Results 1 to 1 of 1
  1. #1

    Default Service records post 1921 incl. WW2 & after

    Service records from WW2 (indeed, starting from 1921) and after have not been released by MOD yet. The forms to apply for a copy of service records for someone who has died are HERE.

    Read the whole page - I don't always notice when they update it until someone tells me.

    There are 5 different sets of forms depending on which service your ancestor served in; Royal Navy, Royal Marines, British Army, Royal Air Force and Home Guard.

    You need to first fill out form V6 for either Next of Kin or General Enquiry depending on your circumstances. These require you to identify yourself, where you live and with the Next of Kin form identify how you are related to the serviceman or woman.

    The second form required is labelled part 2 and is dependant on the Armed Service your ancestor served in. This is where you must provide all of the information you currently have on the ancestor you are searching for and what information you would like to receive. The more you can give the MOD at this point, the more likely it is they will pick up your request and also eases the time taken to find the record.

    As you will see from the info on the site, the amount of information provided to anyone other than the next of kin is limited for up to 25 years after the death, after that, anyone can apply.

    You will need a copy of the death cert, unless your ancestor was killed during the war. You will also need to pay a 30.00, non-refundable fee. It can take up to 12 months for the information to be found, however it is well worth doing as it is NOT available anywhere else.
    Their site has been updated, and now says that the spouse or civil partner of a deceased service person does not have to pay the fee. If there is no spouse or partner, a parent can order the records without paying.

    If the serviceman/woman is alive, only they can apply, but the copy is free. The first set of forms on THIS PAGE labelled DPA SAR for Data Protection Act, Subject Access Request will need to be filled out by this person or with attached and signed written consent.

    You may find the National Archives site HERE useful.

    The main source of online info for WW2 is the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site, HERE, but of course it's not a lot of help if the person survived the war!

    Forces War Records have a number of Second World War datasets which includes lists of Officers for the three Armed Services, Aircraft Losses in Fighter, Bomber and Coastal Command and daily reports of Army casualties, deaths, prisoners and MIAs as well as POWs captured by Germany, Italy and Japan. These lists can and often do include survivors, regrettably they are not however 100% complete. Details for these collections can all be found HERE
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 15-09-2015 at 8:51 AM. Reason: updated


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Select a file: