Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    John Luty

Default Attestation Records

I have found a family member (I think) who was killed in WW1 and it lists him as being in the Coldstream Guards, yet I cannot find any enlistment record for him, so my questions are

Would he have enlisted straight into the Coldstream Guards and where might I find records of enlistment

Many thanks

John

Reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at the National Archives guidance? See in particular the paragraph headed "Records of Guards regiments". There's a link.

Records are incomplete as a result of enemy action in WW2 (a different raid from the one affecting non-Guards records).

John Luty

Thanks Peter, looks like I need to write to the RHQ

Reputation beyond repute

I think this is the address -

The Regimental Archivist, H.Q. Grenadier/Coldstream/Scots/Irish/Welsh Guards, Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk, London, SW1E 6HQ.

On the matter of completeness there are two stories

The National Archives says "First World War service records for soldiers and non-commissioned officers in the Household Cavalry and the Guards regiments, which were not stored at Arnside Street, have survived in their entirety.

But elsewhere TNA say "Some of these records were destroyed by enemy bombing whilst stored in the Guards chapel during the Second World war."

I think the second version is true.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Have you checked the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's web site? Civilians killed during bombings are also listed. Some entries have comments about family relationships.
    ChristineR

John Luty

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post
    Have you checked the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's web site? Civilians killed during bombings are also listed. Some entries have comments about family relationships.
    Hi Christine,
    Thanks for the response it was on the CWGC website where I found his death, but it does not show any next of kin which is what I'm hoping to find on his enlistment papers, thanks again

Regards

John

Reputation beyond repute

1. I assume you got this from the CWGC site.

2. As you didn't specify, it was assumed that he was not an officer. If he was an officer, different considerations apply. See the guidance

oliveworrell

Hi John,

Was looking for the same information myself for my relative lost in WW1, did you have any luck locating the info you needed?

Olive

Reputation beyond repute

did you have any luck locating the info you needed?
    The discussion was less than two weeks ago so John won't have received anything yet from the Guards Archives.

Do I take it that you are also looking for the service record of a soldier in WW1 in the Coldstream Guards? If so I would advise you to follow the advice in this thread.

oliveworrell

Hi Peter, thanks so much for your prompt reply, I believe Nicholas Cullen (according to info on website) was with the Irish Guards, from Dublin, according to family info. he was killed en-route to France on troop ship, no idea where or when but according to info. on War Forces site, he may have died on 18/5/15 but as there are a few of the same name, I just need more background info. to be sure that he is one and the same, enlistment papers would probably show his parents name and address which I have but very little else but he was about 21 years old at the start of WW1, unfortunately, all my family who would have first hand account of this have passed away so its now down to hearsay, I was hoping to access the above info. on line as I live in Dublin and Kew would be a bit further away unless I make the trip specifically. Thanks again for your interest. Olive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast