Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I stumbled upon these posts with interest while researching my family, so joined the forum in order to contribute. I started researching my family a year ago or so, helped by various family documents and letters passed down through the generations. My maternal grandmother was a Hutchinson and it had always been mentioned that we have connections to Colonel John Hutchinson. This was investigated by my great Grandfather, George Ross Hutchinson and his cousin, and I have copies of their correspondence. I have no doubt that the connection is there and is potentially very direct but there is a missing link. They also in their correspondence refer to someone in the family having the family pictures and Owthorpe furniture and express concern that this should remain in the family, given that the person in possession had no offspring. My great great great grandfather Scrope Hutchinson and all his siblings were born in Southwell, Notts, to Nicholas Hutchinson (born 1733), son of Richard Hutchinson (born 1699). They alleged that Richard was the son of John and grandson of Colonel John but had no concrete evidence. I am keen to see whether this link can be established and intend to view the parish records, although I'm not convinced I will be able to learn anything from them! At any rate, there has to be a reasonably close link to the Owthorpe Hutchinsons! Any suggestions gratefully received!

Eric Atkin

Default Col John Hutchinson.Reference to your post,

I suggest you read Lucy Hutchinson Memoirs, then follow the line backwards. Thanks

David Bate

Dear Anne

So far as the Owthorpe (Nottinghamshire) connection is concerned, which is largely the focus of my interest, there are two branches of the Hutchinson family that have to be considered. Firstly there are the descendants of Colonel John Hutchinson (1615-1664), whose mother was a Byron; and secondly there are the descendants of his younger half brother, Charles, whose mother was a Stanhope. The first branch did not fare well after the Restoration of Charles II, whereas the second branch flourished.

The first edition of Lucy Hutchinson’s Memoirs was edited by the Rev. Julius Hutchinson (a descendant of the Stanhope branch) and published in 1806. This edition, and probably subsequent editions of 1808, 1810 and 1822, includes a pedigree of the Hutchinson family ‘taken from a very handsome emblazoned genealogy in the possession of the editor, originally traced by Henry St. George, King of Arms, and continued and embellished by Thomas Brand, Esq. his majesty’s writer and embellisher of letters to the eastern princess, anno 1712.’

In his preface, Julius states the following:
    ‘This pedigree shews that Col. Hutchinson left four sons [not to mention daughters], of which the youngest only, John, left issue two sons; and there is a tradition in the family, that these two last descendants of Col. Hutchinson emigrated, the one to the West Indies or America, the other to Russia; the latter is said to have gone out with the command of a ship of war given by Queen Anne to the Czar Peter, and to have been lost at sea. One of the female descendants of the former the editor once met with by accident at Portsmouth, and she spoke with great warmth of the veneration in which his descendants in the new world held the memory of their ancestor Col. Hutchinson. Of the daughters little more is known than that Mrs. Hutchinson, addressing one of her books of devotion to her daughter Mrs. Orgill, ascertains that one of them was married to a gentleman of that name.’

I have a copy of the Memoirs that was formerly in the possession of descendants of the Hutchinson family (on the Stanhope side). This copy was given in 1899 to a John Hutchinson by his uncle, Major General A. H. Hutchinson, of Owthorpe, Bournemouth (it would be interesting to know if a house called ‘Owthorpe’ still exists at Bournemouth). In this copy there are some pencilled additions to the descendants of John and Lucy Hutchinson. Thus the printed pedigree shows the last surviving son of Col. Hutchinson, John, to have married ‘A daughter of .... Morgan, of Wales’ and to have had ‘Issue two sons’. The pencilled addition indicates that one of these two sons, John (he who went to America), married Mary Markham, the daughter of Benjamin Markham, and had issue [Sarah?], Mary and Benjamin, the last-named of whom is recorded by the annotator as having died in 1735. Whether the Hutchinson name survived after Benjamin is not recorded.

Concerning the Stanhope branch of the family, Julius has the following to say:
    ‘Charles Hutchinson, only son of Sir Thomas Hutchinson by Lady Catharine Stanhope, married one of the daughters and coheiresses of Sir Francis Boteler, of Hatfield Woodhall, Herts; which family being zealous royalists, and he solicitous to gain their favour, (which he did so effectually, as in the end to obtain nearly their whole inheritance), it is probable that he gave small encouragement or assistance to the elder branch of the family while they suffered for their republican sentiments; on the contrary, it is certain that he purchased of Mrs. Hutchinson and her son, after the death of Col. Hutchinson, their estate at Owthorpe, which joined to what his father had given him, and what he obtained by his marriage, raised him to more opulence than his father had ever possessed; and he seems not to have fallen short of him in popularity, for he represented the towne of Nottingham in parliament from the year 1690, (being the first general election after the accession of King William), till his death.
    His son Julius returned into that line of conduct and connections which was most natural for one of his descent, for he married Betty Norton, descended by the father’s side from the patriotic family of that name in Hampshire, and by the mother’s from the Fiennes’s. He seems to have bestowed a very rational and well-deserved attention upon the writings of Mrs. Hutchinson, and there is a tradition in the family, that although he had many children of his own, he treated with kindness and liberality the last descendants of his uncle, and assisted them with money to fit them out for their emigration. The editor has seen a written memorandum of his, expressing his regret at hearing no more of them after their departure.
    From the circumstances of these, the only grandchildren of Col. Hutchinson, standing in need of this pecuniary assistance, from the mention Mrs. Hutchinson makes of her husband’s debts, and from an expression contained in that book which she addresses to her daughter Mrs. Orgill, desiring her not to despise her advice though she sees her in adversity, it is highly probable that, even after selling her husband’s estates, the sum to be divided left each member of the family in strait circumstances.’

The Rev Julius Hutchinson (editor of the Memoirs) visited Owthorpe Hall (Notts) in about 1775, shortly after the estate was purchased by Sir George Bromley, and was invited to remove a number of pictures and books. So far as furniture from Owthorpe is concerned, there is an undated (early 20th century) letter inserted into a copy of the Memoirs in the Local Studies Library in Nottingham, from the Rev. F. E. Hutchinson of Tisbury Vicarage, Salisbury, which briefly records his possession of ‘Various pictures ... furniture belonging to Col. Hutchinson’. Other items recorded at Tisbury relate to the Boteler family noted above. Two of the most famous portraits (of Col. John and Lucy Hutchinson) removed by Julius from Owthorpe Hall are still preserved and are in private hands. They were engraved for the Memoirs and have featured on book covers in recent times.

The John Hutchinson who was the former possessor of the copy of the Memoirs in my possession was a colonel in the first two to three decades of the 20th century ― thus a second Col. John Hutchinson! Nottingham Archives holds papers relating to this later Col. John Hutchinson, and numerous other Hutchinsons for that matter (at least, according to its Person’s Index card catalogue).

The pedigree that accompanies the early editions of the Memoirs takes the Hutchinson line back to 1282 but does not record the Southwell branch mentioned by you. However, one of the endpapers in my copy of the Memoirs carries a pencilled genealogical succession, the significance of which had been unclear to me, but it obviously relates to your branch of the family. It runs as follows (the slashes indicate line breaks): Jeremy / St John 1942 / Charles 1910 DR Knowle Mayfield / Richard Scholes 1858 DR Southwell Notts / Benjamin 1821 Byron DR Southwell Notts / Nicolas (d) 1798 (b) 1731 Southwell.

Hope this helps.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Eric - many thanks for your reply; my brother has a copy of the book and I am looking forward to getting it myself!

David - many thanks for all your information, which is really interesting. It seems that the descendants of Colonel John are a little unclear, which is perhaps not really surprising! I had gleaned from a copy of the tree in the memoirs that his son John had married a daughter of Morgan of Wales and that there were 2 sons, as you say. You mention about one son, John, marrying Mary Markham – were the Markhams American I wonder? Some of my ancestors in their correspondence seemed a little sceptical of emigration theories – these were merely convenient for a family ‘in hiding’.

Your penciled additions to the memoirs are interesting, and certainly do relate to my branch of the family. Jeremy is the Baron of Lullington (living – age 96), his father St John Hutchinson was referred to in a letter I have from Margaret Hutchinson (cousin of Charles below), dated 1919 – “St John has all the family pictures and Owthorpe furniture and we hear his old-fashioned house in Hammersmith looks very charming”. St John’s father was Charles Frederick Hutchinson, son of Richard Scholes Hutchinson, son of Benjamin, son of Nicolas, as per your penciled additions. Nicolas had 12 children, the youngest of whom was my great great great grandfather Scrope; many of the siblings of Benjamin and Scrope died young. My ancestors seemed to believe that Nicolas was the son of Richard (born 1699), but I cannot be certain of this; as I mentioned before, they also thought that Richard could be the grandson of Colonel John. Is there any indication of the connection of Nicolas in your penciled additions, I wonder. One other interesting thing is that the name Scrope runs through the descendants of Nicolas, with it featuring as a middle name in many; Nicolas himself married Elizabeth Clay, but I sense that somewhere up the line, a Hutchinson possibly married a Scrope. When I googled the name Scrope, I found that another regicide was Colonel Adrian Scrope – a coincidence or connection? I’ve drawn a bit of a blank with Colonel Adrian’s descendants.

Anyway, I shall be continuing in my endeavours to link up Nicolas (possibly son of Richard) and any further information is of course welcome!

Many thanks again,
    Anne

royhutch

Default Col. John Hutchinson, Owthorpe

Dear David,
    Thank you very much for your extensive response. I have a project member whose Hutchinson family tree descends from Miss Morgan.

This family was quite successful in South Carolina, USA with a plantation including over 250 slaves. Other names included in this line are Colonel William Skirving and his wife Mary Sacheverell b. 1750 d. 1768. One of the descendants named their daughter Lucy Aspley Hutchinson in the 1700's.

I am very interested in locating a descendant of the brother of the Col. John Hutchinson from the Stanhope branch.

Your thoughts on this branch in South Carolina would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
    Roy Hutchinson

1 John Hutchinson b: 1648 in Owthorpe
    .... +Miss Morgan of Wales b: 1650
    ..... 2 Dr. John Hutchinson b: Abt. 1673 d: 1729 in Charleston, SC
    ........... +Mary d: December 28, 1711
    ............ 3 John Hutchinson b: Abt. 1710
    ............ 3 Sophia Hutchinson d: Abt. January 18, 1713
    ..... *2nd Wife of Dr. John Hutchinson:
    ........... +Anne (widow Holland)
    ............ 3 Colonel Thomas Hutchinson b: November 13, 1720 d: December 10, 1790
    .................. +? (possibly) Corwin
    ................... 4 Colonel Mathias Hutchinson b: 1746 d: June 15, 1812 in Traveler's Rest Plantation, SC
    ......................... +Jane Perdran b: Abt. 1753 d: 1775
    .......................... 5 Mathias Hutchinson b: August 25, 1770 d: October 22, 1770
    .......................... 5 Thomas Hutchinson b: November 14, 1771 d: August 25, 1808
    .......................... 5 Esther Hutchinson b: October 2, 1773 d: September 20, 1798
    ................... *2nd Wife of Colonel Mathias Hutchinson:
    ......................... +Elizabeth Branford b: Abt. 1695 d: December 8, 1785
    .......................... 5 Jane Elizabeth Hutchinson b: November 8, 1785 d: April 14, 1806
    ................... *3rd Wife of Colonel Mathias Hutchinson:
    ......................... +Louisa Postel Tucker b: February 21, 1755 d: May 14, 1797

Eric Atkin

Subject:- Alexander H Hutchinson Born 1833 Nottingham England

See 1841 England Census Entered as Alfred, but corrected as an update to Alexander on Ancestry.com

See 1861 Officer at Woolwich

See 1891 At " Owthorpe" in Bournemouth

See 1901 In Bath

See 1903 GRO's for death at Ross on Wye

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Eric and David,

I had searched Owthorpe Bournemouth on the internet and realized that it does still exist. Thank you Eric for the records for AH Hutchinson – I have located him on my family tree, but I didn’t have all his records attached and had not realized he lived at Owthorpe Bournemouth. Alexander Hadden Hutchinson is my 2nd cousin, 3x removed – his brother is Charles and his father is Richard Scholes Hutchinson, as per the penciled additions in David’s copy of the memoirs. There is one nephew John (to whom the book was given) that I know of but I thought he was born and raised in Australia so I’m not sure that he is the Colonel John Hutchinson that had possession of the book – I’ll have to look into that one. Anyway, the book appears to have definitely come down through my line of the family, so am I to assume that I am from the Stanhope side (as David mentions that the book was in the possession of the Stanhope side)? I guess what I am asking David is whether he has anything that connects up Alexander Hutchinson and his nephew John with their ancestors beyond Richard Scholes / son of Benjamin / son of Nicolas? I look forward to any further information!

Thank you and best wishes,
    Anne

Default Thomas Hutchinson...lost at sea 1715

Hi!
    I am trying to find information about Thomas Hutchinson that was lost at sea on a ship belonging to the Russian tsar Peter the Great in 1715.

The ships name was the Royal Transport and it was lost outside Gothenburg, Sweden, in September 1715.

More information is available on my website:
    www.davyjoneslocker.se

To get the story about the Royal Transport more complete I am looking for information as to why Thomas Hutchinson ended up serving as a commander on the Russian tsars favorite ship. Why he decided to stay the rest of his life in Gothenburg, Sweden, until his death in 1743.

Thanks
    Jan Fredriksson

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I'm interested in the Hutchinson family in Nottinghamshire in the eighteenth century, specifically in tracing a daughter, Susanna. She would probably have been born between about 1735 and 1750 and was still alive in about 1765.
    Has anyone come across her, either as a descendant of Colonel Hutchinson or as a member of another family of landed gentry still living in the county at that time?

Welcome to British Genealogy, imsimj.
    I assume that you have realised how old this thread is? Most of the contributers made a couple of posts and haven't been back. Since Hutchinson is not a rare name, I suggest that you start your own thread about your family (I or one of the other Mods can easily move your post above to it).

What else do you know about Susanna? Why do you think she came from landed gentry? Where was their estate?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast