Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: French Polish!

lizziebeth

Question French Polish!

I have been told that my GT Grandmother was employed in her own right as a french polisher, and that she incorporated her surname with her husbands when they married, thereby becoming "double barrelled". Was there ever such a thing as a register or directory of trades people where i might find any information? She was born in 1873 in Govan, Lanark, and as far as i know lived in that area most of her life. Any help or advice would be most welcome. Thanks

Mary Young

Hi, Lizziebeth
    Sorry, can't help with trade directories etc. But I've just done a search for "french polisher" in Lowlands Scotland, 1881 census, and was amazed to find 1179 people working at that trade. Many are young women, either daughters or lodgers of men in associated trades - joiners, furniture makers, even a "looking glass maker".
    Do you know, was your gr-grandmother following in a family trade?

Colin Moretti

Quote Originally Posted by lizziebeth
    ... Was there ever such a thing as a register or directory of trades people where i might find any information? She was born in 1873 in Govan, Lanark, and as far as i know lived in that area most of her life. Any help or advice would be most welcome. Thanks
    Archive CD Books produce a number of Post Office directories for Scotland. If she was self-employed then she is almost certain to be listed in a directory, they usually include a classified or alphabetical (by surname) trade section. If she was employed then she would not be listed under her trade, The street directory would not contain her unless she was head of household and not necessarily even then.

Good luck

Colin

Wirral

Married women in Scotland often kept their maiden name, either on its own or with their husband's surname.

lizziebeth

Default French Polish?

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Young
    Hi, Lizziebeth
    Sorry, can't help with trade directories etc. But I've just done a search for "french polisher" in Lowlands Scotland, 1881 census, and was amazed to find 1179 people working at that trade. Many are young women, either daughters or lodgers of men in associated trades - joiners, furniture makers, even a "looking glass maker".
    Do you know, was your gr-grandmother following in a family trade?
    Hello Mary, and thanks for your reply. My gr-grandmother was not following in a family trade,(well not directly,) her father was a shipyard labourer and mother an agricultural worker, (as stated on their marriage cert) they lived and married in Belfast, and must have moved to Scotland some time between their marriage and the birth of Mary. I dont know for sure if they had any other children, but i think there was possibly a son who emigrated to america.Mary was born in 1873 in Govan. Her parents married in Belfast in 1871, so that rather narrows down when they moved! If you feel kindly disposed, might you see if you can find them on the 1881 census? He was John Bogue(or Boag?) born 1841 and Ellen(possibly Helen) nee Halliday born 1843. I will be most approciative of anything you might find. Thank you.

lizziebeth

Default French Polish!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Moretti
    Archive CD Books produce a number of Post Office directories for Scotland. If she was self-employed then she is almost certain to be listed in a directory, they usually include a classified or alphabetical (by surname) trade section. If she was employed then she would not be listed under her trade, The street directory would not contain her unless she was head of household and not necessarily even then.

Good luck

Colin
    Hi Colin, thanks for your reply. I am not entirely sure if she was self employed or not, so i will do a bit more detective work. Thanks again.

lizziebeth

Smile French Polish!

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral
    Married women in Scotland often kept their maiden name, either on its own or with their husband's surname.
    Hello Wirral. Thanks for the information, i was not aware that it was a common practice, to do this, maybe the feminist movement started in Scotland!!! Thanks.

Mary Young

... might you see if you can find them on the 1881 census? He was John Bogue (or Boag?) born 1841 and Ellen (possibly Helen) nee Halliday born 1843, daughter Mary born 1873. I will be most appreciative of anything you might find. Thank you.
    Well lizziebeth you have beaten me!
    I expected to find them in a trice, but alas, no joy with Boag/Bogue/Bogie, even looked at all the "Bs", all the Marys born in Govan c.1872-4, any Helen/Ellen Hallidays etc. Nowhere in Scotland (Lowlands or Highlands), perhaps they'd gone back to Ireland for a while, or maybe just missed in the census.
    What is your next sighting of the family after Mary's birth, were they in Scotland?

lizziebeth

Hello again Mary and thanks for your efforts so far! I have a copy of Marys' birth certificate which shows her having arrived in this world on 25.5.1873 (at 4.20am!) at 7 Queen Street, Govan. Proud parents were John Boag (brickbuilders labourer) and Helen Boag (nee Halliday).They, in turn were married 2.4.1871 at St Annes Parish Church, Belfast. His occupation at this time is given as Labourer.Then, in 1893, Mary married on 2nd June to Robert Donaldson,apprentice brassfinisher, her occupation listed as French Polisher. Her father was listed as deceased by this time, and mothers name spelt Ellen! Address given as usual residence was Robert- 7 Victoria Place, Clydebank and Mary - 16 Clydebank Terrace, Clydebank. These details come from the original document given to me by my great aunt, and it is this that got me started on all of this!! (long before the advent of computer technology i must add)!! What i would really love to know now is whether Mary had any brothers and sisters. Thanks for looking so far.

Mary Young

1873 - 7 Queen Street, Govan. 1893 - Robert Donaldson- 7 Victoria Place, Clydebank and Mary Boag - 16 Clydebank Terrace, Clydebank.
    Well you are a tease
    1881 - No sign of Donaldson, Boag/Bogue/Bogie/Bog (etc.) or Halliday at Queen Street, Victoria Place or adjoining streets. Aaargh! NB Dozens if not hundreds of people (mainly Irish) living at each number in these streets, obviously large tenements.
    I could look for Robert Donaldson - do you have his dob and parents' names? It would be nice to find someone !

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast