Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    consignee

Default Alured Gray Bell b. Alexandria, Egypt 1870

Looking for biographical information about Alured Gray Bell born Alexandria, Egypt 14th April, 1870 and died 1925, Kensington, London. He appears in the English Census 1881 and 1901. He lived in Rio de Janeiro for two years (after 1901) and wrote the first book in English about the city, "The beautiful Rio de Janeiro", published April, 1914. His father was James Leonard Bell b. 10 Jun 1842 Egypt, d. 19 Mar 1887.

Apologies, no information to hand about military service, if any, for either gentleman.

Thank you

thewideeyedowl

Default Divorce petition, 1908

Hi again, Consignee....

Glad you have set us another challenge! Have just had a very quick check on TNA and see that he petitioned for divorce in 1908. The respondent was his wife Minnie Charlotte Bell and the co-respondent Owen Howard Owen. Unfortunately, the record has not been digitised and can be viewed only at Kew. But here's the reference: https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=C8001619. You might find something more on this in a newspaper archive?

So, was there any link between the failure of his marriage and the time he spent in Brazil?? Just speculation, I am afraid.

Not much to go on. Sorry about that.

Owl

thewideeyedowl

Default Bell family trees

Hi, me again...

Have just found some Bell family trees, and here is the entry for Alured:
    https://www.queenslandfamilytrees.com...ID=I301&tree=9. (Yes, nearer your place than mine...)

Obviously, info from any online tree has to be approached with great care, but this looks as if it has been reasonably well researched. When you click on John Leonard Bell, you will find a family group painting from 1849.

It looks as if the Bell family had a long association with Alexandria - grandfather Thomas was a merchant there, too - but the family roots were in England, and that is where marriages were contracted.

But had you already found these trees?

Off to roost now.

Owl

janbooth

There is a small article about Alured Gray BELL's divorce in the Western Times which can be accessed using FindmyPast which is a pay per view site. There are also a couple of other articles mentioning his full name including one he wrote about the Boer War and several more under the name Alured BELL or Alured G BELL. Could be worth a look.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 04-06-2014 at 9:58 AM. Reason: correction of text

thewideeyedowl

Default Owen Owen Lid, Liverpool

Admittedly this is going off at a tangent, but here goes:

Owen Owen Ltd was a large and well-respected department store in Liverpool, founded and run by a Welshman called Owen Owen. (You can check it out in Wikipedia.)

So I am wondering whether the Owen Howard Owen who was the co-respondent in the Bell divorce case might have been a scion of this Owen family. Also, whether there might have been some trade/merchant rivalry between the Bell and Owen families.

If we could establish some info about the divorce case, we might be able to build a picture of Alured.

Swooping off now.

Owl

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Married by Licence 19 June 1867
    St Matthews Church Brixton
    James Leonard BELL 25 merchant of Alexandria Egypt living Westminster s/o Thomas BELL Merchant
    & Isabel Francis BATEMAN 18 living Brixton d/o Henry BATEMAN Stockbroker
    Alured Grey BELL born 1871 Alexandria Egypt
    Henry M 1874
    Gregory T 1879
    Cyril M 1879
    Richard ET 1883
    Ella Una Georgette 1886
    Alured married Minnie Charlotte KNAPP 19 August 1899 witnesses E Una BELL & GT BELL
    Alured was the petitioner in a divorce against his wife & Owen Howard OWEN decree nisi 7 May 1908
    Co respondent was ordered to pay Alured £500 damages

Family can be found on 1891 census, parents only at RG11 3916 136 54, ancestry used some info is on familysearch

thewideeyedowl

Default Journalist

Alured is repeatedly described as 'journalist', but I have not established for which publications he wrote. In the 1901 census, aged 30, he is 'Journalist. Author'; lives in Fulham with his young wife, Minnie (26) and her sister Dorothy (25). Ref: RG13, Piece 66, Folio 78, Page 11.

We know there was the divorce in 1908. (But what happened? Why? Has anyone discovered? I don't have free access to newspaper archives...)

Have discovered that he made at least two trips to South America - probably more(?). He returned to Liverpool on board the Deseado on 26 June 1913, and on board the Demerara on 16 December 1915. On both passenger lists (accessed via Ancestry), his profession is 'Journalist'. The ships were run by the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company.

His book about the Rio was published in 1914.

Incidentally, Alured was educated at Christ's Hospital School, Hertford. His name is there, in a very long list, on the 1881 census. So, as the family was based in Egypt, he would have been a boarder. This supports the perception that he came from a prosperous background.

I still think some info about the divorce would shed some light on his reasons for possibly immersing himself in South America.

Off to roost.

Owl

But what happened? Why? Has anyone discovered?
    Admitted adultery by Minnie BELL with Owen Howard OWEN circa 1907/8 ( divorce application on ancestry)

I am not sure how long the family were in Egypt, as I can see them on the 1881 -1911 census

We know from the birth of the children

1871 Egypt
    1874 SriLanka
    1877 Sri Lanka
    1879 Surrey
    1881....Husband & wife are recorded in Chorlton upon medlock Manchester
    1883 Evesham Worcs
    1886 Egypt
    1887 22 March James L BELL buried Norwood

Bit late now but just stumbled on this not read but know it is connected

https://www.oxforddnb.com/view/printable/30683

probably same article

https://www.oxforddnb.com/templates/o...rticleid=30683

Bell family dates recorded list is alphabetical

https://website.lineone.net/~remosliema/residents4.htm

Starting to get complex!!

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=d...0egypt&f=false

thewideeyedowl

Default Did Alured work for The Times?

Good morning all....

Geneius, what you found so late last night is really interesting - have been checking it out while having breakfast!

The DNB entries for Charles Moberley Bell state that he was a'future manager of The Times', which makes me think that perhaps Alured worked for The Times. Can old archives for the newspaper be checked online? Think I have seen somewhere that they can but I am going to be out all day.

Charles was not one of Alured's brothers but perhaps an uncle or cousin?

If you check the queenslandfamilytrees link I found earlier, you will see Alured's siblings and family confirmed. Haven't had the time to click around there to see how Charles Moberley Bell fits in.

Swooping off for the rest of the daylight hours.

Owl

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast