Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Starting to feel at home

Re #9. Sorry, I meant to say that Watkin Watkins's will was signed on 9 February 1843, just 12 days before his death on the 21st.

I still think 2/6d to be a strange sum. Other farmers in a similar era and similar economic circumstances gave their married daughters a £1 or so, if they could. Half a crown seems rather odd, unless that's really all they had to spare for someone outside the immediate household?

janbooth

Great find, William, so that at least confirms the WATKINS side of the family. Perhaps Dinah had already been given a marriage portion and as you say the 2s 6d was just a token amount. Good luck with your Jones family!

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 28-04-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Extra text

Starting to feel at home

Lightbulb

The David Watkins with whom Watkin Watkins is later buried is named David Jones in the Llandysul burial register. This is strange as the MI is specific: "David WATKINS, Darrenfawr, plwyf Llandissiliogogo, bu farw Mai 29 1837 yn 24 oed. Watkin WATKINS, Dad y rhagddywededig David WATKINS, bu farw Chwefror 21 1843 yn 61 oed [Verse begins: 'Mae yma dad mewn ...']".

To add to the mystery, a John Jones from Darren-fawr, Llandysilio is listed in the burial register for 9 Jun 1838, aged 9 months. No MI exists for him.

Could this John have been the first-born son of Evan and Dinah Jones, I wonder? They married on 15 Jun 1837, but their other unmarried children are buried with them at Pantydefaid Unitarian Cemetary, viz. Evan, 21 Mar 1859 (6); David, 21 Mar 1859 (12); John, 23 Jul 1860 (21); Hannah, 8 Jan 1876 (20).

I find it unlikely that John †1838 was the son of David Jones/Watkins †1837, as he would have been buried with his father and grandfather.

In which case, it would further enhance my initial theory that Evan Jones was the son of a John. Conjecture: Dinah was already carrying Evan's child when they married in June 1837 a fortnight after her (half-?)brother's funeral. John #1 was born in around September 1837 and died around 7 Jun 1838. John #2 was born in 1839 and died 23 Jul 1860.

I have found a baptism for an Evan, son of John EVAN, Blancaffel [Blaencefel] in Llandysul on 4 Oct 1812. (No mother is listed in this record, although they are given for other baptisms in this period.)

Now, this might be unremarkable, except for the fact that right next door to Evan and Dinah Jones's grave is that of one Rees Jones, Blaencefel, who died 12 Mar 1865, aged 54 (born c. 1810/1). One of their children, named Thomas, died 12 Apr 1926, aged 77 (born 1848/9).

Frustration warning: there are appear to be two leaves missing from the Llandysul baptism register as the entries jump from 31 Mar 1811 to 4 Aug 1812. There are BTs from 1811 which I still have to check.

Since conjecture and supposition are all I have to go on, I am having to bring together a narrative account of my 3rd-great-grandfather's origins.

As usual, all information is gratefully received!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12