomy Charlbury, Oxfordshire

A fountain of knowledge

Default Info in NARA files

[Whereabouts in NY was your relative from? You should post a message with what you know. If nothing else, your message may give an idea to researchers on this side of the pond, what sort of information is available. Have you been able to locate his pension record?]

My great-grandfather (Artificer, Co. E, 15th NY Engineers) & my grandmother's half-uncle (Pvt., 120th NY Vol.) were both from Greene Co., NY. I have the military & pension files for the former, the pension file for the latter. From the regimental histories, it appears that both may have been present at Lee's surrender. (Wow.)

As for what I know from their files (plus the state census?), I think I'd best wait until posting problems are solved. Anything that lengthy would get hopelessly garbled!

A fountain of knowledge

Default Lowe family

Have you searched the archives of the Lowe (and Low?) mailing lists at Rootsweb? And any related message boards? And posted the surname, dates & emigration path to the RSL?

Peggy
    (in sunny South Florida)

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy
    Have you searched the archives of the Lowe (and Low?) mailing lists at Rootsweb? And any related message boards? And posted the surname, dates & emigration path to the RSL? Peggy (in sunny South Florida)
    Thanks again, yes I have tried that and the last mailing list to which I subscribe is for Madison County.
    TTFN
    Geoffers