Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: French Polish!

lizziebeth

Hello again Mary, sorry to be causing you such frustration! I can tell you that Robert who was my GT Grandfather was a twin, and they were born on 5.5.1873, his twin brother was called Alexander. They had an elder sister Mary, and their parents were John and Euphemia (nee cruickshank). I have quite a bit of information relating to John Alexander and Euphemia, and from Robert down to my grandfather etc, but as you may have guessed i am struggling a bit with the Boag connection! It would also be nice to find out what happened to Roberts twin, Alexander and their sister Mary. I really appreciate everything you are doing, and feel that i have nothing to offer in return, apart from my grateful thanks.Not that it makes any difference, but i have a photograph of Robert and "Sandy" as Alexander was apparently known, and they were identical!!

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by lizziebeth
    Robert Donaldson, my GT Grandfather had a twin, Alexander, and they were born on 5.5.1873. They had an elder sister Mary, and their parents were John and Euphemia (nee Cruickshank).
    Well that was eesy beesy (but you probably have the info. already!).
    The Donaldsons were in North Leith in 1881.
    24 Prince Regent St. North Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland
    (FHL Film 0224017, GRO Ref Volume 692-1. EnumDist 23, Page 34
    John DONALDSON, head, married, 33 (born St Andrews, Fife)
    Occ: Blacksmith
    Euphemia DONALDSON, wife,44 (St Andrews)
    Mary E. DONALDSON, daur, 9 (Granton, Edinburgh)
    Robert DONALDSON, son, 7 (Granton)
    Alexander DONALDSON, son, 7 (Granton)
    John LESLIE, married lodger, 30 (Kirkcaldy, Fife)
    Occ: Boiler Plater
    James MUIR, unmarried lodger, 25 (Lochgelly, Fife)
    Occ: Angle Iron Smith
    Henry MUIR, unmarried lodger, 16 (Brit Subj, born America),
    Occ: Printer Compositer
    -----
    I wonder if the entire family moved to Glasgow before Robert jr married Mary Boag?

lizziebeth

Default French Polish

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Young
    -----
    I wonder if the entire family moved to Glasgow before Robert jr married Mary Boag?
    Hello Mary,
    Thanks for the information, which is more or less what i had. I think my ancestors had very itchy feet, John Alexander was the youngest of eleven, and they were born all over Fife!! I think his father was a travelling workman of some sort (did they call it journeyman?) Did i already say that Robert and Mary (Boag) married in 1893 in Old Kilpatrick? Would you (if you have not already) be able to have a look on the 1891 census to see if that sheds any light on it? Maybe Robert and Mary eloped! Then they might have omitted to put themselves down. Who knows!!

Mary Young

Hello Mary,
    I think my ancestors had very itchy feet, John Alexander's father was a travelling workman of some sort (did they call it journeyman?)
    A "journeyman" didn't necessarily travel about! It means "One who has fully served an apprenticeship in a trade or craft and is a qualified worker in another's employ" (derived from journei, a day's work).
    So he was paid by the day. But would perhaps move from one employer to another for better wages. He would be described as "journeyman tailor" or "journeyman joiner" etc.
    Would you be able to have a look on the 1891 census to see if that sheds any light on it?
    They would both still be single in 1891. Alas, no, I haven't looked at the 1891 - that census, and the 1901 are available only in person at Register House or one of the LDS Centres, on on-line at scotlandspeople (a pay-per-view site). I wouldn't recommend looking for Robert Donaldson on-line unless you are desperate, the name is common and you might spend a lot before finding him.

lizziebeth

Hello Mary,
    Many thanks for all your efforts in helping sort out my ancestry. I appreciate all your efforts, and i will continue searching. If and when i find anything exciting, I will be sure to let you know!
    Thanks Lizziebeth

Helen Morton

Default Regarding the entry of James Muir

Perhaps you can help me? I am looking for ancestors/ relies of James Muir born in Largo, Fife, 1835 and also THOMAS GRIEVE MUIR born LOCHGELLY, fife in 1875... Is your James Muir my James Muir or perhaps a brother of my Thomas Grieve Muir? Is it possible?
    helen

Helen Morton

Default Regarding the entry of James Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Young
    -----
    G'day,
    I was searching for 'Muir' and came across this thread, is it called a thread? Anyway, my James Muir was b in Largo, Fife in 1835 and had a son Thomas Grieve Muir b in LOCHGELLY, fife in 1875... is your James Muir my James Muir or possibly a brother of my Thomas Muir? Is it possible. Any help would be great...
    from Helen

lizziebeth

Smile

Hello Helen, Have responded with a PM (to your PM)

Mary, if you happen to read this, a quick update!! On the 1881 census I seem to have found a family by the name of "Bayne" who fit, , right christian names etc, also a death for Helen Boag in 1901 Old Kilpatrick, Dunbarton 501/000242.
    I guess the surname can be mistranscribed, or maybe just not very clear.
    I searched for ages for a Cruickshank with no success, until one day i misspelt it as "Cruishank", lo, and behold, there he was!!!!

Mary Young

Mary ... On the 1881 census I seem to have found a family by the name of "Bayne" who fit, right christian names etc.
    OOh, you are clever! Wish I'd thought of that. Looks good, names and ages OK, plus a nephew, interesting. At first I wondered why they were living in a "Tent" then realised it was a Tenement.
    Keep up the good work.

lizziebeth

Smile

I have to confess to a bit of help on that one!!! Cannot take all the credit. I must admit the tent thing worried me a bit too!!
    The only??? puzzle i now have is that i think Mary (daughter) had a brother who went to the USA, but i have no first name, in fact the only real clue i have is an original letter written, i believe in 1875 to Mrs Bogue saying that "He had bought a lot of houses and was living in one of them(31 brunswick street, Jersey City)". So, we solve one piece of the puzzle, only to find another one!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast