Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    janbooth

I think the Sheffield Daily Telegraph may have been one of the newspapers he wrote for as there appear to be quite a few hits for this newspaper using his name as the search parameter including one on the British Garrison in Egypt. Also other articles for various newspapers re Egypt. There are references to the fact that he was considering running for Parliament in the Hallamshire constituency.

Very little on his divorce. Just the one article with hardly any information.

Janet

consignee

Hi Owl,

Yes, thank you, did find listing for Alured in this Queensland site. Would be interesting to know why the family was in Queensland. Waiting for my free registration to this site to be approved and ask for local information in their forum.

consignee

Thank you to Owl, geneius and janbooth for your time spent to reply. It is greatly appreciated. I am completely unfamiliar with the type of information to be found in divorce records. So as not to waste anyone's valuable time, the type of biographical information I'm looking for on Bell concerns his occupation, possible military service, travelling and that sort of thing. Shall definitely follow up on the Sheffield Telegraph lead. He signs and dates the introduction to his book on Rio as Craven Hotel, Strand, London., January 1914.
    Interestingly, just a few months before the outbreak of WWI. At around 44 years old, wonder what he did during the war years.

Thank you again

consignee

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    I think the Sheffield Daily Telegraph may have been one of the newspapers he wrote for as there appear to be quite a few hits for this newspaper using his name as the search parameter including one on the British Garrison in Egypt. Also other articles for various newspapers re Egypt. There are references to the fact that he was considering running for Parliament in the Hallamshire constituency.

Very little on his divorce. Just the one article with hardly any information.

Janet
    Thank you Janet. Have found a couple of articles and letters to the Editor (1904) that he wrote and published in the Sheffield Daily. Regrettably, only have the titles as they require a paid sub to view the full article. He is mentioned in association with Liberal Parliamentarian, Sir Frederick Mappin around 1904. In the same year, Bell gave 'lantern' lectures at Conservative meetings at Chapeltown and Oughtbridge.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

https://www.scoop-database.com/list/atoz_journalist/b

Alphabetical journalist listing entitled Biography for Alured Gray Bell

consignee

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    https://www.scoop-database.com/list/atoz_journalist/b

Alphabetical journalist listing entitled Biography for Alured Gray Bell
    As I work for a not-for-profit library, regrettably, I'm limited to free sites. This looks the goods, though, pity.

Thank you

CanadianCousin

I see that you can get a 24-hour subscription for just £5 (AU$9), which doesn't seem unreasonable. There's also a listing for an A. G. Bell - perhaps Alured wrote under that name as well? Plus, there's biography of Charles Frederic Moberly Bell at the same site, which may tell you whether they were related or not.

consignee

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianCousin View Post
    I see that you can get a 24-hour subscription for just £5 (AU$9), which doesn't seem unreasonable. There's also a listing for an A. G. Bell - perhaps Alured wrote under that name as well? Plus, there's biography of Charles Frederic Moberly Bell at the same site, which may tell you whether they were related or not.
    Thank you CanadianCousin and G'day from Australia.
    Working on a project to digitise a catalogue of some 5000 books in a collection of 30,000 items. Mainly 19th century and early 20th century authors. I like to include a biographical note regarding the author as the old records only give the name of the author. Through this forum, have been able to give many soldier/authors a rightful place in perpetuity and assist researchers using our catalogue.
    It is the Queen's birthday holiday weekend here and have free access to Ancestry.com so will make 'hay while the sun shines'. Have established that Charles Fredric Moberly Bell is not related.

For anyone interested, have written a blog post regarding Alured Gray Bell's book on Rio that will be posted shortly on:
    https://rgssamachupicchu.blogspot.com.au/
    Followers to the blog would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again

consignee

Just to add that we are not-for-profit library and I work in a volunteer capacity.

Again, my thanks.

consignee

Biographical information gathered here is for public record.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast