Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Hi Philip,

I've just noticed that Israel Levy Isaacs was buried, on 28 March 1852, at Ball's Pond Road cemetery (according to JewishGen records on Ancestry, in row 4, plot 5). You very kindly previously asked one of your contacts to check whether there were any details on his sister Ann's gravestone at Ball's Pond Road, or in related burial records, that shed light on their father's identity. Sadly there weren't. I wondered whether you might be able to ask the same contact whether Israel's grave, or related records, give any clues - e.g. giving his father's Hebrew name? Of course there's no hurry and I totally understand if you or your contact don't have the time.

Best wishes,

Mark

Hello

I'm wondering if these people had any connection to the Lousada Barrow family of Amsterdam? Also any direct or indirect relation to Abraham Levi of Amsterdam. Thank you

Hello

I'm wondering if these people had any connection to the Lousada Barrow family of Amsterdam? Also any direct or indirect relation to Abraham Levi of Amsterdam. Thank you

I see that you have also posted on South Africa forum- Baruch Lousada Barrow:Barbados/Jamaica and asked about Ann who married Thomas Ward. It would help if you posted more data on Ann and Thomas Ward such as dob and when/where they were married if you have this information.
    Do you have access to Ancestry public family trees or other sources? Have you seen The Baruch Lousada and the Barrows website which contains genealogies among a range of other sources. See also The Lousada of Sidmouth.P Wingfield-Digby,2021 online pdf research paper.

Please post what information you do have and this would help researchers and to support your enquiry.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

If you look on Synagogue Scribes website under Secular Records using Barrow and Lousada names you will see the various relationships. Note NA 832 Sarah Barrow-1814 where she names her cousin Isaac Levi of Amsterdam. The related last names include Montefiore,Mocatta,Lindo, Da Costa, Levi, Nathan among others. Cross check using the advanced search for Levi, Montefiore, Mocatta and other related names.
    These are will extracts and you can see the full wills on Ancestry up to 1858 and then a shorter extract post 1858. When I have transcribed the post 1858 wills and some of the earlier ones you will see that I have added further data including some family relationships and other data.

Thank you

My fourth great grandmother ANN might have born in Ely sometime between 1790 and 1795. As mentioned I have no last name. She may have passed away December 21, 1831 in Witchford. Again this information is from other sources. As far has her marriage Thomas Ward, it's based on baptismal records for her daughter Jane Ward. From the research done, if she was born in Ely then she may be a relative of Barnet Hart. My information on Lousada Barrow connection came from someone in the group. I matched through gedmatch with 8 of their members. Again I realize I'm grasping at straws. As mentioned, I only have a first name of Ann. Thank you.

Did you see my post in response to your South African enquiry? If not, please read my interest in the Ward lines and also my family relationships to the Goldsmid and associated lines. In addition, my paternal lines include 2 Hart lines who married into each other. I have access to Ancestry and if your lines are part of the public trees I would appreciate a link.
    You mention Ann and the baptismal record for Jane Ward -can you post data on this record.I take it that the record is from Ely, Norfolk.
    With regard to Barnet Hart would you please post any data on him such as dob to help locate him further.
    The more information you post the better able we can help you.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Justin Solomon was a younger brother of my distant grandfather who I have photo of. His farther was Aroon and his farther was aron married in the great synagogue London.
    My name is maxwell Henry lyon where the family from Henry moved and settled from London to plymouth where the Jewish religion faded out.
    Love to know your version from Solomon I have just started to trace back after some information from a great uncle. Are your family jewish

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi all,
    I am also researching the Isaacs/Levy family. My ggg grandfather was George Samuel Isaacs, son of Samuel Isaacs (Samuel 2) and Ann Levy (Ann 2). To recap, Ann is the daughter of Ann (Ann1) who married an unknown Levy then another Samuel Isaacs (Samuel 1).
    I have recently had the Ancestry DNA results done for myself and my father. My father has 3 hits (45cm, 18cm and 10cm) to researchers who descend from different children of Hannah Isaacs and Jacob Falcke. I have two of those hits as well. This would make Hannah the sister of Samuel 2 and the daughter of Joel and Rachel Isaacs. This also ties with Hannah’s will which names her brother Samuel and wife Ann.
    I have also been looking into the Elizabeth Harris (nee Levy) link as mentioned in an earlier post. Ann1 leaves a bequest to Elizabeth Harris. In 1851 EH is living with Ann 1’s son Isaac and she dies at his home in 1856. The 1851 census states she was born in France. If Elizabeth is a relation, could the Levy connection be in France?
    As mentioned in an earlier post Hannah Fano (Capua) in 1840 leaves bequests to Ann1, Eliz Harris, Elizabeth Jacobs wife of Ephraim Jacobs and Sarah Jacobs wife of John Jacobs. Sarah Jacobs is the sister of Ann1’s husband Samuel. Elizabeth Jacobs and John Jacobs are siblings so these families are likely closely connected.
    Finally, both my father and I have two DNA hits (11cm and 9cm) to two researchers who descend from 2 sons of Charles Lett and Isabella Mendes. Ancestry Family trees have Isabella as the daughter of George William Mendes son of David de Abraham Mendes which would make him Hannah Nathan (nee Mendes) half brother (remembering that a legal statement has Hannah Nathan stating that Ann 1 is her aunt). I can’t see any other connections to my family tree to either hit. To those who understand DNA better than me, is this a tentative link to Ann1 being Ann Mendes and David’s sister or is it pushing things too far?

Best wishes
    Ann

Starting to feel at home

Hi Ann,

I'm seeing your post belatedly. It's very interesting. I realise that it's easy to read too much into remote DNA matches, especially among descendants of close communities like 18th/early 19thC Anglo-Jewry. However, if Isabella Mendes, partner of Charles Lett, was a granddaughter of David Mendes, I do think your matches do make it more likely that either: 1) Ann1 was a sister of David Mendes; or 2), perhaps more likely, David Mendes' wife Rebecca was a sister of Samuel1 Isaacs. In the latter scenario, Ann1 would have been the aunt of Hannah Nathan by marriage and a cousin of Samuel2 Isaacs, who she grew up with, according to a chancery document. The Lett/Mendes descendants would also be Isaacs descendants, hence the DNA. I hadn't heard about this Isabella Mendes before - she seems to have had an interesting life and it's nice to be able to see a portrait of her online by Googling.

Incidentally, I very much enjoyed reading Anne Black's book on your ancestor, George. He was fascinating man.

Best wishes,

Mark

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast