ausiejude

Default The Priory, Leominster

In searching for more information, re one of my families, I found a death notice in old papers in Sydney for my g.g.g.grandmother, Ann Smith, who died at the Priory, Leominster, England on August 13 1863. Her son was Canon Thomas Smith and I am wondering what the Priory actually was. ? I know that her husband William had passed before her, so am wondering how she actually came to be living there, or was it her son that enabled her to be able to live there.? Canon Smith emigrated to Australia and although he had a sister that I know of, who I know nothing about, I am not sure if there were any family left in England. ?

Any help would be gratefully received and if I can help anyone with any research in Australia but particularly NSW I would be glad to help.
    Last edited by ausiejude; 12-04-2014 at 1:47 AM. Reason: forgot information

Reputation beyond repute

I am wondering what the Priory actually was
    Probably a street in this context

https://www.
    streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=349815&Y=259330&A=Y&Z=106

It's also easy to find in the 1881 census - have a look - just the usual mixture of people living there.

RG11/2605 f 30 p 7 (also look at the immediately preceding pages )

Also an ancient monument and the name of the parish church. See Wikipedia.

Allan F Sparrow

FreeBMD has Ann Smith died Leominster 1863 3rd quarter, vol 6a page 352.
    Also a William Smith died Leominster 1856 1st quarter vol 6a page 331; and another died Leominster 1858 1st quarter vol 6a page 475. Plenty of others dying in the same time-frame in other Herefordshire districts.

There were (at least) two widows named Ann Smith living in Leominster in the 1861 census, but neither has the Priory in her address.

In 1851 there was the following family at Stoke Prior in Leominster registration district:
    William Smith born at Stretford in 1795. He was a master carpenter, employing one man.
    Ann Smith his wife, born at Kimbolton in 1801. They could conceivably be your people, but obtaining the death certificate for the Ann who died in 1863 might be your best starting point.

ausiejude

Thank you both for all that information. . . . . .I was lucky in-so-much that my g.g.grandfather being someone well know in the early days of Sydney that after much searching of the old newspapers I found that he had put both his parents deaths in the newspapers. His father, William died on October 7th in Leominster in 1864 aged 64 years and his mother, Ann on 13th August 1863 aged 57 years old.

Again, many thanks to both of you for this help,

Ausiejude

Allan F Sparrow

With the extra information which you have now given, of course I was able to find the right death registration for William, in 1864 4th quarter at Leominster, vol 6a page 363.

William and Anne were in Leominster in 1851 in Broad Street with a son William aged 19; in 1861 the couple were in Leominster in Priory or Priory Street. William was a cattle dealer in 1861, a wool and cattle dealer in 1851.

So the picture is clear from this end.

ausiejude

Thanks Allan,
    I will have to chase up the son William, I have just checked the Reference to Broad St and found a line of shrubs but didn't expect to see an old house.

Thanks for all you help,

Regards,
    Judy