apowell

Default Caer Howell family home

Hi,

I'm attempting to research my Powell family ancestors which has proved most difficult given the Welsh surname of ap etc. I believe I maybe related to the Powells of the Bank in Castlewright, Montgomeryshire.

I found a pedigree entitled the Powells of Ednop when at Castlewright (source: Collections, historical & archaeological relating to Montgomeryshire- Vol. 37 1915-History of the parish of Mainstone). In this brief pedigree it lists John Powell Gent of Castlewright died 1670 and his ancestors settled in Canada. William Dummer Powell (ancestor) built Caer Howell country home reflecting the Welsh origins of the family.

My question is does anyone know about Caer Howell mentioned in Montgomeryshire and importantly the family who resided.

I fully understand that this information may well be false but would like to find out one way or the other.

Any help would be fantastic.

Kind regards
    Adrian Powell

pdf. file https://archive.org/details/pedigreesofmontg00rode
    Cannot see reference to "Caer Howell" but Powells and Endop mentioned (plenty of patronymics!!)

Re "Caer Howell" the owner at the beginning of the 19th century was a William Pugh, his son was Sherrif of Montgomery 1813. Earliest reference I can find at this point.

"Caer Howell, Montgomery" was advertised for sale in The Times, Oct 3 1829, with a description of the estate.

p.s (the abbreviation "vrch" = daughter)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co...all-montgomery

Includes description of house and for whom (possibly) built. The Harrisons were certainly at Caerhowel - the Times reported the death of a Robert John Harrison, Caerhowel, Mar 19, 1844.

William Pugh, jun , was married Jun 1816, and was described as "of Caerhowel".

Yet to fit any Powells to Caerhowel (house or region)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Caer Howell and William Dummer Powell

Quote Originally Posted by apowell View Post
    Hi,

I'm attempting to research my Powell family ancestors which has proved most difficult given the Welsh surname of ap etc. I believe I maybe related to the Powells of the Bank in Castlewright, Montgomeryshire.

I found a pedigree entitled the Powells of Ednop when at Castlewright (source: Collections, historical & archaeological relating to Montgomeryshire- Vol. 37 1915-History of the parish of Mainstone). In this brief pedigree it lists John Powell Gent of Castlewright died 1670 and his ancestors settled in Canada. William Dummer Powell (ancestor) built Caer Howell country home reflecting the Welsh origins of the family.

My question is does anyone know about Caer Howell mentioned in Montgomeryshire and importantly the family who resided.

I fully understand that this information may well be false but would like to find out one way or the other.

Any help would be fantastic.

Kind regards
    Adrian Powell
    Hi Adrian
    Sorry I can't help you with Caer Howell and The Bank (looking for this also) but I am curious as to how you are related to William Dummer Powell, my 4Xgreat-grandfather through his son William Dummer Powell m. Sarah Stevenson. I can be found on Ancestry through the tree "Jarvis of Toronto ..." I would love to hear from you.