Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Stuart
    Is this Joel Harris your relative? From The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, 2004 Publisher Robert Boyd- DEATH- JOEL HARRIS- Death 25.3.1875 at 31 Hackney Road after a short illness, in his 38th year. Nb In the message of thanks for condolences from Mrs Joel Harris and Mr M H HARRIS they are referred to as Joel Harris wife and brother but the address is 361 Hackney Road.

If you have any data on the Harris and Isaacs with full names and any date of birth; marriage and death there maybe records in the two Berger volumes of 1861-70; 71-80. See also the Anglo Jewish Miscellanies online by Jeffery Maynard which contain similar records but some pre date 1861 and are also post 1880.
    Phillip
    Stuart what is your connection to the Harris family?

Hello Ron and many apologies not the late response.

My Mother's family was Harris through her Father Samuel and his father Joel, Grand Father Benjamin and Grt-Grandfather Nathan. Nathan and Benjamin travelled to the UK from Holland probably first quarter of the 1800s but have yet to establish if they were Dutch. The Harris family also have links to an Issacs Family of Great Yarmouth through Benjamin's second wife.

Please do let me know if our research overlaps and if you require any more info.
    Regards
    Stuart

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart R View Post

My Mother's family was Harris through her Father Samuel and his father Joel, Grand Father Benjamin and Grt-Grandfather Nathan. Nathan and Benjamin travelled to the UK from Holland probably first quarter of the 1800s but have yet to establish if they were Dutch. The Harris family also have links to an Issacs Family of Great Yarmouth through Benjamin's second wife.

Please do let me know if our research overlaps and if you require any more info.
    Regards
    Stuart
    Hello Stuart
    My father was Joel Harris who I did not know that well as the last time I saw him was at Dalston Junction Railway station just prior to war being declared. My parents divorced. I have been in touch with another member of the family, Gerry Harris is his name we shared fathers

Do you have another email or phone . I look forward to hearing from you

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart R View Post

Regards
    Stuart
    Hello Stuart
    Was your Mothers name Bobbie if so you are my cousin, her brother was Joel who was my Dad,
    Would be great if I could speak to you. my phone is 01923 859793 or [email protected]
    Look forward to hearing from you
    Ron Harris

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Apologies for replying so late in the day. My 3rd great grandmother was Emma Rebecca Levy d.o.b 1816. Her father was Samuel Levy Issacs. Emma married Abraham Garcia and in 1845 had Frederick William Garcia. He married Sarah Anna James and they had Arthur Sammuel Garcia who married Emma Jane Garcia d.o.b 1882. I think Emma's parents were Lucy Mazaltob Lion d.o.b 1779 amd Abigador Phillip Garcia. I expect after all this time you know alot more than me. I am new to this. Do you know anything about Lucy Mazaltob Lion or Abigador Phillip Garcia? I cannot seem to find their ancestors. Best Wishes. Yve

Starting to feel at home

Regarding Rachel Isaacs nee Davis, wife of Joel Isaacs mentioned in previous posts, I have three dates of birth for Rachel:
    1764, based on the find a grave entry, “RACHAEL Wife of JOEL ISAACS WHO DIED APRIL 29 1846, Aged 82 Years”
    1771, based on death notices, Bury and Norwich Post 13 May 1846, “Norwich, DIED, On Thursday last, aged 75, Mrs. Isaacs, widow of the late Mr. Joel Isaacs, of this city” and Norfolk News 09 May [Saturday] 1846, “On Thursday last, Mrs. ISAACS, widow of the late Mr. Joel Isaacs, aged 75 years.”
    1781, based on the 1841 census entry referenced in earlier posts.
    The newspaper death notices suggest that she was of Norwich, but don't give her burial place. The “find a grave” entry refers to a headstone in the Colby Gate Jewish Burial Ground, Great Yarmouth.
    The 1841 census entry refers to Isaac Isaacs in Gaol Street, Great Yarmouth, whereas the death records refer to Joel Isaacs. The London Gazette, Publication date:14 June 1831, Issue:18813, Page:1188 mentions that Joel is sometimes known as Isaac Isaacs.
    On the face of it, Joel or Isaac Isaacs is the same husband in each case above. But I am puzzled by the 17 year spread of birth dates for Rachel and two different death dates, possibly in two diferent places, Norwich and Great Yarmouth.
    I am not actively pursuing this conundrum at the moment as the balance of probability is that I am not a blood relation of Joel Isaacs. My main reason for this posting is that I don't think I have previously seen any reference to the newspaper death notices and hope they will prove useful to someone researching this line.
    Steve

Hi Steve
    For other researchers the GRO Death Index ( main GRO site) gives Rachel Isaacs June qtr 1846 Yarmouth 13 265 age 75. It would be interesting to see who the informant was.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

See the website International Jewish Cemetery Projects.The Old Jews'Burial Ground Colbys Gate Yarmouth. The 1928 newspaper reference to the tombstone of Joel and Rachel Isaacs with both their year of death 1846 and Rachel's age at death of 82 suggests that one informant gave an age of 75 on the Death record and a family member/relative gave another for the inscription. The Hebrew inscriptions were faded by 1928 and could have revealed more details.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456