Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ausiejude

Default Great Waltham homes

After watching with interest the TV program 'Escape to the country' I became more interested in looking at the homes of old England. Last night they featured Essex and I delayed going to bed to watch, but sadly they didn't show any areas near to Chelmsford. My Ives ancestors came from Great Waltham and my ancestor Isaac Ives was still alive in the 1881 census, but I couldn't find where they lived, as it only listed the number and the hamlet. I do have family information that he died on 15/04/1885 that both he and his wife Susanna, who died 16/12/1869 were buried in the Badford, Great Waltham Churchyard but nothing to say where they might have lived. I understand that the home may no longer be in existence but after seeing all the homes that had been restored from way beyond that period - hence my query. Is there anyway that I could find out exactly where they lived via the internet. ?
    Thanks,
    ausiejude

Wilkes_ml

A bit late, as I've been awol for a while. The only thing that comes to mind, which may help locate the actual land/property owned would be tithe maps with corresponding tithe documents that list the owner/occupier of the land. Also a copy of the "knights of the Realm" which list land owners, and may list the actual building number (I can't recall if it did). I'm pretty sure I found the "Knights of the Realm" on Ancestry.

ausiejude

Default Great Waltham homes

Thanks very much for the post,nothing is ever too late as I am still researching and probably will for many more years to come.

Jude

FreeBMd has the death registration of an Isaac Ives, age 77, Jun Qtr 1885, Chelmsford, 41 211

The 23rd Sep 1882 edition of the Essex Newsman reporting on thee harvest festival reported ".... Isaac Ives, who has just retired from the position of head gardener at Langleys, at the age of 75....... Mr Ives has worked in the gardens since he was eight years old....."

Perhaps the head gardener occupied one of the estate's/park's cottages?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Reputation beyond repute

The census lists him as being in the village.

Have a poke around the village and see how close he was to the pub or anywhere that might help you get your bearings.

Various documents such as the burial register and death certificate might be more precise.

I had googled "head gardeners langley great waltham" and turned up the reminiscences of the son of a subsequent head gardener - who had lived in Cherry Trees Cottages opposite the Rose and Crown before moving to the North lodge.

In 1911 the Head Gardener was a Mr Harbour. Again, the address on the census is simply Great Waltham. The enumerator's list gives no clue as to the location of any of the private houses. Very frustrating

ausiejude

Thanks very much to you both, will check out those references and see where I get. Appreciate everything

Jude

Re the article about Isaac retiring age 75, his successor was a "Mr Bishop, Chevening Sevenoaks".

The 1891 Census (ref RG12 1388 27 23) has Henry Bishop, Gardener Domestic, address simply "Village", Great Waltham. (1881 Census ref RG11 905 93 29).

On the same page as Henry in '91 is "Minnow End" and "The Rose and Crown". At #6 above it mentions a later head gardener living close to the Rose and Crown at Cherry Trees Cottage. If the accommodation went with the job, possibility that Isaac was at Cherry Trees?

Correction - think it's "Minor End" rather than "Minnow End"? There is a Minnow End near Great Waltham but have checked Old Maps and Minor End it would appear to be. Langley estate was close by.

ausiejude

Thanks again, it is much appreciated. Yesterday I went to the maps of England but couldn't make any headway in Great Waltham, so must try again. the references that I put in, couldn't locate either the Rose and Crown or Cherry Tree Cottages but must have another try. I also couldn't find the paper that said that my great grandfather had retired, so must try again for that. Sadly I never met my grandfather, Isaac's youngest son, Norman, as he died when my Dad was only 14. The Isaac Ellis Ives that you found was my great uncle, I had found out a bit about him, and there are certain monuments to him in Sydney. Thanks again,
    Regards,
    Judy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast