Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Hi Steve
    As a recap this is the Death of Isaac Isaacs -At his residence 14 Ebenezer Square..father of the beadle of the Great Synagogue age 84..one of the the oldest members of the Great Synagogue died Thursday
    Sarah Isaacs wife died 30.5.1871 at her residence 14 Ebenezer Square
    Relatives-Kate Isaacs daughter;I Isaacs son;Lewis/louis Isaacs son;Jane Isaacs granddaughter;Sarah Isaacs granddaughter;Sarah Mordecai granddaughter
    Colonial Papers please copy
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Another recap in case we missed out data- Mrs B Harris and Mrs H Jacobs thanks for condolences for their late sister -64 Crown Street Finsbury 16.1.1863;Death 24.1.1862 at 64 Crown Street Finsbury Square aged 66..Mrs B harris sister in law;Rachel Levi daughter;John Levi son in law; Mrs B Harris sister in law

Starting to feel at home

Hi Mark
    I will add Elizabeth/Brinah to my list to look at.
    Today i have been looking at PCC wills, search term "Abraham Levy" in case there was a reference to Barnet as a relation, but no luck.
    Steve

Starting to feel at home

Hi Phillip
    Thanks for the recaps - I will have a look at these.
    Steve

Starting to feel at home

Hi Phillip and Mark
    I have been quiet for a while, but have not given up the ghost. I have been following up the various Levy relationships posted in threads on the forum, without success. I then spent some time reviewing PCC wills under the levy/Levi surname for the period 1784 to 1827, looking for bequests to Barnet Levy, husband of Ann Lion, but without success.
    I am now looking at Mark's suggestions regarding Hannah Levy (married Joseph Brown) and Abraham Levy (married Rosetta Leman) and the possibility that Barnet Levy was their father. I have traced two Family trees on Ancestry that connect these individuals to Ann lion and Barnet Levy, a "Lion Leman Family Tree" posted by Gunnar Leman, and "Abraham Lazarus Family Tree" posted by Sue Lazarus. I wonder if either of these individuals are known to you and whether they are credible sources. I can see there is some validity in some of the relationships. In addition to Hannah and Abraham, they may have siblings Abigail, Elias and Maria. The information I have so far is:
    SynagogueScribes
    Reference: GSM 344/57
    Family Name: BROWN
    Forenames: Joseph
    Hebrew Name: Joseph
    Event: Marriage
    Date: 1839 [7 Aug]
    Father's Hebrew Name: Asher HaLevi
    Spouse:
    Family Name: LEVY
    Forenames: Hannah
    Hebrew Name: Hendela
    Father's Hebrew Name: Issachar Parla (or Farla) HaLevi

1851 England census - Class: HO107; Piece: 2055; Folio: 177; Page: 27
    Birmingham, St Jude
    46 Dudley Street
    Joseph Brown, Head, Married, Male, 41, Clothier & Pawnbroker, born Austria
    Hannah Brown, Wife, Married, Female, 34, Clothier & Pawnbroker, born Middlesex, London
    Barnett Brown, Son, Male, 10, at home, born Staffordshire, Bilston
    Selina Bradburne, Servt, Female, 16, born Handsworth

Name: BROWN, BARNET JOSEPH
    GRO Reference: 1841 J Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON AND SEISDON Volume 17 Page 317
    Mother's Maiden Surname: LEOY

1841 England census – Class: HO107; Piece: 1001; Book: 7; Civil Parish: Wolverhampton; County: Staffordshire; Enumeration District: 16; Folio: 41; Page: 6
    Borough of Wolverhampton
    Township of Bilston
    Church Street (Swan Bank)
    Joseph Brown, Male, 30, Tailor & Clothier, born in Foreign Parts
    Hannah Brown, Female, 30, not born in the County
    Barnet Brown, Male, 6 wks, born in the County

1861 England census - RG 9; Piece: 2149; Folio: 96; Page: 18
    Birmingham, St Jude, Market Hall
    46 Dudley Street
    Joseph Brown, Head, Married, Male, 50, Clothier, born Austria
    Hannah Brown, Wife, Married, Female, 50, born Middlesex, London
    Barnett Brown, Son, Unmarried, Male, 18, Jeweller, born Staffordshire, Bilston
    Emma Abell, Serv, Unmarried, Female, 17, House Serv, born Warwickshire, Birmingham

Ancestry.com. UK, City and County Directories, 1766 – 1946
    UK, City and County Directories, 1600s-1900s
    1862 Corporation Directory for Birmingham and its Environs
    Brown, Barnet J., Jeweller, 46 Dudley street

UK, Midlands and Various UK Trade Directories, 1770-1941
    1866 Morris's Commercial Directory of Warwickshire with Birmingham
    Brown Barnet J., Jewellers' Factor, 46, Dudley street

SynagogueScribes
    Reference: GSM 339/24
    Forenames: Abraham
    Hebrew Name: Abraham
    Date: 1839 [16 Jan]
    Father's Hebrew Name: Issachar Parla (or Farla) HaLevi
    Spouse:
    Family Name: LEMAN
    Forenames: Rosetta
    Hebrew Name: Bluma
    Father's Hebrew Name: Yehuda Lima

1841 England census – Class: HO107; Piece: 684; Book: 13; Civil Parish: St Pancras; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 15; Folio: 18; Page: 30
    Marylebone, St Pancras
    Albany Street
    Abraham Levy, Male, 43, Jeweller, born in the County
    Rosetta Levy, Female, 40, born in the County

1851 England census – Class: HO107; Piece: 1493; Folio: 401; Page: 36
    St Pancras, Regents Park
    107 Albany Road
    Abraham Levy, Head, Married, Male, 54, Working Jeweller, born Whitechapel
    Rosettie Levy, Visitor, Married, Female, 50, born British Subjecy parish NK
    Sarah Morris, Serv, unmarried, Female, 16, House servant, born parish NK

1861 England census - Class: RG 9; Piece: 96; Folio: 40; Page: 36
    Marylebone, Christchurch
    107 Albany Road
    Abraham Levy, Head, Married, Male, 64, Jeweller & Watch maker, born Whitechapel, London
    Rosetta Levy, Wife, Married, Female, 59, The Hague, Holland
    Catherine Lazarus, Wife's Sister, Widow, Female, 53, born The Hague, Holland
    Anne Jones, Lodger, Unmarried, Female, 60, Annuitant, born Brown Candover, Hampshire
    Alice Thompson Feltham, Niece, Unmarried, Female, 11, born St Helens, Jersey

1871 England census – Class: RG10; Piece: 202; Folio: 60; Page: 34
    Marylebone, Christchurch
    99 Albany Road
    Abraham Levy, Head, Married, Male, 70, Working Jeweller, born Middx, Whitechapel
    Rosetta Levy, Wife, Married, Female, 65, born Holland, The Hague

Ancestry.com. England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1995
    Probate Date: 2 Jan 1877
    LEVY Abraham
    Effects under £200
    2 January. Administration of the effects of Abraham Levy late of Joel Emanuel's Almshouses Wellclose-square in the County of Middlesex who died 26 March 1876 at the said Almshouses was granted at the Principal Registry under the usual Limitations to Philip Vallentine of 34 Alfred-street Bedford-square in the said County Printer and Publisher the lawful Attorney of Abigail Bildersee Widow the Sister and only Next of Kin now residing at New York in the United States of America.

I will add more details as I gather them.
    Steve

Starting to feel at home

Continuing on from post #105:

FreeBMD. England & Wales, Civil Registration Marriage Index, 1837-1915
    Name: Joseph Brown/Hannah Levy
    GRO Reference: 1839 S Quarter in City of London Volume 2 Page 180

Name: Abraham Levy/Rosetta Lemon
    GRO Reference: 1839 M Quarter in City of London Volume 2 Page 135

SynagogueScribes
    Reference: GSM 334/41
    Family Name: BILDERSEE
    Forenames: Isaac
    Hebrew Name: Isaac
    Date: 1838 [4 Jul]
    Father's Hebrew Name: Avigdor
    Spouse:
    Forenames: Abigail
    Hebrew Name: Edel
    Father's Hebrew Name: Issachar Parl �Ǫ HaLevi (?)

Name: Isaac Bildersee/Abigail Levy
    GRO Reference: 1838 S Quarter in City of London Volume 2 Page 157

Not traced in the 1841 England Census. Gunnar Leman has their daughters Nancy and Catherine born in the UK in 1839 and 1841 respectively, with the next two children, Louisa, born about 1844, and Barnett, born about 1846, both in New York, where the family remained through 1851 to 1880 at least.

SynagogueScribes
    Reference: GSM 330/11
    Forenames: Elias
    Hebrew Name: Eliahu
    Date: 1837 [13 Dec]
    Father's Hebrew Name: Issachar ?? HaLevi
    Spouse:
    Family Name: POLOCHY
    Forenames: Sarah
    Hebrew Name: Sarah
    Father's Hebrew Name: Shmuel Placha

Name: Elias Levy/Sarah Polochy
    GRO Reference: 1837 D Quarter in City of London Volume 2 Page 257

1851 England census – Class: HO107; Piece: 1545; Folio: 271; Page: 5
    Whitechapel, St Judes, Tower Hamlets
    15 Love Court
    Elias Levy, Head, Married, Male, 38, Clothes dealer, born London, Aldgate
    Sarah Levy, Wife, Married, Female, 32, born Germany, British Subject
    Hanah Levy, Daur, Unarried, Female, 11, Scholar, born Middlesex, Whitechapel
    Isaac Levy, Son, Male, 10, Scholar, born Middlesex, Whitechapel
    Elizabeth Levy, Daur, Female, 9, Scholar, born Middlesex, Whitechapel
    Barnett Levy, Son, Male, 7, Scholar, born Middlesex, Whitechapel
    Clara Levy, Daur, Female, 5, Scholar, born Middlesex, Whitechapel
    Samuel Levy, Son, Male, 3, born Middlesex, Whitechapel
    Mary Levy, Daur, Female, 1, born Middlesex, Whitechapel

General Register Office online birth indexes:
    Name: LEVY, HANNAH
    GRO Reference: 1839 J Quarter in WHITECHAPEL UNION Volume 02 Page 534
    Mother's Maiden Surname: POLOCHY

General Register Office online birth indexes:
    Name: LEVY, BARNETT
    GRO Reference: 1844 M Quarter in WHITECHAPEL UNION Volume 02 Page 639
    Mother's Maiden Surname: PALACHY

1841 England census – Class: HO107; Piece: 717; Book: 8; Civil Parish: St Mary Whitechapel; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 16; Folio: 8; Page: 8
    Tower Hamlets, St Mary Whitechapel
    Love Court
    Elias Levy, Male, 25, Genl Dealer, born in the County
    Sarah Levy, Female, 20, born in the County
    Hanah Levy, Female, 2, born in the County
    Isaac Levy, Male, 6 Mo, born in the County
    Emma Nugent, Female, 23, F S, born in the County

Maria Levy – Gunnar Leman shows Maria Levy as the wife of Robert Daniel Feltham, parents of Alice Thompson Feltham, who was in her Uncle Abraham's residence in the 1851 census. Maria's birth year is estimated at 1812, but no marriage is given.

Summary:
    Hannah, Abraham, Abigail and Elias all seem to have the same father.
    Abraham has a niece, that appears to place an additional sibling, Maria Levy, in the frame.
    Hannah, Abigail and Elias all had sons that they named Barnett, possibly in honour of their father.
    From census records, Hannah Levy's year of birth is either 1811 or 1817. If the latter, it would put Barnet Levy that died 1813 out of the picture.
    Gunnar Leman associates Barnet Levy and Ann Lyon as the parents of the above, but shows no sources to support the fact.
    Sue Lazarus also associates Barnet Levy and Ann Lyon as the parents of the above, although she does not include Maria among the siblings, but likewise shows no sources to support the fact.
    Marriage certificates will only name the Bride or Groom's father, so will not really help our cause.

I have sent messages to Gunnar Leman and Sue Lazarus asking how they confirmed both Barnet Levy and Ann Lyon as the parents of Abraham, Elias, Abigail, Hannah and Maria.

Hi Steve
    You might want to cross check the names on Familysearch. Isaac Bildersee was naturalised in New York 1848. You can see other linked Bildersee. The only reference in Berger to Joseph Brown is the death of his wife Hannah 27.12.1871 19 Bedford Square Birmingham age 71.
    There is a Rosetta Brown widow of Jacob Brown Birmingham who re-married to Marcus Friedman of Hull in 1880.
    I will look further.

Starting to feel at home

Hi Phillip/Mark

It appears that the transcriptions of Synagogue records by Harold and Miriam Lewin shed more light on Barnet Levy and Ann Lions, but so far I haven't been able to locate an archive where these can be viewed. I am advised that spellings are sometimes different, hence Porlah and Farla, and that P and F in Hebrew script are similar, except the P has a dot and the F doesn't, leading to differences in transcription.

I am told that the Lewin transcriptions give more data than SynagogueScribes, and their transcription of the Great Synagogue Marriage Record 1791-1885 shows Barnets' Hebrew name in the marriage register as Porlah/ Farla and later as Yissachar Farla Halevi. The Hebrew name Farla seems to be very unusual, in that, of hundreds of Levi/Levy marriages and births, it only appears in a small number of records.

This Hebrew name Yissachar Farla Halevi is given as the Father's Hebrew name on the Marriage records for
    1. Abigail Levy (= Isaac Bildersee, GSM 334/41)
    2. Abraham Levy (= Rosetta Leman, GSM 339/24)
    3. Hannah Levy (= Joseph Brown, GSM 344/57)
    The home address at the time of marriage for Abraham, Abigail and Hannah, is recorded as 2 Nottingham Place, Charlotte Street, Mile End Old Town (not sure if this information appears in Lewin transcriptions or GRO marriage certificates), so reinforces the likelihood of them being siblings. I am informed that Abraham's marriage certificate shows his occupation as jeweller and names his father as Barnet, who was deceased.

Elias Levy, another potential son of Barnet, married from 135 Wentworth Street and his fathers' Hebrew name is recorded as Yissachar Halevi.

The birth records (from the Lewin Transcription of the Birth Records of the Great and Hambro Synagogues) of two of his children, Barnet and Brinah, confirm that their grandfather was Yissachar Halevi, their home address being Love Court, Petticoat Lane, as in the 1841 and 1851 censuses referred to in posting #106. Apparently these birth records are quite detailed, recording the name of the child, his/her patronymic; father's name and patronymic, mother's name, place of residence and date of birth. I am not sure which child is Brinah.

Two possible alternatives have been put forward for Elias's father, so his relationship with the family is not definite.

I have been advised of a circumcision record (SS JM642 was the reference given) 9 March 1835, for Barnett Levy, Hebrew name Issachar, known as Parla, name of father Itzak Halevi, address Love Court, Middlesex Street. This would appear to be Elias's son Barnett, but the circumcision date doesn't sit well with his birth year according to the 1851 census.

In summary:
    1. There are at least three siblings Abigail, Abraham and Hannah, whose father's anglicised and Hebrew names seem to match Barnet Levy, husband of Ann Lions
    2. Hannah and Abigail both named one of their sons Barnett, possibly in honour of their father.
    3. The siblings father was deceased by 1839
    4. The Barnet Levy that died in 1813 seems to have the same Hebrew name and father's name as the husband of Ann Lions, and his death fits with (3)
    5. It has not been confirmed that Hannah's birth year was before the 1813 Barnet Levy death.

I think I have reached the point where the balance of probabilities is that this is the family unit of Barnet Levy and Ann Lions, so I now intend to look for other candidates for the parents of my ancestor Isaac Levy Isaacs.

Hi Steve
    The Latter Day Saints hold the micro film records on The New Synagogue Marriages and Births 1791-1896;Marriages and Index Gt Synagogue 1865-1885; Marriages Gt Synagogue 1837-1862;Marriages Gt Synagogue 1862-1879; Notes on 17th C London Jews plus other Jewish Records. These records are held at their Kew centre.
    In addition, the records are now also held by the Society of Genealogists in London.
    I contacted Harold Lewin in Jerusalem some years ago about his publications. These publications were produced independently by he and his wife. I have a feeling he died so am not sure where you would get your own copies of his books.
    I also visited the LDS centre in London and researched the above records which are written in Hebrew and English. I took photocopies and made notes on my lines.
    Check also that the JGSGB Library index to confirm whether or not they also hold the Lewin books.
    You will need someone to translate the Hebrew writing which is why you need to make copies. Both the LDS, SoG and JSGB have photocopies.

Starting to feel at home

Many thanks for that information Phillip - it's another reason for me to visit the SOG once restrictions are lifted.

Steve

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast