inaramol

Default Court Martials on the Isle de Leon in 1814

Dear Forum,
    I am researching my husband's family tree and one of his forebears was court martialled on the 25th & 26th April 1814 on the Isle de Leon, Spain. I assume he was in service at the time for the British Army ? His name was John Bradley and he was transported for life on the ship Baring to Australia in 1815. How would I go about finding out what happened and more information about his service record generally?
    Thanks. Inara

thewideeyedowl

Default Background

Hi Inara and a very warm welcome to Brit Gen...

I cannot offer any specific help, I am afraid - (sorry) - but these are the holdings at The National Archives (TNA) that mention Isla de Leon: https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...=1800&_ed=1820. Not very many, but might be worth a look.

For my own Napoleonic Wars research, I find this website very useful: https://www.britisharmyresearchnapoleonicwars.co.uk.

Swooping off now.

Owl

inaramol

Dear Owl!

Thank you so much for your quick response. I'll check out your suggestions now.

Inara

thewideeyedowl

Default Registers of courts martial

Hi again, Inara

Have had a further look on TNA. The holding WO 90/1 is entitled "Judge Advocate General's Office: general courts martial registers, abroad. 1796-1825". Here is the link: https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?Uri=C1026631. You will see that this archive has not been digitised so the only options are either to go to Kew to see it or to request a quotation for some or all of it to be copied and sent to you.

If you have a good browse round TNA's website, starting at the home page, you will be able to discover how to put in a request. Also, do please read the very useful Research Guides on the site - they are always an excellent starting point.

When I tried Ancestry for a John Bradley for this period about 140 came up. So I gave up. Sorry. IF you knew approximately where he was born, the list could be thinned down drastically.

For general background, you could also take a look at the napoleon-series.org websites. These, mainly, report on articles and books on (often obscure) aspects of these wars, and cover many - possibly all? - of the countries that got drawn into the conflict. (In Europe, this war was known as The Great War until the 1914-1918 one came along a century later.)

You could also try Australian websites for info about transportees, and there are lots of Brit Gen members who could help you if you try that approach; if you go down that route, start a new thread on John Bradley in the appropriate forum.

Off to roost now

Owl