Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    shume

Default John Smith Abbott, Solicitor, Dublin

I am looking for information on John Smith Abbott who was a solicitor in Dublin b/n 1840 and 1852. He married 1840 Arabella Barnes (1814 - 1895) at St Peter C of I (witness Wm Abbott/ Caleb Barnes). Searching Irish newspapers on line has only resulted in some court cases listing him as the solicitor; no personal notices.
    I suspect Wm Abbott the witness would have been his father/brother as his sister's marriage in 1842 in Dublin gives the witness as John Abbott, so their father could be deceased by this time.
    His practice was known as Abbott and Moore and I'm wondering if John Moore Abbott who was also a solicitor was his son.

I don't think John Moore Abbott was his son as according to the Dublin Probate Record and Marriage Licence Index John Smith Abbott and Arabella Barnes married 1840 (which you have) and John Moore Abbott and Mary Ann Sankey married 1844.
    Of course it would work if John S A was marrying for the second time in 1840 and John M A was from a first marriage.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Pettigrew and Oulton's Dublin directory 1841
    1841 Attorneys Dublin
    Q= Queens Bench, C = Common Pleas, E = Exchequer

William Burroughs

From Papers Past NZ

Auckland Star 16 April 1881, Page 2

William Burroughs

The Dublin Evening Mail marriage notice, Fri 4 Aug 1840, of John S Abbott to Arabella Barnes describes John as "... second son of the late William Abbott, of Baggott Street, Solicitor ...".
    John's sister, Anne, "second daughter of the late William Abbott, Esq, of this city, Solicitor" married William Purdue, June 2nd 1842
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by shume View Post
    Searching Irish newspapers on line has only resulted in some court cases listing him as the solicitor; no personal notices
    The Cork Examiner, 30 May1853, has a death notice for a John Smith Abbott, age 38, of Baymount, Booterstown

shume

Thank you everyone: I have a church record for JS Abbott's marriage in 1840 witnessed by a Wm Abbott, so if the Dublin Evening Mail is correct, this Wm, has to be his brother not his father. Also Pettigrews 1841 has John and Wm Abbott, solicitors, so can assume they were brothers.
    I have Anne Abbott m Purdue: my interest is another sister Jane who m. 1842 Wm Elliott Shaw ( and hence our family)

Do you have access to Freeman's Journal? In Jan 1830 it reported at length (3/4 articles) on the case of Ann Abbott (widow of Wm Abbott, deceased) v The Alliance Insurance Co. "Wm Abbott, deceased" was an attorney (12th January edition).

I can find mention of William Abbott at 11 Baggott St in Nov 1827 but nothing after that.

shume

Thanks.. I've found that case and hoped it was him. I found he died in 1828, widow Ann nee Smith lived until 1841 at Mount Pleasant.
    Now have 5 chn to John Smith Abbott, and his widow Arabella lived at Rutland House until her death in 1895.
    Have also found Admissions to Kings Inn listing John S and William Abbott as sons ( of Wm and) Anne Smith.
    We have family myth that the chn of his sister visited the " big house" ie Rutland House so its all fitting together.
    So much progress in a few days!!

New Zealand Notices of Deceased Estates 1880-1950
    John Moore Abbott
    Death Date - 14 Apr 1881
    Residence - Hokianga, New Zealand
    Under the Charge of the Public Trustee for Management
    Estimated value of estate under 500 pounds

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast