Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Indigo_Child

Question MicroFICHE reader to microFILM reader?

Anyone online ever tried to remodel a microFICHE reader so that it can read microFILM as well? I have a microfiche reader and saw some photos online showing what a microFILM reader looks like. I'm the eternal optimist so I figure there's a way to put spools on the side of the microfiche reader so that microfilm can be threaded through.

Anyone experimented with this? A few years ago I found an Internet site which gave some very basic directions but can't find it now or the "safe" place I noted the URL!!

Thanks.

Famous for offering help & advice

I have a fiche reader (Eyecom 1200) for which you can/could get a separate attachment for viewing microfilms. You have to remove the glass fiche holder, then fit the film holder instead. I don't know if any other readers have this facility - and it wasn't cheap....

If you're going down the DIY route, exactly how you do it may depend on what machine you have, and the shape of the glass fiche holder and any edging it may have. The last thing you'll want to do is run film over a metal edge and scratch it.

Arthur

Indigo_Child

Duh-h-h....! I never thought of checking if Bell & Howell might have an attachment of some sort!! This is an old clunker (B & H model ARB VIII) that I picked up at a yard sale for $10 CDN so it's worth experimenting.

Thanks for the warning about the glass fiche holder. It's rectangular but has nice plastic edges to it. If I actually refit it I might put some flannel furniture floor protectors along the edge so the film won't get scratched. Off to check if there is a converting holder for B & H!!

Indigo_Child

Another question here. Are the microfilms 35mm? It's been so long that I've gone to the LDS centre in the nearest city that I can't remember!

There's actually a US patent for something along the lines that I was looking for but haven't been able to find if the inventor actually took it to market.

And THEN there was an archived post on rootsweb.ancestry.com where a chap (Loring Hutchinson from somewhere in Texas north of Dallas)) mentioned he'd done this before and just email him for directions but alas, his email didn't work! No wonder though because he posted this in February of 2000! Don't know about anyone else, but I've been through SEVERAL different ISP providers since 2000 so no one would be able to find me using one of those old email addresses!!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The good news is that some of the films at the LDS are 35mm.
    The bad news is that some are 16mm.

I know the London FHC had a list of which films were which (it might be as simple as 6-number ones were one type and the 7-number ones another), but I truly can't remember. I know the FHCs have readers for both types of film.

Pam

Indigo_Child

Groan..... I knew it couldn't be easy!! I'll go to FHC and see if by some stroke of luck, the microfilms for the part of Devon I need are one or the other. Otherwise I'll have to tweak the plan I had and get both 35mm AND 16mm reels. It'll probably end up being one of those DIY that cost a bundle after all the parts are bought!

Reputation beyond repute

I'll go to FHC and see if by some stroke of luck, the microfilms for the part of Devon I need are one or the other.
    That information is in the catalogue under "Physical"

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    That information is in the catalogue under "Physical"
    Thank you Peter.
    That will teach me to read down the page instead of just skipping to 'view film notes'.

Pam

Knowledgeable and helpful

It is easier to convert a microfilm reader to a microfiche reader than the opposite way round.

Microfilm readers normally have a variety of lenses to allow for different levels of magnification and a prism or other arrangement to turn the image from vertical to horizontal on the screen (some images are orientated horizontal whilst others are vertical).

A microfiche reader will often have a high magnification lens which will not suit microfilm as the image will be too big to fit on the screen and will need scrolling to view.

Physically the changes required are little more than adding two spools either side of the aperture, but the additional extras to make it work reasonably well are quite demanding.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Indigo_Child

Thank you! I checked last night and WHEN listed the films I need seem to be 35mm. However, after reading Guy's post below, I'll have to give it more thought. I got an inkling yesterday about the need for different lenses for microfilm so will have to think things through. I'm a great DIY-er though and love a challenge!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast