YvonneC

Default Is there a record of Special Constables ?

Does anyone know if there is a record of Special Constables for Herts. for the period 1895 - 1920 please. I've been told my Grandad, Thomas Childs, born Hertford Heath/Little Amwell, Herts, in 1875, was a Special & I'm wondering if there is anywhere I might be able to find some info. without incurring any fees ???

Thanks Yvonne

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

To me, the obvious people to contact in the first instance are Hertfordshire Police.

I found this page which has a feedback and enquiries link on the right-hand side.
    https://www.herts.police.uk/hertfords...in_herts.aspx#

Pam

adrian56

Just as a side note I found out that my maternal grandfather applied for Special Constable through the freedom of the city ( London ) which I found through Ancestry.com
    I don't know if that's any help or not or as Pam suggested maybe through the Herts police,
    Now I could be wrong here but if memory serves the role of S.C.s was basically in the role of air wardens so necessarily not police officers per se .
    Regards
    Adrian : )

Adrian, Special constables may have been given responsibilities as air wardens during the wars but they've existed as special (police) constables since 1673. See the link in post #3.

Pam

adrian56

Default special constables

oops didn't really read that sorry : )

YvonneC

Hi Pam & thanks. I had looked at the website you suggest but wasn't sure whether I should use the enq. form in this respect. I suppose nothing ventured nothing gained so I'll give it a go, they can only say N-O !!!
    Thanks again
    Yvonne

A gentleman, in every sense of the word. Geoff Wycherley's Avatar

My late Father served as a Special Constable from the 1930'sto the early 60's reaching the rank of Sergeant. I tried some time back to see if any records were available,this was through Lancashire Constabulary. The reply I got back was that no records of Specials were kept by the force, however you could try the Home Office as they were responsible for Special's.

YvonneC

Many thanks for the info Geoff. I have already emailed Herts Police to enq. but I won't hold out much hope after what you have said ! I'll let you know how I get on in due course...........
    Yvonne