Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Stuart - I'll reply properly at the weekend. Briefly, I know that Samuel Isaacs (1768-1843) married (or conceivably just lived with) Ann Levy (1768-1853) and that Ann Levy's daughter, another Ann (1805-1877), married a second Samuel Isaacs (1792-1877). That's all backed up by plenty of evidence, including Chancery documents.

I'm not certain that Samuel (b. 1768) was the brother of Joel, or that the younger Samuel (b. 1792) was Joel's son; although that's how a lot of people reconstruct the relationships on trees at Ancestry. I'm aware of a few snippets that indicate that that might be the case (nothing conclusive), which I'll post with some other Isaacs material at the weekend.

Phillip - Your census finds are very interesting, especially if they suggest that Joel and Rachael were born abroad. I'll have a look at that and also the Isaacs/David posts you mention.

Best wishes,

Mark

Thanks Mark for your message.
    Interesting you throw some doubt on the two Samuel's relationship to Joel......and I thought I had it cracked!
    I shall be doing some work on the Yarmouth Isaac Family over the weekend and will post all I have.
    Thanks again for your input.
    Stuart

As a summary and follow up to #21 of this thread see- National Archives UK - Chancery records:
    Isaacs v Garcia: Plaintiffs Samuel Isaacs. Defendants Abraham Garcia, Emma Garcia his wife, Israel Levy Isaacs, Hannah Isaacs his wife, Samuel Isaacs, Abraham Isaacs. 1850 C14/1147/I/J33
    Isaacs v Isaacs- Plaintiffgs Ann Isaacs widow and others. Defendants Samuel Isaacs and wife, Abraham Garcia, Israel Levy Isaacs, Thomas Dayson and Isaac... 1850 C14/1148/I/J46
    Isaacs v Isaacs- Plaintiffs George Samuel Isaacs. Defendants Ann Isaacs and Samuel Isaacs 1849 C14/1011/I/J21

Phillip

Phillip

Phillip

Before I try and get down to some searching over this weekend/Early next week, I thought you might be interested to have the information I have at this stage about Phillp Isaacs.
    The Phillip you mentioned is indeed the son of Joel and a sister to Elinor. Philip was the informant on the death certificates of both parents - Joel and Rachael and the address given was Charlotte St, Great Yarmouth. I presume that this was the family home as it also appears as the place of solemnization of Marriage between his sister Elinor and Benjamin Harris in 1845.
    Benjamin lived with his widowed father in the East end of London and this was his second marriage, his first wife Hanna had died of a fever within a three week onset, leaving 2 young children. The union of Benjamin and Elinor gave issue to my Grt Grandfather Joel Harris. Incidentally the names Benjamin, Elinor and Joel are still used in the family to the present day.
    I am curious regarding the connection both personal and business between Yarmouth and the East End of London. This is an area of research I would like to explore further. However, a few things strike me at very first glance: - ithere was a thriving trade in oranges and I noticed that Samuel Issacs, the disputed( see Marks message) brother of Joel was an orange merchant based in London. Also Benjamin Harris and his father were immigrants from Holland. As I understand it, Dutch boats landing at Yarmouth were a common sight in mid/late 18th century. Interesting to note that Phillip was born in the East End of London rather than Yarmouth where his parents lived and his sister was born. Sorry I'm rambling.....
    Might be interesting to note that Joel Isaacs in Yarmouth tended to, at times, use his father's name of Isaac and was therefore known as Isaac Isaacs. He was also known as Jewel Isaacs and his name in that form appears on his death certificate.
    Stuart

Stuart
    Are these two records from Synagogue Scribes site GSMa 085/10 Marriage- Benjamin Harris - father's Hebrew name Jacob Married Hannah Abrahams 3 Jan 1849 or an earlier marriage GSM 286/14 -16 Jan 1833 Benjamin Harris to Hannah Samuel.

Without 'muddying the waters' I also have Harris and Isaacs marriages to my Crawcour lines namely Elly Isaac Miller b 1844 father ISAAC ISAACS; John Isaacs of Chatham Kent; Sheba HARRIS b 1872 daughter of Abraham Harris; Semira HARRIS b 1834.

Phillip

Phillip
    The earlier of the two records make sense. I do remember that I have somewhere that Hanna's maiden name was Samuels. More to the point is that by 1849 Hanna was no longer alive, so we can rule out the later entry.
    Looks like I need to do some work on the previous posts to understand the Harris- Isaacs-Crawcour lines you mentioned.
    Fascinating. I realise I've sort of jumped into an existing stream of information so I need to make some sense of it.
    Thanks again Phillip for your input.
    Stuart

Stuart
    For clarity and to support previous data here are the 1851/1861 British Census Records for Benjamin Harris:
    1851 - 19 Ebenezer Square St.Botolph Aldgate- HO107 1524 25 42 (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    Benjamin Harris H M 42 General Dealer b Holland; Elinor wife 38 b Yarmouth; Moses bson 14 b Yarmouth; Joseph 9 son b Yarmouth; Joel son 3 b Middx London; Abraham Harris father widower 76 b Holland; Isaac Abrahams lodger u 18 coal boy b Deal Kent

1861 British Census 1 Middlesex St Whitechapel RG9 270 67 16 (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    Benjamin Harris H M 56 General Dealer b Holland; Elena wife 40 b Norfolk Yarmouth; Nathan Frances widower lodger 60 General Dealer b Kent Chatham; William Harris son 9 b Whitechapel; Jewell Harris 13 ( recorded as daughter) b Whitechapel; Hannah Harris dau 6 b Whitechapel

Marriage Index Record- Oct qtr 1845 Elinor/Eleanor ISAACS - Benjamin HARRIS - Yarmouth Norfolk 13 969

I can't trace the family post 1861 and suspect there are typographical issues with transcriptions.
    Phillip

Stuart
    The 1841 British Census shows Benjamin Harris with his wife Hannah and 4 young children:
    Ebenezer Square St.Botolph Aldgate HO107 725 1 18 31 (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    Benjamin Harris 35 General Dealer Foreign Birth; Hannah 36 b in county; Moses 6; Joseph 3mths; David 7;Sarah 2 - all children born in county. There appear other names in the same house including William Abrahams 74 General Dealer and Morris Simmons 68 porter. I note that in the 1851 Census there was Isaac Abrahams age 18 lodger ( see previous post) so there might be an Abrahams family connection.

See also JewishGen UK Data bases for a range of records which have Harris surname and Abraham and Benjamin Harris but I have insufficient data to confirm that these individuals are your lines. See also the 1851 British Census on JewishGen which has data on Benjamin Harris including the Hebrew name for a child born 1852- Tsvi Hirsch taken from Lewin " Birth Records".
    Phillip

Starting to feel at home

Default ISAACS of Norfolk and London

Samuel Isaacs was an orange merchant/fruiterer based at New Street, Covent Garden. He later lived at Claremont Terrace, Pentonville, and died on May 22, 1843 - aged 75, according to his death certificate.

He was born in Middlesex, according to the 1841 census.

The only possible birth or circumcision record I can find for him is in the Circumcision Register ascribed to Rabbi Ash of Dover (Susser Archive):

“I circumcised here London the child Samuel nicknamed Zanvil ben Isaac Eizak Friday 15 Av '528 [= 29 July 1768] amoc.”

As discussed previously, he seems to have married Ann, the widow of a Mr Levy, and Ann’s children took Samuel Isaacs' surname (with the exception of Emma, who was illegitimate).

Samuel’s stepdaughter Ann a.k.a. Hannah (born c. 1805) married another Samuel Isaacs in 1822.

From the Norfolk Chronicle, Saturday 23 March 1822:

"MARRIED. Lately, Mr. Samuel Isaacs, of this city, to Miss H. Isaacs, daughter of Mr. S. Isaacs, merchant, of London."

This younger Samuel and his wife soon moved from Norwich to London; his property in Norwich, was sold at auction at the Angel Inn “in consequence of leaving this city” in July 1823 (Norfolk Chronicle, 12 Jul 1823).

At that point Samuel Jr.'s [Norwich] address was Davy Place. The property sold included:

“Household Furniture, China, Glass, Gold and Silver Watches, Diamonds, Pearls, Plate, Rare Shells, Old China, and a splendid Collection of Paintings, by Italian, Flemish, Dutch and other Masters [including works by Rembrandt, Wijnants, Dusart, Correggio and other top names]”

Samuel Jr. continued to sell these sorts of items in London; there are numerous references to his stock/sales in 19th century newspaper articles.

Many family trees online (e.g. at Ancestry) state that the two Samuels were uncle and nephew; Samuel Sr. being the brother of Joel Isaacs, of Great Yarmouth and Norwich, the father of Samuel Jr.

As I said, I haven't seen proof of these relationships, although Samuel Jr.'s descendants may have it, but will shortly post several points that indicate that they're very possible.

Best wishes,

Mark

Starting to feel at home

I think these facts help the case for Samuel Sr. being brother of Joel and uncle of Samuel Jr.:

- Samuel Isaacs Sr. left property to his will to his “nephew” George Isaacs, clarifying in a codicil that this referred to George Samuel Isaacs, the son of Samuel Isaacs Jr. and Ann.

- Samuel was born around 1792; that’s the year of Joel Isaacs’ marriage to Rachel Davis; so fits with him being their son.
    Samuel Isaacs Sr. was a fruiterer, as was Joel Isaacs, of Great Yarmouth and Norwich.

- Joel Isaacs was, at some point, “of Davy Place” in Norwich (as mentioned by Phillip); that was also the address of Samuel Jr. before he moved to London. Samuel Jr. started in the fruit trade in Norfolk before switching his focus to paintings/antiques.

- Joel Isaacs was born around either 1748 or 1758, depending on whether the Hebrew or English inscription on his gravestone was right; a later 19th century Jewish Chronicle article stated that the English inscription, indicating the earlier birth date, would have been correct as the family would have spoken English, but not Hebrew. However, his death announcement in the Norfolk Chronicle puts him at 89 in 1846; putting his birth at 1757 so I imagine a date of 1757/58 is correct, which easily fits with Joel and Samuel Sr. (born c. 1768) being brothers.

- Joel Isaacs’ father’s name was Isaac, according to his marriage record. If the circumcision record I’ve found is the correct record for Samuel Sr., his father’s name was Isaac too.

Given the census record that Phillip found which indicates that Joel Isaacs was born outside of England and Wales, a possibility is that an immigrant called Isaac moved from Holland to England with his son Joel (and maybe other children) sometime between around 1758 and 1768. His son Samuel was born in London. Both sons went into the fruit trade; Joel operating in Norfolk where the fruit arrived from Holland and Samuel in Covent Garden. Samuel seems to have done particularly well for himself, and when his stepdaughter Ann married his nephew, Samuel Jr., he may have helped them to set up business in London. He may have used connections in Holland to source paintings as a large proportion of the paintings he sold seem to have been by Dutch/Flemish Old Masters.

Samuel Sr.’s daughter or step-daughter Emma married Abraham Garcia, whose father Philip was a big retail fruiterer and may have had business ties to Samuel Sr. and Joel. Abraham also started in the fruit trade but, like his brother-in-law Samuel Jr., switched to picture-dealing.

There are records of a Nephtali/Nepthali Isaacs who worked as a [fruit] shopman for Samuel Jr. at Davy Place and later went into the straw hat manufacturing business with his wife and set up shop in Oxford Street, London. His wife was very successful at a time and made hats for the royal family. Nephtali may or may not have been a relative of Joel and the two Samuels.

There’s a snippet view result: “Samuel Isaacs and Company of Norwich, also of Oxford Street, London, first appear as fruiterers and madrepore merchants at 40 London Lane in 1818.”

From: Jewish Historical Studies: Transactions of the Jewish Historical Society of England, Vol. 32, Malcolm Brown, The Jews of Norfolk and Suffolk before 1840.

I’ll look at this when I can as it may be helpful. Samuel Jr. was at London Lane before Davy Place.

I'd be interested in other people's thoughts on these possible relationships. Apologies for the length of these posts.

Best wishes,

Mark

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast