Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default ANN LION(S), BARNET LEVY and SAMUEL ISAACS

I've previously [see ISAACS - LEVY - GARCIA] posted on Ann (c. 1768-1853), wife of a Mr Levy, then of Samuel Isaacs, orange merchant, of New Street, Covent Garden. She has a large number of descendants, mostly through her children by her first husband, who were:

- Ann Levy/Isaacs, 1805-1877, the wife of Samuel Isaacs, picture dealer, of 131 Regent Street and of Bedford Square.

- Isaac Levy Isaacs, 1807-1872; married Jane Head.

- Israel Levy Isaacs, 1807-1852, a general dealer; married Hannah Garcia.

She also had a daughter Emma (b.c. 1816), wife of Abraham Garcia, who was called "illegitimate" by her probable half-brother Isaac in an acrimonious Chancery case, so was apparently not the daughter of Mr Levy, but may have been the daughter of Samuel Isaacs, a large part of whose estate she seems to have ultimately inherited.

I can’t find birth records for any of the children of Ann (d. 1853) — who were all born in London, according to census records — or any marriage for Ann to Samuel Isaacs.

Attempting to establish the identity of Ann (d. 1853), I've found only two records of marriages of an Ann to a Mr Levy in the relevant timeframe at the Synagogue Scribes website:

1) Barnet Levy (Hebrew name, Farleh) married Ann Lions at the Great Synagogue on June 15 1796. Barnet's father's (Hebrew) name was Abraham Levi and Ann was the daughter of (Hebrew) Mendele Peller or Feller.

This Barnet — his Hebrew name and father’s name match — was buried on 3 February 1813, and his last address was the Jews’ Hospital, Bethnal Green.

2) Marks Levy (Yehuda Gentshausen) married Ann Jacobs at the Great Synagogue on April 11 1804. Ann was the daughter of (Hebrew name) Marem Reichenberg.

This Marks Levy seems to be different to the Mark Levy (d. 1812) mentioned in a previous thread.

If either of these Ann’s is “our” Ann I think it is more likely to be the first as she was born around 1768 so would have been marrying in her late 20s rather than at around 36, and this seems a more likely age for a first marriage. Barnet also dies at the right time (1813) to explain how Ann’s daughter Emma (born c. 1816) had a different father to the three children born in 1805 and 1807.

In summary, Ann Lions would have married Barnet Levy and had Ann, Isaac and Israel — at some point after Barnet’s death, and by the early 1820s if not before, she married Samuel Isaacs (or just lived with him and was considered his wife); her probable illegitimate daughter, Emma, would have been born after Barnet's death but before her marriage (if there was one) to Samuel Isaacs.

This is all very conjectural and other documents may prove that Ann was in fact the Ann Jacobs who married Marks Levy, or another Ann entirely. Points against Ann being Ann Lions include the long gap between the marriage of Barnet Levy and Ann Lions in 1796 and the birth of Ann Levy, the eldest known child of Ann (d. 1853) and Mr Levy, in 1805.

Nevertheless, one of Anne Lions’ brothers, Joseph, married a Mary Fano; and Ann (d. 1853) — who I’m guessing may have been this Ann Lions, was left a mourning ring as a “friend” by a Hannah Capua, nee Fano, who was the sister of the same Mary Fano/Lyons. See Hannah's will summary at Synagogue Scribes.

Ann (d. 1853) is known from the Chancery documents to have been an aunt of Hannah Mendes, who married Samuel Nathan, a picture dealer; if she (Ann) was Ann Lions then she must have had a sister who married David Mendes, Hannah’s father. She could on the other hand have been a sister of David's, i.e. born a Mendes.

I'd be very interested in other people's views on this possible Lions/Levy connection or any further info on Barnet Levy (d. 1813) and/or the Lion(s)/Lyon(s) a.k.a. Feller/Peller family.

In the next message, I will post an outline of Ann's possible family.

Best wishes,

Mark

Starting to feel at home

Here (apologies for the mix of English and Hebrew names) is a quick possible reconstruction of Ann's immediate tree, with data from Synagogue Scribes:

Leib Piller (or Peller/Feller), m. unknown and had:

i) Shmuel ben Leib Peller/Feller, m. Ryla and had:

a) Isaac, b. May 1802

ii) Mendele Peller/Feller, whose English surname was Lion(s) or Lyon(s) (d. 1809) m. unknown and had:

a) Joseph Lyon, m. 17 Jun 1795, Mary/Malka Fano, daughter of Isaac.
    [their dau. Abigail m. Mark Cohen, 1820]
    b) Levy/Leib Lion, m. 26 Aug 1795, Rachel/Rekla Emanuel, daughter of Moshe.
    c) ANN/Yenta LIONS, m. (1) 15 Jun 1796, BARNET LEVY, son of Abraham Levi, (2) (?) SAMUEL ISAACS.
    d) Mordecai Lion, m. 1798, Betsy/Breindla Lewis, daughter of Moshe.
    e) Myer/Meir Lion, m. 4 Jul 1810 Hannah Hyams, daughter of Shmuel.
    f) (?) Sarah or Rebecca, m. David Mendes.

iii) Molly/Malka Lion, m. 10 Jan 1798, Moses Cohen [her father is just given as Leib, without the Peller/Feller so she may not be a relative]

iv) (?) [I can't find his father's name] Saul Peller/Feller, m. and had:

a) Kitty, m. 1800/1801 Lazarus Jacobs
    b) Lyon/Leib Lyons, m. 8 Aug 1803 Elizabeth/Pessa Isaacs, daughter of Shmuel
    c) Abigail/Chava Lion, m. 20 Jun 1810 Samuel/Simon Simmons, son of Moshe
    d) Nancy/Yenta Lyon, m. 6 Nov 1816, Lazarus Jacobs, son of Reuben
    e) Reuben Joseph Lyon, m. 11 Feb 1819, Abigail Hyams, daughter of Chaim.
    f) Lewis/Yehuda Leib Lyon, m. 13 May 1819, Sarah Elias, daughter of Aharon.

Mark
    To narrow your research down if possible you can see the Capua relationships to "my" Jacobs lines on the thread " Mark Levy- widower died 1812" and also on the Jacobs tree website. The will of Mordecai Capua see also Synagogue Scribes site NA 068 is on the Jacobs tree website together with the marriage of Jacobs/Capua.
    I also have Lion/Lyons marriage to Levey/Levy who relate to one of my Hart lines but cannot trace the Lyons/Lion/Levey back pre 1838. Lewis Pesman adopted Capua based on his mother's maiden name if my memory is correct.
    Phillip

Mark
    Looking at several online family trees of the Mendes/Lyons there is a marriage between Rachel Mendes and Henry Lyons 1821-1858. Rachel was the daughter of Jacob/John Mendes and Charlotte Habiliho. Jacob being the son of David Mendes/Rebecca. Looking at the Capua will extracts online there are also Lyons references. These maybe 'long shots' in tracking down Anne but worth a closer look.
    Phillip

Starting to feel at home

Looking at Dutch Jewish records, the Piller/Peller family appear to all descend from one man, Mendele Pila Melamed, apparently a scholar/teacher from the Polish town of Pila who settled in Amsterdam in the early 18th century.

The Leib Piller mentioned above, ancestor of a British Lion(s)/Lyon(s) family, could be Leib ben Mendele Piller, who was a son of the Polish scholar, born in Vlotho (Germany) in 1714. Leib married Judith Rudelsum in Amsterdam in 1737. I can only see the birth of one son Meyer/Marcus (in Aug 1748) in the Dutch records; but wonder whether the Mendele son of a Leib Piller who died in London in 1809 (and other apparent siblings in London) were also his children. The dates fit and it's an unusual surname. If so, it would be an interesting example of the migration of one family from Poland to Amsterdam via Germany, then on to London.

There are lots of mentions of the Pila/Peller family at Dutchjewry.org and elsewhere online, but I haven't looked into this in detail.

Mark

Justin1837

Hi all, stumbled upon this thread from a Google search for Saul Peller, am 99% sure that Reuben Joseph Lyon is my Gt Gt Gt grandfather as his son Hyam is my Gt Gt grandfather and his son Solomon is my Gt grandfather and his son Abraham is my grandfather. Interesting to see the link to Europe as well, wondered when and where my family came from originally.
    Thanks for some interesting info, am new to this forum so will no doubt spend the next few weeks looking around, have been doing the family history for a while too, mildly addictive to say the least!

Regards
    Justin

A real shame, this thread has some good links to my family, just my luck that it's dead and the people posting on it are no longer around. I tried the dutchjewry site and couldn't find most of the people mentioned in this thread on there. Have also had to re-register to post this as my previous account was barred from doing so for some reason.

If someone reading this can assist with finding more info about Peller's etc, do get in touch!

Regards
    Justin

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Mark,

Thanks for all this info on my ancestors.

Samuel Isaacs (1792-1877) and his wife Ann Levy (1805-1877) are my 3x great-grandparents.

I have been grappling with the fact that Ann's mother, also called Ann, seems to have been married to another Samuel Isaacs, but also seems to have been married before to a Mr Levy, or her maiden name was Levy.

This seems to make sense with the names of her children: Ann Levy, Israel Levy Isaacs and Isaac Levy Isaacs.

I like your theory that Mr Barnet Levy, who died in 1813, could be the mysterious Mr Levy.

Samuel and Ann Isaacs, junior and senior, are all buried in Balls Pond Road Cemetery. When I visited their graves, the person from the West London Synagogue who unlocked the gate told me that this cemetery was for the congregation of a reform sephardic synagogue. I found this amazing, because my Makower ancestors were ashkenazi jews from Poland/Prussia. But it also made sense because their daughter Emma Issaca married Abraham Garcia.

The jewishscribes website is a new one. I'll look it up and see if I can find all your references.

I hope we can be in touch, and that you for all your research. Could we be related?

Sandra Makower

Default BALLS POND ROAD CEMETERY

Hi Sandra
    If you look on Cemetery Scribes website section on Balls Pond Road Cemetery you will see a list of the several hundred individuals with links to their associated families. Some of my lines are buried in the Cemetery but all are Ashkenazi Jews. However, there are numbers of burials where individuals have Sephardi roots. The Cemetery had its first burial in 1843 and closed in 1951 and was the burial ground for the Western Synagogue destroyed in WW2.
    You can see my replies to Mark on this and an earlier thread.
    Phillip

Hi all,

Still didn't have much luck finding Saul Peller Lyon etc on the Dutchjewry site, looks like I missed some activity on this thread too! Mark, if you're still around, drop me a line please so we can compare notes!

Thanks
    Justin

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast